The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

To top it all off, an FJ-4 Fury (a navalised cousin of the F-86 Sabre) ran off the very same runway a few hours later. Here's a video:

[video=youtube;SS8xFBgfp-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q[/video]

The F-16 that ran off comes into view at about 0:42; compare how fast he was going at the blue marker on the runway with the first F-16 (the start of the video). I'd bet that even without the tailwind complicating things, he would've run off the end anyways.

CIq1N.jpg

The F-16s and the FJ4 were both landing to the north (on Runway 36); I've circled the blue marker that we see the F-16s passing over in the video. Although there is a high-speed exit of sorts at the end of the runway, you still don't want to go into one at more than 50 knots in an airliner. Since the F-16 is kind of notorious for being really tippy on the ground, that speed is probably much lower.

As promised, here's the FJ-4 joining the F-16 in the mud:

What were the METARs at the time of the incidents? Was there a tailwind component in effect?

Hmm, Navy Week in Long Beach. I'm going tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to get a spot on the tour to the USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN-72.

How do you discipline a military pilot who makes a mistake like that? (That is if its ruled to be pilot error)

Reguarding the planes running of the end of the runways. The pilots aren't paying attention because of all of the cool planes around them. :p

How do you discipline a military pilot who makes a mistake like that? (That is if its ruled to be pilot error)

Something like this I would imagine:

Ramada Thompson: You were discharged from the service 18 months ago for willful insubordination. You disobeyed a direct order and lost a $13 million fighter in the process.
Topper Harley: Yes, I did. But I'm paying it off at ten bucks a week. And I wouldn't be doing that if I'd gotten that extra collision coverage.

Probably have him manning a radar station in Alaska for the rest of his career...

After seeing the picture of "Fifi" I started thinking of all the airplanes in which I have ridden. So I made a list and I thought it would be neat to see other people's lists...
My list isn't as nearly as impressive as other peoples list here, but here we go anyway;

Piloted:
Diamond DA40 TDI
Robin DR400
Piper Cherokee Cadet
Piper Warrior II + III
Piper Archer II + III
Socata TB10

Passenger:
Boeing 727
Boeing 737-300 + 400 + 500 + 700 + 800
Boeing 757
Fokker 28
Fokker 50
Fokker 100
Airbus A319
McDonnell Douglas MD11
Lockheed Tristar
Cessna 185

Soon to be added to the 'piloted' list will be the TB20 for my IR + CPL.

What were the METARs at the time of the incidents? Was there a tailwind component in effect?

I couldn't check the METAR in time for the F-16 incident, but the smoke coming out of the tailpipe would indicate about a 5-knot tailwind. The FJ-4 landed with the wind at 220 and 7 knots, giving another 5-knot tailwind component.

All of that said, the first F-16 landed and stopped safely in exactly the same conditions not thirty seconds before. All that extra speed he was carrying can't be explained away solely by the tailwind.

I couldn't check the METAR in time for the F-16 incident, but the smoke coming out of the tailpipe would indicate about a 5-knot tailwind. The FJ-4 landed with the wind at 220 and 7 knots, giving another 5-knot tailwind component.

All of that said, the first F-16 landed and stopped safely in exactly the same conditions not thirty seconds before. All that extra speed he was carrying can't be explained away solely by the tailwind.

I agree, but you know as well as I do how little margin for error there is during tailwind landings. Just a few kts over Vref will extend your rollout by a significant amount. Either way, not exactly the way the USAF wanted that arrival to go, I think. Wonder how badly damaged, if at all the FJ-4 was - looks like it took the off-runway excursion a bit better than the -16...

And another landing overrun, luckily no one was killed.

BBC News - Plane from New York crashes at Guyana airport

BBC News said:
A plane has crashed and broken in two on landing at Guyana's main airport in the capital, Georgetown, causing injuries but no deaths.

The Caribbean Airlines Boeing 737-800 flight BW-523 from New York had 163 people aboard.

The plane apparently overshot the runway at Cheddi Jagan International Airport during wet weather.

more via link

Aviation Herald - Accident: Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30th 2011, overran runway

Aviation Herald said:
Accident: Caribbean B738 at Georgetown on Jul 30th 2011, overran runway

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jul 30th 2011 09:19Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 30th 2011 14:36Z

A Caribbean Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration 9Y-PBM performing flight BW-523 from Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago) to Georgetown (Guyana) with 157 passengers and 6 crew, overran Georgetown's runway 06 by about 100 meters at 01:32L (05:32Z), broke through the perimeter fence, fell onto a perimeter road and broke up, the front section separating just ahead of the wing root. Seven people were taken to hospitals, two passengers received serious injuries (leg fractures).

The airport is currently closed.

The flight had originated in New York JFK,NY via Port of Spain.

more via link (including Metars)

I agree, but you know as well as I do how little margin for error there is during tailwind landings. Just a few kts over Vref will extend your rollout by a significant amount. Either way, not exactly the way the USAF wanted that arrival to go, I think. Wonder how badly damaged, if at all the FJ-4 was - looks like it took the off-runway excursion a bit better than the -16...

Supposedly, the FJ-4 was just towed out and inspected; no damage was found. Remember, it was designed to operate off an aircraft carrier, so it's built tough.

Wright B Flyer Replica Crashes

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (WDTN) - Two men testing a new Wright B Flyer replica died when the aircraft crashed Saturday morning in Clark County.

The crash happened at about 11:00am shortly after takeoff from the Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport.

Investigators say the plane went down in a field off of Pitchin Road.

The owner of Wright B Flyer, Inc., Phil Beaudoin, told 2 News that Mitchell Cary and Don Gum were taking part in a test flight of the new aircraft as required by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The aircraft is referred to as the Silver Bird. It was designed and built by volunteers as a modern lookalike of a Wright B Flyer.

The airplane had logged 25-hours of flight time since testing began.

Wright B Flyer Inc. released their condolences to us:

"Wright "B" Flyer Inc. and its members extend our deepest condolences to the families of Mitchell Cary and Don Gum. Mitchell and Don were volunteer pilots and members of the Wright "B" Flyer board of trustees. Mitch was a former president of the organization. Mitch and Don were highly competent pilots with extensive experience flying Wright "B" Flyer's airplanes and other experimental aircraft. They always observed the highest standards of safety. They made enormous contributions to our organization and to the aviation heritage community. They were good friends and we will miss them deeply."

Wright B Flyer, Inc. is an all-volunteer corporation that flies and displays lookalikes of the Wright Brothers' production plane models. Headquarters is based in Miamisburg, Ohio.

The NTSB is investigating why the plane crashed.

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/wright-b-flyer-replica-crashes

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2011/07/31/_controllerName_image_action_get_id_1202518_width_628_height_471.jpg

What's with all the bad stuff happening to planes this weekend? :(

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/08/03/747_final_drawing.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2011/08/photo-of-note-with-17-hours-to.html
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE523/history/20110802/1330Z/KPAE/KPAE

A flight crew testing the new Boeing 747-8F cargo plane had 17 hours to kill during a max endurance test last night so they decided to graffiti a message across the Western United States.

Boeing's new 747-8F is poised to deliver increased cargo capability for the world's major shippers in a plane that achieves improved efficiency. Scribbling "747" in an incredibly complex flight pattern starting in Seattle's Paine Field and zig-zagging around the U.S. is a strange, but awesome way to prove it.
http://jalopnik.com/5827285/clever-boeing-crew-sky+writes-747-across-united-states

I can?t believe they would do that and pass up the opportunity to draw the worlds largest random penis.

For the Lieutenant, now gone to the great pilots room in the sky.

?

Edit: Just saw LP avatar's, as I assumed, not looking good :|

Last edited: