The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Yeah, that is a bit disconcerting, to say the least.

071b6d1461e25e4644a08db2a7a7d1b1.jpg

Sorry about potato.

This is United Airlines anniversary plane for its 85th birthday back in 2011. It was taxiing here at SFO.

I've been enjoying this guy's Youtube series on aviation.

[video=youtube;-aQ2E0mlRQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQ2E0mlRQI[/video]
[video=youtube;thqbjA2DC-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thqbjA2DC-E[/video]

That requires some balls almost as big as ninjacoco's...

That requires some balls almost as big as ninjacoco's...

I will say it again, helicopter pilots are the right side of crazy.

Ever see the Dirty Jobs episode were Mike Rowe is herding reindeer up in Canada? They are not having any luck on foot and by car, so the helicopter pilot they had around for aerial shots fires up his bird, takes off and starts herding them from 2m of the ground Australian style......in a Ranger!

Last edited:
Those and Alaskan bush pilots.

Amen. This is the chap who landed his Robinson on top of a Skoda Yeti on Top Gear....

Sad news, another crash:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4a1c2ee4&opt=0

Crash: PIA AT42 near Abbottabad on Dec 7th 2016, engine problems

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Dec 7th 2016 12:18Z, last updated Wednesday, Dec 7th 2016 12:49Z

A PIA Pakistan International Airlines Avions de Transport Regional ATR-42-500, flight PK-661 from Chitral to Islamabad (Pakistan) with 47 people on board, declared emergency reporting problems with the left engine, shortly afterwards radio and radar contact was lost with the aircraft. Residents in Havelian near Abbottabad (Pakistan) heard sounds consistent with an impact. The crash site was located at that position about 25nm north of Islamabad. Emergency serivces are on their way to the crash site.

Local government sources report, seven bodies have been recovered, chances to find survivors are "bleak".

The airline reported contact with flight PK-661 has been lost, all resources have been mobilized to locate the aircraft.

Pakistan's Civil Aviation Authority confirmed the aircraft declared emergency shortly before it disappeared from radar screens. A search for the missing aircraft is underway.

Unverified information suggests the aircraft involved was AP-BHO.

That airline had been banned from the EU airspaces for unsafe maintenance and age of aircraft... it had been reinstated since then, but says something about its history. Must wait for official report of course.
RIP all involved and condolences to the families...

Yeah, I've noticed that none of the major US and European airlines seem to have these "lost" or crashed planes as often as the rest of the world.

Except Air France... they were the first airline to lose an A320, an A330, and an A340. Very good marketing for Airbus. I'm not taking any Air France A380s that's for sure...

Except Air France... they were the first airline to lose an A320, an A330, and an A340. Very good marketing for Airbus. I'm not taking any Air France A380s that's for sure...

First to lose a Concorde as well (not an Airbus product, but they (as Aerospatiale) were part of it's development) :(

Whoa, you have to have faith in the ILS and hope nobody fiddled with it as in Die Harder... :blink: