The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

1056706.jpg

Same image sans watermarks :
burning_the_sky_by_cigognes-d4rd236.jpg

History

BBC News - Rene Mouchotte: Puzzle of Battle of Britain hero solved

BBC said:
28 January 2013 Last updated at 01:49

Ren? Mouchotte was a Spitfire ace who was killed in battle at the age of 29.

In three years of action with the RAF, he completed more than 380 sorties and became the first Frenchman to lead an RAF squadron.

He also shared the credit for shooting down Biggin Hill's 1,000th enemy plane in 1943.

In 2007 former BBC newsreader Jan Leeming sponsored his name on the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel-le-Ferne, near Folkestone.

It was the beginning of a quest to find out more about the death of the pilot which has been shrouded in confusion and mystery.

Jan Leeming uncovers fresh revelations about the pilot's death and follows his remarkable story.

Inside Out South East is on BBC One on Monday, 28 January at 19:30 GMT and nationwide on the iPlayer for seven days thereafter.

Credits: Archive film courtesy and copyright of British Pathe. Photographs are by kind permission of the Mouchotte family.

This is the magazine program that has the full feature, probably 10 to 15 minutes of the show:

BBC iPlayer - Inside Out SE

For those who want to know what happened:
All Free French pilots flying for the British, were under a sentance of death by the Vichy French government.
His family were still in France, so Mouchotte carried false papers of a French-Canadian called Martin and was named as such after he crashed in the Channel and was then buried in Belgium/France.

Last edited:

Just to clarify something, this was done because it made for a funny photo op and no other reason. The Bucc isn't actually refuelling the Tristar.

It takes forever to load this thread these days thanks to those gigantic posts and huge pictures

I agree. As much as lots of pictures are cool, I often read the forums on my phone/tablet, so these posts just kill the poor things, both from a performance and a bandwidth perspective. Also, if you're going to be posting a shitload of pictures, you should really be re-hosting them on something like Imgur and not leeching them from the original host - that's really bad form.

Satellites and uavs :(

While I'm doubtful of the existence of one, I would not be surprised if the military had a secret spy plane after the SR-71. Satellites and UAVs are great, but sometimes you need to catch photos of something immediately and there are no other assets available in time and that's where a high speed plane comes in handy. (That said, nothing precludes this high speed plane from being a UAV itself)

Plus, I just expect the military's level of tech to be slightly higher than what it publicly is.

Last edited:
While I'm doubtful of the existence of one, I would not be surprised if the military had a secret spy plane after the SR-71. Satellites and UAVs are great, but sometimes you need to catch photos of something immediately and there are no other assets available in time and that's where a high speed plane comes in handy. (That said, nothing precludes this high speed plane from being a UAV itself)

Plus, I just expect the military's level of tech to be slightly higher than what it publicly is.

Well that's one of the many theories about what really happens at Groom Lake but nothing has ever been admitted or proven.

Well that's one of the many theories about what really happens at Groom Lake but nothing has ever been admitted or proven.

It's pretty well accepted that Groom Lake has been the testing site of a number of secretive projects like the F-117, and with Google Maps available to everyone, it is an obvious answer. Disregarding the alien theory, there is no other reason for an installation to have such long runways and massive secrecy.

They fly their personnel in by 747?

FBT said:
Great Moments in Travel History ? February 2013
By Jesse Sokolow on 1 February 2013

The Boeing Airplane and Transport Corporation changed its name to United Aircraft and Transportation on February 1, 1929. By the end of the year, it had expanded its operations to include Chance Vought, Hamilton Metalplane Division, Boeing Aircraft of Canada, Stout Airlines, Northrop Aircraft , Stearman Aircraft Co., Sikorsky Aviation, Standard Steel Propeller, and Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.

The FAA issued a rule requiring airlines to screen passengers prior to boarding on February 1, 1972,

Donald W. Douglas, founder of the Douglas Aircraft Company, died on February 1, 1981.

The Civil Aviation Authority authorized the use of ground control approach landing aids on February 4, 1949. The systems used radar to help air traffic controllers direct pilots while landing in low visibility or bad weather conditions.

On February 5, 1982, Laker Airways made its final flight and went bankrupt with debts of ?270 million

On February 8, 1949, the Boeing B-47 jet bomber set a transcontinental speed record, covering 2,289 miles in 3 hours and 46 minutes, at an average speed of 607.8 mph.

On February 9, 1969, the Boeing 747-100 made its first flight. A total of 167 of the aircraft were manufactured.

British aviation pioneer Freddie Laker founded Laker Airways on February 10, 1966, as a charter airline.

McDonnell Douglas produced its 10,000th aircraft, a U.S. Navy F/A-18 Hornet, on February 10, 1993.

On February 12, 1955, a fire broke out at the Barton Hotel in Chicago. The fire gutted the five-story, 336-room hotel and killed 29 people.

On February 14, 1934, Howard R. Hughes launched the Hughes Tool Co. aircraft division, which would later evolve into Hughes Helicopters.

King Edward VII granted the title ?Royal? to the Aero Club of the United Kingdom on February 15, 1910. In existence since 1901, the club remains the coordinating and representational organization for recreational and competitive air sport in the U.K.

The first 777-200LR Worldliner, at the time the world?s longest range commercial airplane, was rolled out in Everett, Washington, on February 15, 2005. The aircraft can carry 301 passengers up to 9,420 nautical miles. It was certified for passenger service on February 2, 2006.

The Douglas DC-1 made a record breaking coast-to-coast flight on February 19, 1934, from Los Angeles to Newark, N.J., in 13 hours and 4 minutes.

The Boeing 757-200, a mid-sized, twin-engine jetliner, made its first flight on February 19, 1982. The aircraft was the original version of the 757. Boeing delivered the 1,000th 757 on February 14, 2002.

The first Boeing 767-300ER was delivered to American Airlines on February 19, 1988. The plane had an increased range over earlier 767s, made possible by larger fuel tankage.

The Douglas DC-5 made its first flight on February 20, 1939. Only 12 of the aircraft were ever built: five as commercial DC-5 transports, and seven as R3D military transports.

The McDonnell Douglas MD-90 commercial transport made its first flight on February 22, 1993.

On February 22, 1925, Geoffrey de Havilland took off from London in a D.H.60 Moth fabricated by the de Havilland Aircraft Company. Constructed of wood with fabric-covered surfaces, the two-seat tour and training plane marked the start of a new age in light aviation.

The aptly-named Cloudster, the first wholly Douglas-designed, Douglas-built aircraft, made its first flight on February 24, 1921. It was the first aircraft to lift a useful load greater than its own weight.

The Douglas DC-9 twinjet airliner, designed for short and frequent flights, made its first flight on February 25, 1965. The aircraft preceded the introduction of the MD-80 series in 1980.

The luxurious Boeing Stratoliners were stripped of their civilian finery and pressed into military service as C-75s on February 26, 1942. The aircrafts? first flights carried antitank ammunition and medical supplies to British forces stationed in Libya.

On February 29, 2008, Boeing delivered the first widebody 777-200LR for a U.S. carrier to Delta Air Lines, as well as the 700th 777, a 777-300ER, to International Lease Finance Corp. and its customer, Cathay Pacific Airways.

Frequent Business Traveller

:smile:

I don't think this was featured here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21310958

f313.14.preview.jpg

congratulations, Iran. You managed to build a poorly made mock-up of an ugly aircraft with nonsensical design features and equipped with instrumentation that looks like a combination of car radios and cheap analog dials as they are found in any GA-Aircraft

I predict it'll probably never fly, let alone supersonic.

That's hilariously tiny and it looks like it was spray painted. I'm trying to work my head around those "wings" but I don't have enough aspirin.

I can't for the life of me remember which cartoon featured an airplane that looked like that; I'm thinking early 90s GI Joe.

What Iran has done is stuck a Dynon PFD into that thing, and then claims its up to standard with western fighter jets? Oh dear..

I have seen pocket-size Jabirus with the same sort of equipment. Does that mean they're basically jet fighters?

That's a pretty clever move from Iran - it takes any credibility out of any Israeli claims of a military threat by Iran.