The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

GetAsset.aspx

Boeing unveils updated F/A-XX concept.

Unfortunately, the way the RAF as a whole handles its PR is "poor" at best; we spend most of our time battling civilian photographers for what is inherently work in our remit.

The RAF do occasionally release high resolution imagery which is all completely free, but that's the decision of the folks in London and not the guys who take them. All we can do is share them once they've already become open-source. It has to be said, the Royal Navy and British Army are leagues ahead of us in terms of the way they handle their media footprint.

Yeah, you guys need to get with the game! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usairforce

Speaking of cool US Air Force pictures...

8589545970_786229ccaa_o.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Oprey in Benefield or is it a different anechoic facility?

Yes, they get filtered through our Media/Comms Officers at MOD from DNI to DI. It's just a case of getting in touch with them and asking, although it's a service intended more for Reuters/Getty than someone who wants a new desktop unfortunately!

In other news, Airbus are in the process of completing their first A350:

airbus_a350_outdoor_testing_la3s5t.jpg

A350_XWB_roll_out_MSN1_1.jpg

A350_XWB_roll_out_MSN1_.jpg

And they are in the process of installing it with the Trent XWB engines:

A350_XWB_Trent_Engine_mounting4.jpg

260313-FL_A350_MSN1_ENGINE_2_FITTING-08.jpg

Last edited:
Stall speed? The Russians have never heard of it.

Okay, the very moderate headwind is helping here but still. Apparently stall speed is like 5 MPH.

The A350 looks cross eyed...

That An-2 reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob steals the Wright Flyer and the jets go flying by- "suggest we get out and walk"

Famed members of the World War II Doolittle Bombing Raid on Tokyo hold final public reunion - Fox News

Wow, I didn't know any of them were still with us. A real piece of living History.
Good for them, I hope they had a great reunion day.
:cool:

The B-25s in the video all look like J models with the clear nose instead of the solid nose.

Most of the latter B-25s, the G, H and J models, were set up with multiple heavy machine guns for strafing missions. Depending on how they were configured a solid nose strafing variant B-25 might have eighteen 50 caliber machine guns total with fourteen of them able to point forward. Some of them could also carry rockets and many of the early models were mounted with a 75 mm cannon. The cannon didn't seem to be very useful though so many of those models just had more 50 cals added in the field.

Good picture of the 75 mm cannon but this B-25 doesn't have the flank mounted gunpods. Some B-25 models had the pods removed as the muzzle flash started damaging the fuselage. More armor plate was added to later models or retrofitted on earlier ones.

B-25H.jpg

The light barrel M2s for use in aircraft had a fire rate in the 700 rounds per minute range. That is about 10,000 rounds per minute hitting the target area during a strafing run for the B-25s with fourteen forward guns.

EDIT

Just to put that in perspective the maximum fire rate on GAU-8 on an A10 is 4,200 rounds per minute. Of course the GAU-8 has a much higher muzzle velocity firing larger 30 mm DU rounds but for pure rate of fire hard to beat a B-25J.

This is a B-25J with the fourteen forward guns. There are eight in the nose, four in pods on either side of the cockpit and then the two in the dorsal turret.

punch.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

So I accidentally typed in Sucker Punch B-25 instead of Sunday Punch to get those photos and apparently in that terrible Sucker Bunch movie there is a B-25 fighting a dragon.

B-25vsDragon.jpg

Now I guess I have to watch that movie even though everyone says it is terrible.

Last edited:
So I accidentally typed in Sucker Punch B-25 instead of Sunday Punch to get those photos and apparently in that terrible Sucker Bunch movie there is a B-25 fighting a dragon.

Now I guess I have to watch that movie even though everyone says it is terrible.

Skip it; it's onscreen for not even 5 minutes and doesn't even do much.