The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

Difference between 16 and 24 GB Ram on the M2:

View: https://youtu.be/PQIyCS3slQ4
TLDW: Very little difference, only really significant for tasks that border on torture tests, 24 GB is not really worth it over 16 GB.

Performance-wise may be, but 16GB is kinda limiting for doing many "actual work" tasks nowadays, and will certainly become a bottleneck a couple years down the line. I'd absolutely invest in 24 for future-proofing.

Apple just dropped the M2 Pro and M2 Max. Both are available on refreshed MacBook Pros of 14" and 16" of size, and the former, alongside with M2, is available in the new Mac mini. Which also gets a $100/€100 price cut for the base model. All I can say is, all of my yes.

The M2 Pro Mac mini might be my next desktop, and I surely hope the release of M2 Pro and M2 Max puts some base-model M1 Pro 14" MBPs on sale, because I still want that laptop, even if it's one-generation behind now. Okay, realistically, I'm too broke to even buy a used base-model M1 MacBook Air right now, but this is all exciting news for me. I'm looking into getting more into film-making as a hobby, maybe even as a job. (Not being a producer or anything like that, but doing some side-work. Fingers crossed, as I'll be looking for a job maybe even as soon as this summer.)

I'll definitely not be buying any of the machines I mentioned immediately, but after I save some money, I might. I definitely need a new laptop, for start.

Here is everything new:

View: https://youtu.be/6Ij9PiehENA
Looks like a segment that was cut out of a bigger digital event. Seems like these things were supposed to launch with the base iPad and iPad Pro back in October last year.

Anyways, just new internals for the 14/16" MacBook Pro; The M2 Pro/Max chips, which allows HDMI 2,1 (8K/60hz or 4K/120hz), wifi 6E, and bt 5,3. Not much besides this, so no need to upgrade if you have the M1 Pro/Max versions of either of these, but will be a sweet upgrade from any Intel-based MacBook Pro. Prices remain the same in the US, but are massively up everywhere else.

The Mac mini also gets the M2 chip, and also the M2 Pro, which is a very big deal, making it an excellent alternative to the base Mac Studio, will be very niece for everyone who want's to do photo editing, and prefers a desktop over something like the base M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro laptop. This also means the death of the Intel Mac mini, which was available with an Intel Core i7 until today. It's a bit expensive though, being more than twice the price of the base M2 Mac mini.

My 2012 iMac 27" received its final Security Update more than 5 months ago. I hope Apple decides to change their mind by offering a 2023 iMac 27" replacement by June.

Whether it be 27", 30" or 32" 6K display I'll get one

2020 iMac 27" had a base price of $1999. I expect it to cost at least that much. Looking at getting a base M2 Pro with 32GB memory & 512GB SSD when it becomes available.

I think it crazy that Apple's not offering the base 2022 Mac mini M2 with 16GB meory & 512GB SSD.

I had a 27" iMac too back in the day. I can't remember exactly but it might very well have been a 2012. I replaced it with a 27" 4K USB-C monitor and a MBP a long time ago. The MBP has since been replaced with an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 Air after I realized I missed having a desktop computer always on standby. I would come home, sit down at my desk and press the AnyKey™ expecting something to happen only to realize the computer was still in the bag.

Back when my MBP was gone for a few days having its battery replaced I actually used my USB-C as my desktop, iPad plugged into the monitor. Worked surprisingly well.

I think it crazy that Apple's not offering the base 2022 Mac mini M2 with 16GB meory & 512GB SSD.
oh they do... you just have to hit buy on the 8gb/256gb model and spec the 16/512 into it. at least on the german apple site that's doable (and will get the price up to 1150€ -.-).
1674716341892.png

My 2012 iMac 27" received its final Security Update more than 5 months ago. I hope Apple decides to change their mind by offering a 2023 iMac 27" replacement by June.

I think Apple would prefer you get an M2 Mini with the LG ultrafine 5k as a replacement for this.

I think Apple would prefer you get an M2 Mini with the LG ultrafine 5k as a replacement for this.
No, not now that they have the 27" Studio Display... ;) It's the same panel as the LG Ultrafine 5K, and the 5K iMac and iMac Pro had.

