The Australian politics/election/whatever thread

I'll be voting Labor this year, but this has nothing to do with the Federal Government, it will only be out of support for our local member, who actually helped members of my family out when they were having issues with Centrelink and seems to know what they're doing etc. Otherwise, I can't stand any of our major political parties, and the Greens.....okay I do agree with some of their policies: eg: their opposition to the internet filter, and I do sit very much to the left of the political spectrum, but they're still stupid tree-huggers (although I would like to see more investment in renewable energy and an end to logging in old-growth forests), but they annoy me to death over so many other things! :lol:

I'll be voting Labor this year, but this has nothing to do with the Federal Government, it will only be out of support for our local member, who actually helped members of my family out when they were having issues with Centrelink and seems to know what they're doing etc. Otherwise, I can't stand any of our major political parties, and the Greens.....okay I do agree with some of their policies: eg: their opposition to the internet filter, and I do sit very much to the left of the political spectrum, but they're still stupid tree-huggers (although I would like to see more investment in renewable energy and an end to logging in old-growth forests), but they annoy me to death over so many other things! :lol:
No one is perfect - seems as good a reason to vote for someone as I have heard in a long time - more power to your elbow!

Greens policies are populist crap that have zero thought behind how they would actually work - they just jump on whatever bandwagon there is going.

I can't imagine for instance you'll find many people who would say increasing energy efficiency is a bad thing or reducing our dependence on natural resources etc, it's how we do it that's the real question. At least the liberals and the ALP state how they plan on doing things

Last edited:
That's precisely why I cannot bring myself to vote for them. They really have no concrete policies with regards to the issues they stand to place as their highest priorities, nor any workable action plans to enable them to achieve what they say they want to achieve. :?

at least your reasoning for voting for your candidate is solid, our local labor candidates pretty much riding on the "I'm not a liberal" and done absolutely zero

Well got my voting out of the way yesterday, postal votes for the convenience (and not being able to vote on the day) :D
Thanks to this lucky break I only got propaganda from one party whose story is much the same as Hidden_Hunter's - I've never heard her do anything, she didn't say what she was going to do but took a page to tell what the other bloke wouldn't do. Well, thanks for making the choice easy at least, here, take a number, it's 6.

pro tip pollies, at least try and get a picture on your billboards where I don't want to punch you in the face

I get the urge to punch the TV everytime abott's fucken face comes on the TV.

As much as I hate to say this, I think liberal will win this election by a small margin.

I'm betting for a very close election with a lot of non-votes/donkey votes. People are just dissatisfied with the performance of the "big 2" at the moment and there are no decent, large-scale viable altenatives.

Have to say I am in this sort of mindset at the moment, neither party is appealing to me any more and the only party whose ideals/policies appeal to me are basically trying to rebuild themselves from failure (Democrats). But I really don't like Abbott one bit, so I'm going to be voting to keep him out, rather than to give Labor a second term. Lesser of two evils thing I guess.

My Dad was shocked to see an ad for the Sex Party on a small rotating billboard not far from the MCG on Punt Road. He was quite interested to be honest :lol:

Currently watching Julia dodging questions on Q and A. It's frustrating. But at least we got something across:

Question from Audience:"From a scale of 1 to 10, how big of a tool is Mark Latham?"

Julia: "There are some things that can't be measured."

But I really don't like Abbott one bit, so I'm going to be voting to keep him out, rather than to give Labor a second term. Lesser of two evils thing I guess.

I hate Gillard AND Abbott, so blank vote might not be a bad way to go.

Or there is the sex party. lol

I hate Gillard AND Abbott, so blank vote might not be a bad way to go.

I'm so tempted to do that. I don't want Labor, Liberal, Greens, Lib Dem, Family First and Sex Party to rule my life.

If only the Pirate Party was in contention, I would vote for them just for the hell of it.

I hear liberal is planning on scrapping the high-speed fiber optic network.

How much longer do Australians have to wait to get internet speeds comparable to the rest of the developed world? :mad:

I hear liberal is planning on scrapping the high-speed fiber optic network.

How much longer do Australians have to wait to get internet speeds comparable to the rest of the developed world? :mad:

I like the idea of FTTH but it's just way too much money that we don't have, it's a case of you get what you pay for.

But it needs to be done, and it has to be done as soon as possible. Waiting another 10 years is just to long and it will cost a hell of a lot more in 10 years to do it than it will now.

But it needs to be done, and it has to be done as soon as possible. Waiting another 10 years is just to long and it will cost a hell of a lot more in 10 years to do it than it will now.

Why does it need to be done as soon as possible? As much as I'd love fast internet we've got other issues that take priority

Why does it need to be done as soon as possible? As much as I'd love fast internet we've got other issues that take priority

Because our network infrastructure is woefully inadequate and the world is ever moving to a more network based system, and we have to fix that issue. Imagine what the world would be like if they didn't lay all that ocean fibre before the internet took off.