The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

That particular CF-18 accident is, as of this day, still under investigation. I was just reading the most up-to-date report on the accident a few days ago and they've yet to find a cause. After the accident, the DFS investigators inspected the engines and found nothing physically wrong with them, and there were no additional signs of anything going wrong from the memory units and other data recorders onboard. As of this time, the engines are being disassembled at the QETE (basically, the technical arm of the RCAF's Directorate of Flight Safety) for detailed inspection and analysis.

I would think that when a compressor stall occurs the computer should measure an increase in turbine speed (overspeed indication) due to the lack of smooth air coming threw the intake. Also due to the low horizontal speed and the high angle of attack a compressor stall is very likely. Plus, if a compressor stall occurred the engines should look normal even after the crash apart from the crash damage its self.

The fact that there is nothing physically wrong with the engines would lend credence to a compressor stall, but a compressor stall should still produce symptoms that the data recorders would have picked up.

Last edited:
I would think that when a compressor stall occurs the computer should measure an increase in turbine speed (overspeed indication) due to the lack of smooth air coming threw the intake. Also due to the low horizontal speed and the high angle of attack a compressor stall is very likely. Plus, if a compressor stall occurred the engines should look normal even after the crash apart from the crash damage its self.

Increased motor speed is a symptom of compressor stall, but it is one of many symptoms that don't necessarily appear in any given compressor stall, just the same as surging, increased temperatures and flameout. The only common thread is a reduction in airflow caused by the compressor blade airfoils stalling, causing a reduction in engine power.

It is entirely possible that the stall was so brief that it never registered on the engine instruments, yet still resulted in a loss of power in the one engine.

I don't think speculation will really help anyone at the moment, let's just be thankful that a very nasty event has thankfully had little effect on those involved.

Random shot from work:
6928976829_ae3238a507_b.jpg

071106-F-1234S-008.jpg

Very rarely do we see beautiful aviation photography. That is an example. Too bad it wouldn't get accepted to Airliners.net

I used to, but for some reason they get rejected way too much... If you look up my real name "Jeff Fink" you'll see what I have on there now

I used to, but for some reason they get rejected way too much... If you look up my real name "Jeff Fink" you'll see what I have on there now

Those photos in your above post all have more than one pixel of sky next to the wings: instant A.net reject. :rolleyes:

Even if the number one failed the number two should have picked up the load. I know on our CH-47s if an engine loses power the other engine automatically pickups the load of the failing engine. If it was a compressor stall the pilots would have seen the TGT spike and their would have been a grand amount of noise in their head sets plus the large "BANG" that comes with a compressor stall. Maybe if the pilots could not get her to turn they were having issues with the AFCS?

Even if the number one failed the number two should have picked up the load. I know on our CH-47s if an engine loses power the other engine automatically pickups the load of the failing engine. If it was a compressor stall the pilots would have seen the TGT spike and their would have been a grand amount of noise in their head sets plus the large "BANG" that comes with a compressor stall.

Good point, in the event of say a bird strike or FOD pickup on one engine, the other engine may be enough to get them out of trouble, depending on the stage of the flight.

Maybe if the pilots could not get her to turn they were having issues with the AFCS?

Could a flight control system problem by itself, cause both the engines to stall out?

:?

(Probably have to wait until the investigation report is published to know, if the military does release them.)

Aviation Firsts Wiki said:
First woman to fly across the English Channel: Harriet Quimby, from Dover, England and landing at Hardelot-Plage, Pas-de-Calais, on April 16, 1912, taking 59 minutes.

Harriet Quimby

An American aviatrix who was the first woman to ever hold a pilot's licence in America, but sadly died soon after her Channel crossing, in an air accident.

Having just posted in the "How Far Have You Driven?" Thread, I got to thinking, how far have I flown so far in my flying career?

I fired up Excel, and I did some speed averages for each aircraft type I've flown (I did treat all the piston singles as one type; not much variation in speed, especially considering the vast majority of my time is in a handful of similarly performing models), and I came up with a rather interesting answer...apparently, I flew my millionth nautical mile sometime last week!

Nice! I'm planning to get one of these: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16297 and putting a small push pin into each airport I've flown into and tie a string in-between all the different routes I've flown. I just want to see how much over the ground I've covered slash seen from the air...

Quick question - Does anyone know how many airworthy DH Mosquitoes are left in the world?