The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I'm very much alive and kicking but there's a big mistake in that video. 3:50-4:00 they say that the sound barrier was broken on December 9, 1946. That's when the X-1 made it's first flight, not when it broke the barrier.

Now I feel like part of my childhood was a lie. :(

There are factual errors here and there, but Wings was pretty accurate most of the time. I can forgive their errors, though, as the video footage is usually top-notch.

Going to say the WINGS programs of the late 1980's and early 1990's were apart of my daily after school routine. Hey I even remember watching the Wings channel in the late 1990's which is now the Military channel. I miss Wings... :(

thought this was the best place to post this:

[video=youtube;u3-ewPoWtW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-ewPoWtW0[/video]

Yeah... I'll probably go see it. lawl

I have a HUGE soft spot for Pixar, so why the hell not?

Are you sure 'planes' is actualy real and not a viral promotion for the second cars movie?
If not then awesome, it's just that the new cars will have a bond-parody like plot so I see fighterplanes fitting quite well in it, hence were they got the material for this. (existing footage/character models)

Are you sure 'planes' is actualy real and not a viral promotion for the second cars movie?
If not then awesome, it's just that the new cars will have a bond-parody like plot so I see fighterplanes fitting quite well in it, hence were they got the material for this. (existing footage/character models)

true eh? i seriously hope it's not a parody/viral video :(

8Vtvm.jpg

Has anyone heard anything about a supposed mach 4 private jet that's going to be unveiled at the Paris air show? My brother was saying he heard stuff about it....... I mean..... dude.... that's not possible..... seriously...

Does plane engines count in here? A Bristol Hercules awakens after a 30-year slumber.

Reactions: Jon
Has anyone heard anything about a supposed mach 4 private jet that's going to be unveiled at the Paris air show? My brother was saying he heard stuff about it....... I mean..... dude.... that's not possible..... seriously...

They're still trying to make Supersonic private jets atm, but last I recall both projects have stalled.

Aerion:

600_downloads-ext6-lo-rez.jpg

aerion_supersonic_business_jet.jpg

Quiet Supersonic Transport:

4a834a1927902.jpg

4a834a1b6ce0c.jpg

so either someone's made some revolutionary breakthrough and found a way to make a private jet do Mach 4 without costing the Earth, or it'll just be another fancy render.

The new mini-series The Kennedys aired tonight on BBC2.

In flashback to WW2, the program focused on Joe Kennedy, Senior and his ambition for high office initially for himself, but later for his son Joe Kennedy, Junior - JFK's older brother, until his death in action in 1944.

BBC TV - The Kennedys

BBC TV said:
Greg Kinnear and Katie Holmes star as President John F Kennedy and his wife, Jackie, in Stephen Kronish's compelling drama series, charting the triumph and the tragedy of the first couple.

On the eve of the 1960 presidential election, John F Kennedy is poised to become the youngest man ever elected to the office. While he and a heavily pregnant Jackie are forefront in the media spotlight, behind the scenes Kennedy family patriarch Joseph P Kennedy Sr works furiously to ensure his son's victory over Richard Nixon.

The Kennedys (IMDB)

The program covered Joe, Junior's death and his need to take risks to support his future political career. It did not cover much in the way of detail.

From Joe Baugher's site:
Joe Baugher said:
USN 42-32271 (ex USAAF B-24J 42-110007)
in special unit SAU-1. Loaded with Torpex explosives, exploded in midair over Newdelight Wood, Suffolk, UK 8/12/1944.

Lt Joseph Patrick Kennedy, Jr (JFK's older brother) and Lt Wilford J. Willey killed. Intended target was V-site at Mimoyecques.

Operation Aphrodite (USAAF) and Anvil (USN)

Joe, Junior was flying a B-24J Liberator for USN SAU-1 "Operation Anvil". The B-24J relabeled by the USN a PBY8/BQ-8. The plane was then stripped out, given radio controls and filled with explosives.

Volunteer pilots had to get the plane airborne, as this was beyond the current radio control capabilities. The pilots would then arm the bombs and bail out.

Had Joe Junior not been killed in 1944, he may well have been elected as President in 1960, instead of JFK.

Thought this was pretty much hot air like always but, it turns out a company may be quite serious about the project and has recently received two unique patents for the aircraft in question. At the show they will talk about the design features and the new age engines to power the aircraft. This is the only information i could find on the project at the moment but, i will continue to look. To be honest I don't think they will find money for the project but, the engine concept is interesting to say the least.

Click the link below to read about the aircraft.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/aviation_week/on_space_and_technology/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=a68cb417-3364-4fbf-a9dd-4feda680ec9c&plckPostId=Blog%3aa68cb417-3364-4fbf-a9dd-4feda680ec9cPost%3aed395b1c-7923-4f8b-95ed-30de4c7d050a&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Last edited:
Does plane engines count in here? A Bristol Hercules awakens after a 30-year slumber.

is that propeller driven straight from the crank or does it have some gear ratio? the propellor is turing quite fast compared to the rpm the engine seems to be making!

is that propeller driven straight from the crank or does it have some gear ratio? the propellor is turing quite fast compared to the rpm the engine seems to be making!

Looks direct to me. Not enough room for a gearbox.

Anyway, more plane pr0n:

F-111F_dropping_high-drag_bombs.jpg

Bristol-hercules_east-fortune.jpg

aha! the gear on the engine side is obviously smaller than the one on the propeller side, increase the propeller rpm!

and nice to see all the timing gears...