The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Having seen the space of the probe operator's, I'm wondering how all three of them got out. That being said, I'm thankful they did. That much aviation fuel can't be good.

Omega only has 3 aircraft in their inventory. 2 modified 707-300 (Now down to only one) and 1 modified KDC-10. All of these tankers are out fitted with two hose and Drogue assemblies. None of the aircraft have the boom assemblie under the aircraft so their would be no boom operater exposed to injury. That is why Omega can only refuel Naval and Marine aircraft. They can not refuel USAF aircraft because they dont operate any aircraft with a boom.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm near March ARB and they base the boom'd KC-135s out here.

Now, whats more intresting to me is the tail number of the aircraft that crashed. I have been looking for the Omega tail numbers and with 3 aircraft this should be easy. But all the photo's i have seen the 707 is a dark gray color. All of Omega's aircraft are white...

I know that Omega leased a aircraft that was dark grey but tuned it back over to the Israel airforce early this year. I found that tail plane on Airliners.net last night. make me scratch my head a little.

Now, whats more intresting to me is the tail number of the aircraft that crashed. I have been looking for the Omega tail numbers and with 3 aircraft this should be easy. But all the photo's i have seen the 707 is a dark gray color. All of Omega's aircraft are white...

I know that Omega leased a aircraft that was dark grey but tuned it back over to the Israel airforce early this year. I found that tail plane on Airliners.net last night. make me scratch my head a little.

I think the gray might just be fire damage, or some funny light at play. The crashed aircraft, N707AR, is white.

[video=youtube;3k-xG8XX1EM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-xG8XX1EM[/video]

Jump seat upgrade > First class upgrade.

1922024.jpg

my inner aviation-fanboi goes num num num!

Last edited:
^
You got a back seat ride in a Tornado? You are a lucky f**kin dude.

Still, I guess it helps to have a few spare Tornados lying about at work. :lol:

In other another not so quite happy aviation story:

1922024.jpg

my inner aviation-fanboi goes num num num!

The aircraft in the forground is G-ALYP, the first of two BOAC Comets that vanished into the Mediterranean in early 1954, both were lost with all hands.

G-ALYP (Wiki)
Aviation Safety Db - Accident Report Summary G-ALYP

Neither accident was the first fatal for the new Comet, but the investigation found that metal fatigue was the cause. This led to the fleet being grounded, a major redesign and a loss in public faith the aircraft, thus leading to its commercial failure.

:|

^
You got a back seat ride in a Tornado? You are a lucky f**kin dude.

Still, I guess it helps to have a few spare Tornados lying about at work. :lol:

Haha! Not quite, I'm in a Hawk in that image. I was tasked with doing a photoshoot of the anniversary-painted 41sqn GR4 over Dover.

Haha! Not quite, I'm in a Hawk in that image. I was tasked with doing a photoshoot of the anniversary-painted 41sqn GR4 over Dover.

Ah, still pretty cool :cool:

Work your ways up to a Tornado next, tell the drivers that you like them more than Typhoons etc, massage egos and whatnot.

:lol:

Haha, I'm working on it. I was talking to a bunch of pilots though who compared the Hawk to a Kart, and the Tornado/Typhoon to high-end BMW saloons. They said that the lack of an anti-G suit in the Hawk meant you really felt every twist and turn, even though the Hawk can't keep up the speed to maintain the G force. The full-suits in the Typhoon mean that even though the Typhoon can pull much higher G for much longer, the G-force barely registers with the pilots as the suit works so well.

That said, I've already put the feelers out that I want a passenger ride in a Typhoon high-performance take-off (full afterburners and vertical; goes from a standstill to airborne in 7 seconds!). :D