The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Look 8 posts above lol.

But yeah, I'd be scared shitless.

Look 8 posts above lol.

But yeah, I'd be scared shitless.

Cue the sad trombone...

I am fail today... Glad I didn't go flying today like I was planning!

Air France Flight 447 black box found http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13255673

Hope they can find out the cause now.

BEA - AF447 1st May, 2011 Briefing

BEA said:
The investigation team localized and identified the memory unit from the Flight Data Recorder (FDR) at 10 h UTC this morning. It was raised and lifted on board the ship Ile de Sein by the Remora 6000 ROV at 16h40 UTC.

The FDR box was found last week without the memory unit. The BEA press release calls this the memory unit, which is progress provided that the data can still be read.

:)

BEA - AF447 1st May, 2011 Briefing

The FDR box was found last week without the memory unit. The BEA press release calls this the memory unit, which is progress provided that the data can still be read.

:)

The data should still be readable, as most FDRs these days use a form of flash memory for storage, as opposed to the metal tape used in older units. As long as no water got into the memory unit, it should be perfectly functional.

The data should still be readable, as most FDRs these days use a form of flash memory for storage, as opposed to the metal tape used in older units. As long as no water got into the memory unit, it should be perfectly functional.

Water ingress shouldn't be an issue, worst case they de-solder the memory chips and reattach them to a new board.

I get that rotary piston engines and radial engines aren't the same thing, all I was trying to say was, aren't the cylinders in both arranged radially? Like Wikipedia puts it:

The rotary engine was an early type of internal-combustion engine, usually designed with an odd number of cylinders per row in a radial configuration

So I failed at "choose your battles" and also at making clear posts... and also at understanding other people's posts......

me ->:hammer:

Water ingress shouldn't be an issue, worst case they de-solder the memory chips and reattach them to a new board.

Ah, good to know, thanks both.

My concern was that the BEA briefing translation may not be accurate and that the photo I posted was NOT the data module.

:cool:

Last edited:
It will be carted off to China in short order. Same thing happened with Pakistani F-16s and some downed Tomahawks.

Ah, the F15. I've always wondered what our Air Force would've looked like if we bought them instead of the Hornet.

IIRC we didn't buy the Eagle because it was too potent :lol:

Last edited:
I wish our flight attendants had that sense of humor...

"...insert a quarter for every minute of oxygen..."

I can almost hear some airline CEO's going "Hmmm"

Good on Southwest for making flying fun instead of giving the usual sit down and shut up briefing you get from other airlines. And I guarantee the passengers were actually paying attention to this one.

Good on Southwest for making flying fun instead of giving the usual sit down and shut up briefing you get from other airlines. And I guarantee the passengers were actually paying attention to this one.

That has to be the best flight safety instruction briefing ever. I have never been paying much attention to those...read off the card, and remember the first one. Then again, I don't mind the airlines' tactics of hiring really good looking flight attendants either...you definately pay attention :)

PhantomRayFirstFlight01_610x407.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13639_3-20059272-42.html

Boeing said today that its Phantom Ray unmanned aircraft has flown on its own for the first time.
The prototype unmanned airborne system, which sports a striking flying-wing design, flew for 17 minutes on April 27, reaching a speed of 178 knots and an altitude of 7,500 feet. More flights will take place in the coming weeks, Boeing said.

Render of what the "stealth chopper" used in the Bin Laden raid possibly looked like

mh-x3.jpg