The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Why the fuck does an airliner need eyebrows?

Sorry but since the 50s bar the 747 and Concorde all airliners are pretty much varying sizes of the same fucking clone. I no more get excited boarding one as I would getting on a bus (not that I take public transport of course. :p).

DC3? Super Conny? Comet? Yes. Anything since then meh.
What about McDonnel-Douglas and Lockheed? ;)

This is the same Internet that probably has Camry vs. Accord flame wars.
True, true...

The biggest difference between the 787 and A350 is the fact that the A350 was, in part, designed by Fernando Alonso. Fernando Fucking Alonso.

:p
:lmao:

Why the fuck does an airliner need eyebrows?
:dunno: Maybe ask Boeing about it?

Last edited:
:lol: Reminds me of the best forum meme ever.

I will be taking my 600D, a tripod, a 32GB card and a full battery! Hoping to shoot video of the whole display if I can get the right vantage point. Forecast is gusty winds but sunny.

If you're going to record video, pleaaaasssseee try and bring an external mic with a fuzzy on it to block out the wind noise. I'm dying to hear that thing with some half-way descent audio, not some over-modulated, tiny-ass mic recording...

:lol: Reminds me of the best forum meme ever.

Doooo share

Just out of interest, were you being serious or joking when you wrote that bit?

The amount of glee from certain Boeing fanboys whenever a problem with the A380 surfaced was just as nauseating.

Kind of serious. It was mostly out of annoyance.
I had a long week, so my patience was all but gone.

Yes, Boeing fanboys were pretty horrid about the A380's engine blow-up and wing crack problems. However, Airbus fans were equally bad about the 787's battery fires.

One of the more frequent forms of bashing by the Airbus fanboys that I run into are claims about Boeing aircraft being dangerous and anyone who flies one is an idiot. When I ask them to explain further, the only thing they come up with is the 737's rudder hard-over problem. They try to use this as a claim that ALL Boeings are bad, yet the problem was unique to the little Boeing and was resolved and hasn't been a problem for over 15 years now. Occasionally they will also try to use the statistic that more Boeings have gone down since the company was founded than Airbuses, completely ignoring the fact that Boeing has been around for a lot longer, has built far more aircraft, and that the majority of them went down due to pilot error rather than an actual problem with the aircraft (factor in all of that and both companies are actually pretty even). Confronting them about this fact only leads to them starting their rant again and keep going like a broken record.

As for Boeing fanboys, it's mostly just lame insults like "Airbus sucks", "Airbuses are ugly", or "Airbus makes crap".

Now, I have noticed that there are some politics involved in the Boeing/Airbus brawl. The Boeing fanboys I run into that make comments longer than just three words (see above) tend to be more along the lines of if-it-ain't-American-it's-no-good; the USA-is-the-best sort of mentality. Many seem to believe Airbuses suck simply because they are foreign. Kind of like the battle between GM and Honda. Equally, some of the Boeing bashing stems from this same political idea. After all, there are a lot of people out there who don't like America.

The reason I stabbed Airbus fanboys more than Boeing's in that little rant is because I run into more of them than the Boeing nuts.

Last edited:
If you're going to record video, pleaaaasssseee try and bring an external mic with a fuzzy on it to block out the wind noise. I'm dying to hear that thing with some half-way descent audio, not some over-modulated, tiny-ass mic recording...

Sorry, don't have one and won't have the time to pick one up before I go.

Doooo share

It's in the Post a Pic of Yourself Thread. Starts here.

Last edited:
Boeing fanboys vs Airbus fanboys is one of the most pathetic strifes I can envisage.

The amount of offense people give and take.. FFS. Come onnnnnn... :wall:

Boeing fanboys vs Airbus fanboys is one of the most pathetic strifes I can envisage.

The amount of offense people give and take.. FFS. Come onnnnnn... :wall:

Exactly this, we don't want that kind of nonesense in this Thread.

Sorry but since the 50s bar the 747 and Concorde all airliners are pretty much varying sizes of the same fucking clone. I no more get excited boarding one as I would getting on a bus (not that I take public transport of course. :p).

DC3? Super Conny? Comet? Yes. Anything since then meh.

Boring or not, a modern commercial airliner is pretty much the most complicated, technologically-advanced machine that our species has ever conceived. It isn't the machine that has made the experience bland; rather, it's the miserable conditions that the airlines/airports provide that have dulled the whole aviation experience.

As for the Airbus vs. Boeing argument, it's silly, but it's no more silly than Corvette vs. Porsche, Ford vs. Chevy or Ferrari vs. Lamborghini; in all of these situations, you have people with little to no experience with one (or either) product substituting opinions for facts. In reality, both Boeing and Airbus make fine aircraft. Though anyone who knows anything about aviation will tell you the real answer to "who builds the best airliners?" is clearly Lockheed. They might not have made many in their history, but every one of them are special aircraft looked upon fondly by anyone who worked with them.

Also, hey guys it's been a while. Miss me? :p

Boring or not, a modern commercial airliner is pretty much the most complicated, technologically-advanced machine that our species has ever conceived. It isn't the machine that has made the experience bland; rather, it's the miserable conditions that the airlines/airports provide that have dulled the whole aviation experience.

As for the Airbus vs. Boeing argument, it's silly, but it's no more silly than Corvette vs. Porsche, Ford vs. Chevy or Ferrari vs. Lamborghini; in all of these situations, you have people with little to no experience with one (or either) product substituting opinions for facts. In reality, both Boeing and Airbus make fine aircraft. Though anyone who knows anything about aviation will tell you the real answer to "who builds the best airliners?" is clearly Lockheed. They might not have made many in their history, but every one of them are special aircraft looked upon fondly by anyone who worked with them.

Also, hey guys it's been a while. Miss me? :p

Like a bad rash!

How's it going up there?

Is anyone interested in photos of the Frecce Tricolori, Patrouille Suisse, Patrouille de France and a few others? I'll need a time to sort through the 1500+ that I've shot today, but probably not too much.

Got some shots of the Vulcan today. Plan to sort them out and post them ASAP.

Kind of serious. It was mostly out of annoyance.
I had a long week, so my patience was all but gone.
Alright, seems like we're on the same page... maybe different paragraphs, but BFD.

One of the more frequent forms of bashing by the Airbus fanboys that I run into are claims about Boeing aircraft being dangerous and anyone who flies one is an idiot.
After AF447 had crashed, I read a lot of the same about Airbus and their sidestick controls in particular. Another, older example is AA587 after which some people claimed that all Airbus aircraft were "flimsy deathtraps" and so on.

The reason I stabbed Airbus fanboys more than Boeing's in that little rant is because I run into more of them than the Boeing nuts.
Now that would be a reason! :p
:yes: It's sad that worthwhile information does get buried under all the manure - makes hunting for those nuggets quite painful.

I'm a big fan of the SH-60 series and I just love this picture.

LCS1_H60.jpg

This is the first fleet MH-60R to operate with a Right Hand Extended Pylon (RHEP) and a full compliment of eight AGM-114 Hellfire Captive Air Training Missiles

Like a bad rash!

How's it going up there?

Been busy lately (and will be for some time) - new job (more on that in the coming weeks) plus a whole bunch of stuff going on elsewhere in my life - moved house, broke things off with my (now ex) girlfriend...that sort of stuff.

Is anyone interested in photos of the Frecce Tricolori, Patrouille Suisse, Patrouille de France and a few others? I'll need a time to sort through the 1500+ that I've shot today, but probably not too much.

Yes. Post them, or if there are lots, link us to a gallery.