The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

They made this opening scene from a helicopter in one sequence. I like it a lot:

Wow.

Crappy video, but I was able to watch the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch from my house last night. Was quite beautiful - and the first night launch I've ever seen. It was definitely impressive!

HB-LSK-15-750.jpg

:love: SeaBees!

(A Swiss one with a tiny, tiny flag on the fin. Lake Geneva?)

Funny how two of them in one frame doesn't make them look any prettier...

:barf:

Really great photo. Did you take this from the spot near the A5?

Yup, that was taken from there. I didn't even notice that both planes were A380s until I pushed the trigger of my cam.

As for their prettyness I nickname them bumblebees from the first day I saw one in person...

They are not pretty per se, but impressive :p

I was there the day before you, cause it was kind of stormy and I wanted to capture some wind-sheer approaches. But it wasn't that spectacular in the end :p

I'm pretty confident they are LAU-7 sidewinder missile rails. I have literally no idea what I'm talking about but some guy in the comments said thats what they were so it must be true. This is the internet after all.

FlightRadar24 Twitter feed:

Turkey has forced a Syrian passenger plane en route from Moscow to land in Ankara. Turkey says the passenger aircraft is suspected of carrying heavy weapons to Damascus.

You can view the flight on FR24 playback. It looks like the aircraft turned the transponder off near the Turkish coast, on contact with Turkish F16 jets.

http://fr24.com/2012-10-10/13:16/SYR442
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443294904578048761733433052.html

Same story on the BBC:

BBC News - Syrian passenger plane forced to land in Turkey

(It is also under discussion in the Political Forum too.)

Well it seemed like the F-16 interception procedure worked well and the Captain complied. Plane searched, some items held, plane now off on its was to Syria. As to all matters outside, that'll be the politics.

On the FR24 aircraft data tag, anyone know what the Hex data: 778565 refers to? :?

(I know what hexadecimal data is in computer storage, but do not know the context here.)

On the FR24 aircraft data tag, anyone know what the Hex data: 778565 refers to? :?

(I know what hexadecimal data is in computer storage, but do not know the context here.)

the 778565 refers to the transponder's unique 24-bit Mode S code.

oh, i totally forgot to mention, i finished "acquiring and digitizing" Sled Driver, its now in clean ebook format if anyone wants :) PM me for a link, keep it with yourselves also, i did this only because of the ridiculous price tag and lack of ebook version, and its worth reading.

I can't pm yet as I'm new ish but I was hoping for that link! I've been trying to find a copy for years and really don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a book. Any chance you can help please?