The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Just got me thinking about Ekranoplans: How well do they 'fly' in shitty weather? I mean, with all of the wind and crap + rolling waves, and the reliance on ground effect, it makes the layman (aka me) think they can only operate in fair weather.

Those Ekranoplans give me a massive woody. I love that old funky, smoke-billowing, Soviet design...

the A-90 was always my favorite:
1.jpg

Its Daddy would like a word....

58005.jpg

UK Surviving Lancasters (wiki)

wiki said:
Lancaster B VII NX611 "Just Jane" was one of the last wartime aircraft to come out of the Austin Aero factory at Cofton Hackett and stored by the RAF 1945-1952. Served with the Aeronavale as WU-15 from June 1952 until the 1960s, when it was flown back to Britain. At one stage the aircraft was kept at Blackpool, and following the removal of R5868, served as gate guardian at RAF Scampton. NX611 now resides at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at the former RAF East Kirkby. This Lancaster currently does not have a flight safety certificate, but undertakes regular taxi runs at high speed along a length of the wartime runway. A 2008 newspaper report indicated the 12-14 month project to return the aircraft to airworthiness was being investigated and, on 18 February 2010, it was announced that NX611 will be restored to flight. Although no date has been set, the museum has acquired three additional, airworthy Merlin engines and is currently acquiring other spares needed. Nx611 will be returned to flight in 2013 after the aircraft is stripped down and rebuilt to an airwothy condition

There are media reports that the LAHC intends to get this old girl airworthy this year. It has been doing engine run-ups and taxiing for years, maybe the LAHC are trying to get a fund-raising scheme together to do it.

It would probably be very expensive to get certificated again and keep it flying. An interesting idea, but maybe not practical.

If the RAF take it over and team it up with their one the "City of Lincoln", then maybe I will believe this project will happen.

:smile:

There are media reports that the LAHC intends to get this old girl airworthy this year. It has been doing engine run-ups and taxiing for years, maybe the LAHC are trying to get a fund-raising scheme together to do it.

It would probably be very expensive to get certificated again and keep it flying. An interesting idea, but maybe not practical.

If the RAF take it over and team it up with their one the "City of Lincoln", then maybe I will believe this project will happen.

There is really nothing practical about history or historic preservation. There is no tangible price for remembering history. On the other hand, a rare and legendary plane like the Lancaster is priceless in working condition. My opinion, for any famous old plane, is spend anything available to keep them around.

some of the other commonwealth countries should chip in

Just a picture of a Dash 7 cockpit:

Dash_7_Flight_Deck.jpg

Old (2007) but crazy:

[video=youtube;bvbS-oHi9ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbS-oHi9ro[/video]

After intentionally entering a spin, the aircraft adopted a flat attitude, from which the pilot found it difficult to recover. After some 26 turns, he effected a recovery and made an emergency landing on to marshy ground; the aircraft came to rest inverted. Data gathered by a webcam and a laptop computer, fitted to the aircraft by the pilot in order to 'self critique' his aerobatic routines, allowed an analysis of the spin to be made.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications...tipsy_nipper_t_66_series_3_nipper__g_oncs.cfm

Last edited:
Just found this photo from my Collection... Im pretty sure that the Phantom locked on by an AH-64A+ Apache.

duke428

Last edited:
Hey what jets are those from Naval Air Reserve?

- - - Updated - - -

vintIII16_g-1.jpg

A special painted F-104G Starfighter from 336Sq / HAF .... It may be a draw but its just like the real one...

I like Clannad's "Theme from Harry's Game" but when you've got the Vulcan as a soundtrack it's really not necessary.