Yes, but for that just $200 over the price of the Studio Display, once upon a time, you could get an entire computer attached to the very same 5K display. Now you just get a display, webcam and speakers with an iPhone 11 chip controlling it all. No computer. You can get the computer separately, for the price of a mid-tier iMac 27", and it still comes with no keyboard or mouse.

In short, I don't think Mac Studio (or the Studio Display, for that matter) is particularly good value. Heck, after thinking about the prices and value a bit, I don't even think the Mac Mini M2 Pro I waited for so long is such good value. Sure, you get the M2 Pro chip, 16GB of RAM, and you don't get the same shitty SSD you get in the base-model M2, but the asking price of €1,549 in Europe seems just steep.

oh they do... you just have to hit buy on the 8gb/256gb model and spec the 16/512 into it. at least on the german apple site that's doable (and will get the price up to 1150€ -.-).
View attachment 3568207
What I meant is as a base model SKU and not configurable BTO upgrade.

Base model Macs with 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD largely stayed stagnant since year model 2012 Macs when the iMac was the 1st base model to get 8GB RAM at default SKU and 256GB SSD was in the MBP 15" Core i7 base model SKU.

In 2023, 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD should be found in M2 Macs such as

- $599 Mac mini
- $1199 Macbook Air 13"
- $1299 Macbook Pro 13"
- $1299 iMac 24"

While, 32GB RAM & 1TB SSD should be found in M2 Pro Macs such as

- $1299 Mac mini
- $1999 MBP 14"
- $2499 MBP 16"

64GB RAM & 2TB SSD should be found in M2 Max Macs such as

- $3099 MBP 14"
- $3499 MBP 16"

For Mac Studio

- $1999 M1 Max 64GB RAM & 1TB SSD
- $3999 M1 Ultra 128GB RAM & 2TB SSD

The Mac chips included do not need to change at these price points as they're plenty superior to anything Intel/AMD are making based on performance per Watt metrics.

Apple just comes short at RAM & SSD. Improve those points and they're golden.

Only place 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD would be permissible would be Macs based on a 3nm A17 Bionic chip that will be found in 2023 iPhone 15 Pro such as

- $699 Macbook 12"
- $299-399 Mac mini that used the smaller enclosure of a 2022 Apple TV 4K

Yes, but for that just $200 over the price of the Studio Display, once upon a time, you could get an entire computer attached to the very same 5K display. Now you just get a display, webcam and speakers with an iPhone 11 chip controlling it all. No computer. You can get the computer separately, for the price of a mid-tier iMac 27", and it still comes with no keyboard or mouse.

In short, I don't think Mac Studio (or the Studio Display, for that matter) is particularly good value. Heck, after thinking about the prices and value a bit, I don't even think the Mac Mini M2 Pro I waited for so long is such good value. Sure, you get the M2 Pro chip, 16GB of RAM, and you don't get the same shitty SSD you get in the base-model M2, but the asking price of €1,549 in Europe seems just steep.
Last iMac 27" base model SKU was priced at $1999. This was the 2020 model.

Fast forward to 2023 I am hoping for a iMac 27" replacement with either a 27", 30" or 32" 6K display to come out during WWDC 2023 in June.

If you are in the US and buy with Amazon you can get the $1599 Studio Display 27" for $1299.

What I meant is as a base model SKU and not configurable BTO upgrade.
Ah, misunderstood - yeah I agree there, it's kinda weird they do offer a 8/256 combo. Despite the fact that that will be enough for many users, it sorta feels like its only reason for existing is pushing the entry price down. Also, the price for their RAM/SSD upgrades is frankly outrageous... but that has always been the case, I guess.

I bought some plastic mounts for hanging Makita tools on the wall. Not for me, but dad needed them. How can you go wrong with a Fruugo seller named Hui Zhou Shi Sha Sha Bei Er Fu Zhuang You Xian Gong Si?

658478280_max.jpg

M2 MacBook Air compared to a Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro with the 13th gen Intel Core i7:

View: https://youtu.be/2paf_klNDa8
They cost about the same.

No contest... 2nd gen 5nm Mac SoC vs 10nm Intel chip...

But imagine jumping from

- 2011 MBP 13" 32nm
- 2012 iMac 27" 22nm

To

- 2021 MBP 16" 5nm
- 2023 iMac 27" 5nm