The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

More Mach diamonds:

xcor_strip.jpg

217_scaled.jpg

This page is officially the most awesome page on FG

Anything with Jet engines will usually be awesome.

Can't really beat nine of them.

sr-71-blackbirds-pratt-whitney-j58-jet-engine-afterburner.jpg

Mach diamonds may be a man's best friend, but I'm not too sure how my females would appreciate them.

Might leave a burn mark or two :lol:

Last edited:
Last edited:

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

I always wonder how those planes are able to take off at all......the balls on those pilots must way 2 tons a piece.

Eh... I can't bring myself to like the A380. I respect it as an achievement of engineering but I can't like it like I do the 747, or the Twin Otter, etc.

That SR-71 though, is beautiful!

*sweet vid from the Red Bull Air Race in Windsor*

Wait for it...

Argh!!!! I should've gone. I was going to go watch the race, but they were saying that it was going to be a thunderstorm the whole day and it ended up coming an hour after the race was over. Needless to say I'm quite pissed at myself right now for having missed it. And it was only a 10min drive from me too...... :cry:

Eh... I can't bring myself to like the A380. I respect it as an achievement of engineering but I can't like it like I do the 747, or the Twin Otter, etc.

That SR-71 though, is beautiful!

Agreed. The A380 is fugly and we don't need such big, inefficient planes. The 777 FTW!

^* I don't know the numbers, but I seriously doubt that two 777s combined are more efficient than one A380. It's not for every route, but on some routes it definitely makes sense.

Also: Heh, I just watched the Windsor Air Race on the TV. Didn't see that almost disaster and awesome recovery though (didn't see the whole thing, wasn't paying attention for most of it). Air Race is.... man... just incredible.

* :p

Last edited:
^* I don't know the numbers, but I seriously doubt that two 777s combined are more efficient than one A380. It's not for every route, but on some routes it definitely makes sense.

Actually, Singapore Airlines (the A380's launch customer) has been keeping track of their fleet's performance, and the A380 actually has a better fuel-consumed-per-passenger than the 747 and the 777 (also operated by Singapore Airlines).

However, this doesn't mean that I like the plane. It's basically just a fat A340. It's ugly.

On top of that, it handles like a pig, it's difficult to taxi, you can't park it anywhere, and it's a nightmare to service (why airports hate it).
...but the biggest problem, by a mile, is that it's been nothing more than a financial disaster for Airbus. As of November 2009, there are only 202 orders for the A380. It is estimated that as a result of the delays the A380 project hit after 2005, Airbus needs at least 400 orders, though some speculate nearly 500, for the project to break even (Airbus won't specify the actual number. Their last report put the number at around 350, but Airbus has stated that the number has risen).

I will give Airbus kudos for achieving what many thought was impossible. The A380 really is an engineering marvel.
...but it's still an ugly pig...

IMO, the 747 is still queen of the skies!
39433.jpg

Handsome aircraft, isn't it?

Speaking of the A380, how's a picture of what was possibly the biggest inspiration for the A380 (never made it beyond the drawing board, though)?

MD-12.jpg

Last edited: