The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

^X2. A classic warbird needs to have a pin-up girl on the nose, not a corporate logo.

In other news, the TSA now bans airbags on flights.

I'm slightly worried that we'll eventually reach a point where you cannot get on an airplane with anything in your possession.

Other interesting aviation news:

1)

getAsset.aspx

Airbus A350-1000 gets some interesting tweaks.

2)

getAsset.aspx

Hornet goes supersonic on biofuel

3) RAF bans Eurofighter flights after finding ash deposits.

4)

getAsset.aspx

F-35 begins weapons testing.

I'm surprised not many of you have been talking about the F-35, especially now that they are FINALLY starting to test armed aircrafts.

Last edited:
I'm surprised not many of you have been talking about the F-35, especially now that they are FINALLY starting to test armed aircrafts.

It's a fat porker of an aircraft that has none of the grace of an early block F-16 or the brute looks of an F-15 or F-14.

Failpoints for having corporate BS instead of classic 40's reclining nude on the nose.

But the Win outweighs the Fail because they are using corporate money to keep a vintage warbird in the air.

It's a fat porker of an aircraft that has none of the grace of an early block F-16 or the brute looks of an F-15 or F-14.

Yup, this is supposed to be the awesome aircraft thread, not the cluster**** aircraft thread.

^ Yes, Red Bull also pulled this old DC-6 off the scrap heap and restored it...

P8220698.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. See, some sensible people are left out there. :)

You've not been to one of our weekend 5pm celebrations :p

/me loves being in the industry and using that

Absolutely beautiful. See, some sensible people are left out there. :)

I still think it's not as pretty as the shot I was lucky enough to get of a DC-3, just moments earlier...

P8221189.jpg

This is from about the same angle as the DC-6

P8221190.jpg

Annother interesting warbird, the Douglas A-26 "Invader", it had eight .50 cal guns in the nose.

P8220391.jpg

P8220381.jpg

These shots where hard to expose correctly, as they were all against the sun...

Reactions: MWF
Is that the Delta Gooney Bird? If so, I've been aboard that aircraft.

Ahh, I love that A-26 with a nose cone full of fuck-you-up.

Another plane that is awesome for several reasons:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/04/23/de_havilland_mosquito.jpg

Built out of wood, a non-strategic material, by furniture and cabinet makers (non-strategic labor) and adapted to everything from an interceptor, bomber, marine scout, night fighter, and recon (and probably a bunch that I'm missing).

Now that is awesome.

Yup, this is supposed to be the awesome aircraft thread, not the cluster**** aircraft thread.

I just don't like the way the F-35 looks, however it is a marvel of function over form and with the distributed optical system, helmet mounted sights and other goodies it may just change the way dogfights are done.

Bud damn is it ugly.

"You know what makes this bird go up? Funding makes this bird go up."

"No bucks...no Buck Rogers."

<3 The Right Stuff

Fun fact about P-38's: They had a polished aluminum oval on the inboard side of the nacelle so the pilot could verify landing gear position.

IIRC some test pilots said the original prototypes were a bitch to fly.

You're about 63 off. :p

How the hell did Red Bull get a Cobra gunship?

I for one welcome our new energy drink overlords.