The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

It's a Kamov Ka-26. I know Kamov is famous for it's twin rotors and went from the wikipedia-article about them to their helis.

Kaman K-MAX. Ugh.

k-max_04.jpg

It's a Kamov Ka-26. I know Kamov is famous for it's twin rotors and went from the wikipedia-article about them to their helis.

Twin-rotor Kamovs are awesome. It's a shame they only built very few of the attack ones (ca. 30 of the Ka-50 and Ka-52 together), and they don't seem terribly reliable.

Single-seater Ka-50:
Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg

Twin-seater Ka-52:
Kamov_Ka-52.jpg

excellent video, appropriate to the song and looks good even after all these years (first saw it on Wide World of Sports way back in the day)

Well, space travel aircraft will happen one day and the engine may or may not be the real thing.

But all that hyrogen fore and aft, would unsettle me somewhat.
The Fail says "civilian space travel" which implies carrying people. Now, Europe to Australia in four hours sounds great, unless you recall words like "Lakehurst, NJ" "Hindenburg" and "Oh, the humanity!"

:unsure:

North American X-15​

This was kickin' butt 50 years ago.

:cool:

It's great to hear news about the Skylon. I've known about that plane for years but hadn't heard of any real progress. Hopefully they will get high speed tests started in the near future. The Hindenburg is irrelevant when talking about it though, or planes and spacecraft in general. If they are carrying hydrogen, it is in liquid from, which means it can't explode. For it to become flammable, it needs to be warmed and aerosolized first.

Interesting and related fact. The shuttle Challenger didn't so much as explode as it broke apart. The leak in the SRB rotated the shuttle enough to increase the aerodynamic loads beyond what the structure was designed for, and thus broke apart. The fuel wasn't able to ignite until after it escaped the fuel tank.

I should go up to the Cape next week to watch the actual launch. That will be damn cool, and history in the making!

It's great to hear news about the Skylon. I've known about that plane for years but hadn't heard of any real progress. Hopefully they will get high speed tests started in the near future. The Hindenburg is irrelevant when talking about it though, or planes and spacecraft in general. If they are carrying hydrogen, it is in liquid from, which means it can't explode. For it to become flammable, it needs to be warmed and aerosolized first.

Interesting and related fact. The shuttle Challenger didn't so much as explode as it broke apart. The leak in the SRB rotated the shuttle enough to increase the aerodynamic loads beyond what the structure was designed for, and thus broke apart. The fuel wasn't able to ignite until after it escaped the fuel tank.

IIRC, the leak in the SRB caused the fuel in the external fuel tank to ignite, pushing the bottom cell up into the upper cell, and subsequently broke the shuttle apart when the loads increased. Also, its been proven the orbiter survived the breakup and several of the crew were able to engage their emergency oxygen supply - its terrible to think, but they were probably alive, and even conscious up until the impact with the water...

The Fail says "civilian space travel" which implies carrying people. Now, Europe to Australia in four hours sounds great, unless you recall words like "Lakehurst, NJ" "Hindenburg" and "Oh, the humanity!"

You might have reservations, but I'd fly that old tub if the opportunity presents itself.

You might have reservations, but I'd fly that old tub if the opportunity presents itself.
Space travel and Australia in one hour don't sound as great to me as crossing the Atlantic in style, drinking alcoholic beverages, smoking, chatting up ladies and dancing Charleston. The Hindenburg disaster would not have happened without wartime sanctions against Germany, so I don't see any reason not to bring Zeppelin travel back.

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of people screaming "Hindenburg!" every single goddamn time anyone wants to power anything with hydrogen? :?

Damnit wilt, I was gonna post that! What a video!!!

The Fail says "civilian space travel" which implies carrying people.

Yeah, Mail hyperbole. Although there are plans for a Skylon manned module, it's 'get to a space station and back' rather than 'go on holiday' territory.

It's great to hear news about the Skylon. I've known about that plane for years but hadn't heard of any real progress.

They've been working away steadily on it, person who validated the heat exchanger design used to sit at the desk next to mine.

Yeah, Mail hyperbole. Although there are plans for a Skylon manned module, it's 'get to a space station and back' rather than 'go on holiday' territory.

They've been working away steadily on it, person who validated the heat exchanger design used to sit at the desk next to mine.

Ah, OK!

Ten years unmanned and many of sucessful flights flown without incident, then I will join Mr. Chips in a passenger service to space.

Notice to airmen: Check your NOTAMs! :lol:

I suspect a government communications & marketing strategy at work here, to "reassure" the public that they are "doing something" and maybe to scare some bad guys.

There was also a pre-cursor story to this a while back, that the RAF was going to station Typhoons at Northolt, just north of Heathrow.

A B727 was crashed in Mexico a couple of day ago, for a TV documentary series. It was done with the agreement of the Mexican authorities. Pilots bailed out before crash.

(Can't imagine for a second the UK CAA allowing anything like that in Health & Safety land here. :lol:)

Video not great, but you get the ..

And ASN for those interested:

ASNDb - Boeing 727-212 XB-MNP 27th April 2012

ASNDb said:
A former Champion Air Boeing 727-200, with Mexican registration XB-MNP, crashed at Laguna Salada, west of the San Felipe-Mexicali Highway, in a tv crash test experiment.

The test was performed with coodination of the Mexican DGAC and goverment agencies, for a television programme being made by the UK's Dragonfly Film and Television Produtions, in association with the US Discovery Channel, as well as Germany's Pro Sieben and the UK's Channel 4.