The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Eurojet_EJ2000_Austrian.jpg

http://defensetech.org/2011/06/13/eight-jet-engines-stolen-from-israeli-afb/

How the hell do you walk out of an airbase with 8 jet engines.

This reminds me of a guy who stole a car......from the plant he worked at were they were made.

You think that's weird? What was alot weirder was the fact that he manage to organise all of it so the thing got put in a boxtruck, the truckdriver sneaked it passed the guards, and they unloaded the thing at a secure location yet failed to realise he would get caught the second he tried to register the damn thing.......wich they promptly did.

Best theft (or attempted theft) story I ever heard about was from about 15 years ago, up in northern Alberta. A couple of Natives stole a big forklift from a rig site, then proceeded to drive into town, where they stole an entire liquor store. The store was just a mobile-home style trailer, but they were able to take the store by driving the forklift jack through the wall of the trailer and lifting it off the foundation. They didn't get far, though...the trailer broke apart after only a few feet.

Started CFI ground school yesterday. I think my head has since exploded...

I think this has been posted before:

C17_aircraft_alt.jpg

But there's a video to go with it:

[video=youtube;PysQYJorg-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PysQYJorg-s&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/video]

BBC News - Chile ash cloud delays more flights on two continents

BBC News said:
Flights in South America, Australia and New Zealand are still being disrupted by ash from a volcano in Chile, affecting thousands of passengers.

Hopes of a resumption of air travel from Argentina's capital were dashed after more ash fell on Buenos Aires.

Some services are operating normally in Australia but airline policies differ.

Qantas and Jetstar cancelled all services in and out of Adelaide, Tasmania and New Zealand on Tuesday, but Virgin resumed flights.

Australia? :?
Wow that is one big ash cloud. I wonder what criteria they are using for safe flying vs. ash particle size. We changed ours in Europe, during last year's Icelandic ash cloud chaos.

Started CFI ground school yesterday. I think my head has since exploded...

Good luck with that and I hope your first student is a hot chick, whose dad owns a brewery. :lol:
(It won't be. :p)

Good luck with that and I hope your first student is a hot chick, whose dad owns a brewery. :lol:
(It won't be. :p)

We have a dedicated swiss and german student program, so at least my chances are better than most!

This might be a repost, but posting it just incase:

t26Ph.jpg

Pretty sure these aren't reposts though!

AHp4T.jpg

B8iMp.jpg

eOKEn.jpg

Lvsjs.jpg

Qv2h8.jpg

Dfoxd.jpg

kI6P5.jpg

I dunno... I just can't get behind the F-35 as a "pretty" fighter plane. The tails and canopy put me off a bit

http://defensetech.org/2011/06/13/eight-jet-engines-stolen-from-israeli-afb/

How the hell do you walk out of an airbase with 8 jet engines.

I'm thinking those "lost" engines went to the same place that Israel gave all that Lavi and F-16 tech to.

I dunno... I just can't get behind the F-35 as a "pretty" fighter plane. The tails and canopy put me off a bit

The design is growing on me since the F-35 is much better looking than the X-35. Even if it is never a pretty plane it is still purposeful looking and some of the greatest planes are butt-fugly.

Last edited:
The design is growing on me since the F-35 is much better looking than the X-35. Even if it is never a pretty plane it is still purposeful looking and some of the greatest planes are butt-fugly.

While some butt-ugly airplanes made good planes, almost ALL of the pretty ones made GREAT planes!

A decent pic at the link

These Aerial Super Tankers Drown Forest Fires With 20,000-Gallon Waterfalls from the Sky

389,000 acres. That's how much of Arizona the Wallow fire has consumed since May 29th. With the blaze 0% contained, authorities have called in some of the largest air tankers in the world to help.

Aerial firefighting employs airplanes and helicopters to combat wildfires from above. Originally developed from WWII bombers, air tankers are built in a variety of capacities; from the single-seat 800-gallon Air Tractor AT-802F to the gargantuan Evergreen Super Tanker?a converted Boeing 747 that holds over 20,000 gallons. Firefighting helicopters, based on the S-64 Skycrane and Bell UH-1 Iroquois designs, have also been in service since the early 1990s.

The two largest air tankers currently operating in the US are the Evergreen Super Tanker and a converted McDonnell Douglas DC-10 with the call-sign, Tanker 910. Both are stationed at the Southern California Logistics Airport in Victorville, CA, about 20 miles North of San Bernardino. Tanker 910 can drop 12,000 gallons of water from its three underbelly-mounted storage tanks in as little as eight seconds. It can also spread that same load over an area 300 feet wide and one mile long from as low as 300-500 feet.

The Evergreen 747 Super Tanker is the Big Daddy of aerial firefighting. With a 20,500 gallon capacity, it is the single largest Air Tanker in the world, and represents the next-generation of Super Tankers. Development of the $40 million project began in 2002, spurred by the crashes of both a Lockheed C-130A Hercules and a Consolidated PB4Y-2 that year. The plane made its maiden voyage in 2004 and was in service by 2009. The Evergreen can dispense either water or fire-retardant gel and foam. Its advanced release system allows the pilot to control the rate of dispersal; as gently as natural rain to an overwhelming, near immediate evacuation under high pressure. Its able to lay down a path of fire retardant three miles long and 160 feet wide.

N177L.jpg

dwi1-2.jpg

Last edited:

The problem is the F35 is ugly and has low potential to be great.

Last edited:

If you look at it as a revolutionary 5th Generation fighter... I agree. But if you look at it as a 21st Century F-16, a 4.5th Generation fighter, then I think it stands a good chance of not being a total piece of poo

They tried to make it to do too many things at once... and then went significantly over budget trying to do those things.