The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

That said, I've already put the feelers out that I want a passenger ride in a Typhoon high-performance take-off (full afterburners and vertical; goes from a standstill to airborne in 7 seconds!). :D

Video it down please. Maybe rig up a speedo or something and let us go OMFG at the way the numbers race.

That would be some awesome publicity for the jet, maybe I could borrow a speed gun from the RAF Police. The high-performance take-off is the same one seen in the TG episode against the Veyron, performed by one of our 29sqn jets.

BBC News - Flights cancelled as ash cloud heads towards UK

BBC News said:
Flights in and out of Scotland have been cancelled as a volcanic ash cloud from Iceland heads towards the UK.

BA, KLM, Easyjet, Flybe, Aer Lingus, Loganair and Eastern Airways have cancelled services on Tuesday, and some flights over the Atlantic were delayed.

The threat of further disruption led US President Barack Obama to fly out of the Republic of Ireland a day early to get to London for a state visit.

Ash from another Icelandic volcano led to huge disruption in Europe last year.

Air Force One

Mr Obama had been due to fly to the UK on Tuesday morning, but White House deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the decision to bring his arrival forward had been taken "due to a recent change in the trajectory in the plume of volcanic ash".

The Met Office forecasts the ash cloud will reach northern and western Scotland overnight, and will clip northern parts of Northern Ireland early on Tuesday. None of England is likely to be affected.

more on link

Different from last year, there will not be a blanket "all flights cancelled" ban.

:unsure:

^ That blanket ban was a little extreme, imho. I can only imagine how much crap authorities took for implementing it.

^ That blanket ban was a little extreme, imho. I can only imagine how much crap authorities took for implementing it.

It was the result of "when in doubt, ground". IMO in general the initial choice was correct, the amount of crap the authorities would have to take if the shit ash were to hit the fan turbine blades and do damage would be massively greater.

Whether the ban had to be that long, or that wide, is questionably of course.

I think this incident had a lot to do with it.

It was an extreme measure, but if it prevented an incident/accident from happening, then it was worth it. Imagine the outrage if the ban wasn't in place and an aircraft went down.

I still think the F-16 is one of the best looking fighter planes ever made.

I'll agree with that, but nothing will trump my beloved Tomcat:

0800623.jpg

I still think the F-16 is one of the best looking fighter planes ever made.

Until they got all fat with external pods and conformal fuel tanks...

I'll agree with that, but nothing will trump my beloved Tomcat:

0800623.jpg

One of the coolest things I've ever seen was one year during Fleet Week in Ft. Lauderdale when I was on my first destroyer they had a free concert on the carrier (that didn't have anyone I wanted to see but they had free liquor) and at the end they did an F-14 flyby. The Tomcat came off the water pretty low and slow, it got over the carrier and pulled straight up, the wings dropped back and the pilot went full after burner and shot up like a freaking rocket. Most awesomest thing EVER!
Too bad Dick Cheney screwed over the F-14 and led to it being retired eary.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/05/25/air_force_legacy_flight_by_xshadow259-d3h5un3.jpg

^ above pic

Has there been a similar pic with a P-47, A-1 and A-10? That will be epic. Not that i don't like the above picture, but the A-10 is a little out of place. :)

What we do here at work:

Just passed my commercial single-engine land, with instrument privlidges check ride. Phew!

Reactions: Jon
Congratulation :)

Just passed my commercial single-engine land, with instrument privlidges check ride. Phew!

:cheers: Congratulations.

Is that with an IMC rating or does "instrument privileges" mean something else?

So, are you going "float plane" (i.e. not land) or going for your twin rating next? :lol:

I'm just watching a TV program called "The Real A&E" on Sky TV.

The Air Ambulance Pilot was helping the flying doctor with the intubation procedure of a motorcylist involved with collision with a car. Also, as there is only one pilot, the front seat paprmaedic calls out the pre-takeoff and landing checklists, as well as map reading and route planning.

Impressive multi-skilling by the medics and pilots of "Helimed 53". :cool:

Last edited:
Aww yeah

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/05/25/CIMG2055_001.jpg

:cheers: Congratulations.

Is that with an IMC rating or does "instrument privileges" mean something else?

So, are you going "float plane" (i.e. not land) or going for your twin rating next? :lol:

Yeah, I already had my instrument rating, so it gets transferred to my commercial license. Next up is my multi rating, hopefully to be done by the beginning of July. Thanks again guys!

My only memory of my multi-rating checkride was the emergency gear extension procedure. Bad memory :|

That, and I think I remember flaring about 5ft to high. Definitely not my smoothest landing.