The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Has Airliners.net been down for anyone? I can not connect to it, no matter what device I use.

article-2253449-1638FDB5000005DC-425_964x524.jpg

I thought that was picture proof that the Irish Pilots joke of a really short but extremely wide runway was a true story!

Pretty significant double-post-in-a-post there wiltzei. Awesome pictures/videos nonetheless. :p

Whoa... that's quite a lot closer to decapitation by propeller than I'd like. Got any information on what the hell happened? Looks like the pilot misjudged the approach badly... and the security was really bad, or rather non-existant, if people are allowed that close to the runway.

I was there a couple of minutes afterwards an landed at the airfield a couple of times myself.
The Transall made its final landig there to be decomissioned and sent to a museum.

The runway is approximately about 800m long (too lazy to look it up) while the Transall needs 580m .
So obviously the pilot wanted to hit the threshold spot-on.

They simply didn't account for the fact that the road is on higher ground than the airport itself and I'm not sure wether it's mentioned in the aerodrome chart.

The spectators being this close is a matter of poor organisation though.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this video of a plane that crashed in Moscow yesterday?

Why are there so many videos with Russians filming their car trip?

Jet noise is drowned by the 109 -_- They use some lesser thrust modern powerplants nowadays AFAIK.

Those new build Me-262s use General Electric J85 engines (the same as in the F-5); they are more reliable and rather more powerful than the Jumo 004 engines of the original aircraft (to say nothing of the availability of the J85).

Those new build Me-262s use General Electric J85 engines (the same as in the F-5); they are more reliable and rather more powerful than the Jumo 004 engines of the original aircraft (to say nothing of the availability of the J85).

and they don't tend to catch fire as much

I want to see a flight worthy AR-234

Why are there so many videos with Russians filming their car trip?

If what I've heard is correct, you can get discounted insurance if you agree to have a camera in your car.

Once we get bored of the jet planes, let's go for the rocket ones. See if we can get an Me-163 or Ba-349 replica into the air.

Once we get bored of the jet planes, let's go for the rocket ones. See if we can get an Me-163 or Ba-349 replica into the air.

You're aiming too low again, Charles. Spruce Goose or the Caspian Sea Monster at least!

You're aiming too low again, Charles. Spruce Goose or the Caspian Sea Monster at least!

Those Ekranoplans give me a massive woody. I love that old funky, smoke-billowing, Soviet design...

the A-90 was always my favorite:
1.jpg