The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

BBC News - South Korean troops mistakenly shoot at passenger jet

BBC News said:
South Korean troops have fired at a passenger jet after mistaking it for a North Korean aircraft.

Soldiers on Gyodong island, off South Korea's west coast, fired 99 rifle rounds at the Asiana flight, which was out of range and landed undamaged.

The incident took place early on Friday close to the tense border between the Koreas.

more on link

It was an Asiana Airbus A321 landing at Seoul, fired at with K2 rifles.

aha! the gear on the engine side is obviously smaller than the one on the propeller side, increase the propeller rpm!

and nice to see all the timing gears...

Exactly the opposite of a turboprop engine which uses a reduction gearbox to slow down the propeller. Cool stuff!

BBC News - South Korean troops mistakenly shoot at passenger jet

It was an Asiana Airbus A321 landing at Seoul, fired at with K2 rifles.

AAR_A320-200_HL7762_MYJ_20090811-001.jpg

Not sure how you can mistake this for a military jet :think:

Does plane engines count in here? A Bristol Hercules awakens after a 30-year slumber.

My god i did sex wee'd .. :shock2:

I need to go to my shed and build something RIGHT NOW.. man style.

Love the streak of blackness on the grass right under the exhaust pipe :lol:

How bad would you love to get on your hands and knees and just smell it?? ..

...just me?

This is an a useful and interesting website. Although not as complete* as it might be, it has nice screen caps of the aircraft used by each film shown.

The Internet Movie Plane Database

More a Wiki site than a database really, looks fairly good for accuracy on the films I have looked at, so far.

*Completeness: For example, it doesn't list "Catch-22", but does list a not very well known Hitchcock film, called "Saboteur".

:smile:

Last edited:
They're still trying to make Supersonic private jets atm, but last I recall both projects have stalled.

Aerion:

so either someone's made some revolutionary breakthrough and found a way to make a private jet do Mach 4 without costing the Earth, or it'll just be another fancy render.

The SR-71 was more effiecent the faster it went, so why not use a similar engie setup?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR71#Air_inlets

One unique characteristic of the SR-71 is that the faster it went, the more fuel-efficient it was in terms of pounds burned per nautical mile traveled. An incident related by Brian Shul, author of Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet, was that on one reconnaissance run he was fired upon several times. In accordance with procedure they accelerated and maintained the higher than normal velocity for some time; afterwards they discovered that this had reduced their fuel consumption

If they reduced their fuel consumption, they used less fuel.