The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Is there a way to find that out and prepare for it? I'm just thinking about my plane spotting attempts at FRA in the last couple of months. There is no way to tell which runway which plane is gonna take until maybe 5 minutes before it lands. And changing ones position from one to another runway at FRA takes at least 15-20 minutes by bike. By car it takes even longer :p

Is there a way to find that out and prepare for it? I'm just thinking about my plane spotting attempts at FRA in the last couple of months. There is no way to tell which runway which plane is gonna take until maybe 5 minutes before it lands. And changing ones position from one to another runway at FRA takes at least 15-20 minutes by bike. By car it takes even longer :p

1- Find the ATIS info. Some airports broadcast it over the phone, you just need to find the phone number.
2- Track the plane with an ADSB flight tracker (http://planefinder.net/ or http://www.flightradar24.com/) if the plane you want to track is ADSB equipped, otherwise track using a classic flight tracker like http://flightaware.com/

Or beyond that, if you've got a scanner, don't listen to the tower frequency; listen to arrivals instead.

AirNav KSFO

Approach and ATIS freqs. are on here, as well as the phone number for automated "ATIS" via ASOS.

Is there not a NOTAM?
May help TerranCmdr with his flyby and Chaos with the expected arrival time .

:smile:

NASA had info on their site when they flew over DC.

They keep saying they'll post more info when it gets closer, but I really want to plan ahead a little. I don't want a picture of the plane and the back of 50 peoples' heads.

I'll see if I can get my Ham HT to pick up any usable frequencies.

www.spaceflightnow.com

Its what I use to know when we're going to have rocket launches. Wx sucks along its route of flight as of now, so she's stuck here until at least tomorrow. I'm hoping to swing up to the cape for its departure.

Some more info about the San Fran flyover. Looks like I'm going to be joining the hoards of people by the Exploratorium. Nice place to get a picture anyway.

There, Endeavour will fly over the Capitol and turn to San Francisco, where those hoping to catch a glimpse of the shuttle are advised to watch from one of several Bay Area museums, including the Chabot Space and Science Center, the Exploratorium, the Bay Area Discovery Museum, the Lawrence Hall of Science and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

readers-fly-past_2345322k.jpg

plane-vapour-iran_2345314k.jpg

shuttle-plane_2345306k.jpg

Last edited:
Endeavour lands at LAX today. TerranCmdr should have seen it about an hour and a half ago.

I saw it land:

I know, I'm cross-posting.

I was right by LAX when it did an initial flyby and then landed.

shuttle 1.JPGshuttle 2.JPGshuttle 3.JPG

Too cool guys! I had to work the other morning :( so I couldn't see her depart, but glad you all welcomed the old girl to her new home...

In other news, I visited my company's facility in Savannah, GA where they do all of the factory Gulfstream initial and recurrent training. I snagged a solid hour of Gulfstream IV sim time while I was at it too!

The%2520Factory.jpg

Sitting outside of the FBO we stopped at:
JetstarII.jpeg

Various G450/550 classrooms
G450%2520Training%2520Room.jpg

G550%2520training%2520room.jpeg

Hospitality (meals and in-flight service) training:
Hospitality%2520Training.jpeg

The dunk tank (water survival training)
Dunk%2520Tank.jpeg

Dunk%2520Tank%2520Rafts.jpeg

And the sim
GIV%2520Level%2520D.jpeg

GIV%2520Sim.jpeg

Last edited:
:drool: I love that plane, and I can't explain why. I've loved it ever since I was a kid.

Its easily my favorite business jet of all time (tied with the Global Express i suppose). Its one of those aircraft that's so ugly, its beautiful. Lockheed has hit a number of homers in its day, and this was just another of them. Nothing turns dead dinosaurs into black smoke and noise quite like it and with such style!

I took that picture for you all... I know the love of the Jetstar is strong in these parts!

Jetstar fanboy here too. First saw it in Goldfinger, and was immediately hooked. Maybe it's the combination of small plane and four rear jets, which by itself is pretty uncommon.

Another Jetstar fan here. :thumbup:
Shame how we don't see them around here now.

In other news, I visited my company's facility in Savannah, GA where they do all of the factory Gulfstream initial and recurrent training. I snagged a solid hour of Gulfstream IV sim time while I was at it too!

The%2520Factory.jpg

And the sim
GIV%2520Level%2520D.jpeg

GIV%2520Sim.jpeg

And I hope you logged your sim hour too. That looks an excellent facility to train at and lots of interesting toys to play with.

:love: GIVs too.