The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

To the non-nerds viewing, from the roundels it is a Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF) F-16, carrying what look like Netherlands Royal colours.

but with the flemish lion painted on :?

They call her the Orange Lion. ;)

A clean F-16 is a very pretty plane.

Festooned wth pods and conformal fuel tanks however... yuck.

Can you tell from the background what I did this weekend :D

1002127_10201153822463532_710626237_n.jpg

Bought an airplane? Congrats!

:p

RIAT picdump time!

The French team was very entertaining!

No camera trickery here, that's really the angle the plane was pulling. Very impressive!

The Swiss team in action.

In Soviet Russia, plane pollute you!

The Italians put on a hell of a show!

And finally...calvinhobbes enjoying his new 6-hour old folding chair. :lol:

And better than most of mine, you bastard! :shakefist:

Stuck some on Flickr for those who might want to take a look.

Last edited:
:eek:
And better than most of mine, you bastard! :shakefist:

Stuck some on Flickr for those who might want to take a look.

No, no - they are good photos too.

Cars, Wimminz and planes!

A PBY? You're kiddin me, you had a Catalina there as well? :eek:

I took a picture of the lady in the uniform who was part of the Super Conny tour just because I thought it was pretty cool that they had done that. Had I wished to perv there were plenty of other opportunity I assure you.

I had a cool landing at SFO today:

[video=youtube;6tQsCTj-NGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQsCTj-NGc[/video]

That's pretty awesome. I've seen another video of such a landing at SFO on reddit a while back.

Is there a reason they let two planes land simultaneously like that? As far as my understanding goes, commercial planes don't usually do formation flying, and that is pretty damn close they are flying to each other. Wouldn't it be safer to maintain separation and have them land in a kind of "zipper" pattern?

They're pretty common there. As far as I know, they sequence them so they're not exactly parallel, because of federal separation requirements, but they can't always stay that way because of different approach speeds. Very interesting that the Q400 had almost an identical Vref as you guys did in the A320.

Sweet Vid!

Now, that said, I do parallel approaches almost every day, but our runways here are over 2,000 feet apart, so unless a student wants to overshoot final a bit, we don't come too close. Its neat (and sad), though when I'm overtaken by a jet on final - I need to carry my camera/GoPro with me more...

Last edited:
As very cool as that was.. Surely that's illegal? :blink:

Also.. No flare!?

As very cool as that was.. Surely that's illegal? :blink:

The flying was illegal or me having my phone on recording? If you're talking about the latter, then pfft. It was in Airplane Mode. I rarely go to the trouble of fully turning off my phone, despite the requests of the flight attendants.

* snip SFO arrival video *

Sweet Vid!

Yes, very good video.

They're pretty common there.

And here at Heathrow too, from 06:00 until 07:00 due to the large number of international and local European arrivals.

Also from SFO this week:

Incident: EVA B773 at San Francisco on Jul 23rd 2013, descended below safe height

Aviation Herald said:
By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Jul 25th 2013 18:05Z, last updated Thursday, Jul 25th 2013 18:05Z

An EVA Airways Boeing 777-300, registration B-16701 performing flight BR-28 from Taipei (Taiwan) to San Francisco,CA (USA), was on final approach to San Francisco's 28L being cleared to land when the aircraft descended to about 600 feet about 3.8nm before the runway threshold (about 600 feet below glidepath, remaining glidepath angle 1.5 degrees instead of 3 degrees), tower warned the aircraft "climb immediately, altitude alert, altimeter 29.97", the crew initiated a go-around and positioned for another approach, that concluded in a safe landing about 13 minutes later.

Flightaware - EVA B773 at San Francisco on Jul 23rd 2013

Hmmm .. :think:

The flying was illegal or me having my phone on recording? If you're talking about the latter, then pfft. It was in Airplane Mode. I rarely go to the trouble of fully turning off my phone, despite the requests of the flight attendants.

Noooo.. the flying you numpty :p

I pretty much record every take-off/landing I do.

[video=youtube;6tQsCTj-NGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQsCTj-NGc[/video]

Yes, thats a really cool landing... recently there've definitively been less cool landings there :(

That's pretty awesome. I've seen another video of such a landing at SFO on reddit a while back.

Is there a reason they let two planes land simultaneously like that? As far as my understanding goes, commercial planes don't usually do formation flying, and that is pretty damn close they are flying to each other. Wouldn't it be safer to maintain separation and have them land in a kind of "zipper" pattern?

I've read about landing procedures in Frankfurt a couple of months ago, but the specific case the report was about might also match here... The possibility of parallel landings depends on the distance of both runways. For the approaches to be completely independent from each other there must be a specific distance between the runways. In Frankfurt that wasn't the case, so they added another threshold to one of the parallel runways a couple of hundred meters shifted. When I look at a satmap of SFO, both thresholds are shifted.

Anyway, at Frankfurt, in the end it was too complicated, because the bigger plane types had to use the old, not shifted threshold or the other runway, and in every case there were different procedures to maintain separation between the planes... so they build a new runway that is far enough for completely independent approaches.