The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Interesting aircraft of the day, the Canberra, specifically the NASA RB/WB-57F version. Thought of it because the city of the same name was mentioned in the "Questions about moving to Australia" thread.

Last edited:
I love the Canberra, mostly in it's modified RB-57F form. Those things have been in service for nearly 50 years now. (the -57F)

All great shots, that DC-3 is gorgeous. :love:

Aviators

Did we know that Harry Houdini was a pilot? I didn't know this!

He bought an airplane in 1910 and took it on tour to Australia, where he made some of the earliest flights by anyone in Oz. (He was not the first person to fly there.)

More here:
List of famous figures with an aviation history. (Wiki)

:smile:

Aviators

Did we know that Harry Houdini was a pilot? I didn't know this!

He bought an airplane in 1910 and took it on tour to Australia, where he made some of the earliest flights by anyone in Oz. (He was not the first person to fly there.)

More here:
List of famous figures with an aviation history. (Wiki)

Hmm I can't really see him being a pilot.

Aviation is magical isn't it?

Flying really is a great escape!

Okay I'll stop now. :p

And now I really want to hear Morgan Freeman making radio calls to the tower.

An ICBM launching C-5A Galaxy? Fuck!

MMIII_C5_airdrop%28Oct_1974%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-30_Minuteman#Mobile_Minuteman_program

On 24 Oct 1974, the Space and Missile Systems Organization successfully conducted a Air Mobile Feasibility Test where a C-5A Galaxy aircraft air dropped the 86,000-pound missile from 20,000 feet over the Pacific Ocean. The missile descended to 8,000 feet before its rocket engine fired. The 10-second engine burn carried the missile to 20,000 feet again before it dropped into the ocean. The test proved the feasibility of launching an intercontinental ballistic missile from the air. Operational deployment was discarded due to engineering and security difficulties, though the capability was used as a negotiating point in the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks.

A short clip from a one hour documentary made about the trans-Atlantic crossing of four B-25s required for filming in England before the Harrison Ford movie Hanover Street (1979).

* snip YT clip *

Mitchells Do Fly in IMC.

The Harrison Ford movie was crap, but the documentary was very interesting and I used to have it on VHS, but no more.

:sad:

Believe it is available around the Internets, if you Google.

.. and now also on Youtube in full!

Mitchells Do Fly in IMC. (63 minutes)

Very highly recommended, if you like flying and old airplanes. It shows how to fly four B-25s from America to England, across the Atlantic in formation.

:cool:

EDIT:
Where are they now?
Flypast Forum (2006) said:
44-29121 N86427 Museo del Aire, Madrid. "Doolittle Raider"
44-29366 N9115Z Traded to RAF museum Hendon London. "Always Dangerous"
44-30210 N9455Z Still owned by David Tallichet and on loan to March AFB Museum, CA. "The Sliver Plane"
44-30925 N9494Z Brussels Air Museum Foundation. ?Laden Maiden,"
44-86701 N7681C Destroyed in museum fire Paris. "Tokyo Express" :sad:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the story behind this is but it is damned impressive.

Thereisastoryhere.jpg

Impressive. But considering that the deceleration during a normal landing on an aircraft carrier is probably between 2 and 3 G, it makes sense that it can hold an aircraft like that.

I'm not sure what the story behind this is but it is damned impressive.

* snip F9F Cougar pic *

An amazing image, have not seen that before.
I tried to google the BuNo but didn't get anywhere, except that it's a F9F.
(I knew it wasn't an A-4 and am not very good on Navy jets of the 60's.)

Aviation Herald - Inter Iles E120 near Moroni on Nov 27th 2012, engine trouble, ditched in the Ocean

A good news story, all 25 passengers and 4 crew escaped without serious injuries. A passenger reported that there was an engine failure 4km from the departure airport.

Not perfectly accurate, but not bad either.

Last edited:
lightning-aircraft_2414549k.jpg