The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I read somewhere online that they're sending down a "black box locator". What exactly is that/how does it work? Do the black boxes emit a signal this is tuned to pick up? How long will the black box be active on the sea floor, assuming thats where it is.

Like this, see URL of manufacturer:

Flight recorders do have underwater locator beacons, broadcasting for about a month after contact with water. They say those work up to about 6km of depth, but they don't claim hundreds of miles of range. They will sell you a detector kit for homing in from one mile away.

In other news, an A380 en route from PVG to CDG had to make an unscheduled fuel stop in HAM - they say some Russian airspace was blocked, causing a detour and more fuel use. http://www.ndr.de/regional/hamburg/airbus1063.html

Last edited:
In other news, an A380 en route from PVG to CDG had to make an unscheduled fuel stop in HAM - they say some Russian airspace was blocked, causing a detour and more fuel use. http://www.ndr.de/regional/hamburg/airbus1063.html
Good grief, that is some horrible waste of time. While, of course, the "story" doesn't deserve to be reported, someone at the usually reputable NDR actually managed to put a "moment of terror" spin on "Ladies and Gentlemen, we're going to stop for more fuel before we start eating into our reserves." :rolleyes:

I saw that the other day. I'm currently watching F-16s fly over my apartment. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to be a Gulfstream pilot, but....

Damn I wish I woulda become a fighter pilot

The cloud surfing was pretty cool! :cool:

I saw that the other day. I'm currently watching F-16s fly over my apartment. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to be a Gulfstream pilot, but....

Damn I wish I woulda become a fighter pilot

There must be an ANG unit around somewhere, that could use a G550 driver. :p

That is soo awesome! :eek:

Mayday: The Passenger Who Landed a Plane Channell 4 TV
(Link to Channel4 "On Demand" service, probably IP locked, so will need a get around.)

A Cessna at Hull Airport (EGNJ) in England.

An interesting documentary and not too overdone, worth a watch.

Channel 4 TV said:
On an early evening in October 2013, 77-year-old great-grandfather John Wildey was being flown home by his pilot friend after a day out in north Lincolnshire.

The pilot suddenly started to feel unwell. Ten minutes later he had collapsed at the controls, 1500 feet up in the air. John had no flying experience, and it was starting to get dark.

This documentary tells the story of how, against all the odds, he managed to land the plane in pitch darkness, with help from a small team who were scrambled to provide instructions from the ground and air.

John's ordeal lasted for over an hour, and was made far harder because he couldn't find the switch for the lights inside the cockpit.

He made four attempts to land: his first was on a short, unlit runway that was so dark, he had to abort at the last second. Soon after, he went into an uncontrolled spin, from which he somehow recovered.

His next two attempts, after being diverted onto a lit runway, both ended in nail-biting climaxes, and failures, before he finally managed to land.

Channel 4 has exclusive access to the recordings of the dramatic 'talk down' tapes, from Humberside Airport Air Traffic Control and an RAF rescue helicopter, and footage from the on-board night-vision camera.

Those responsible for talking John through his ordeal describe what happened. John Cameron, who took the initial mayday call, put John's chances of survival at less than 30%.

Flt Lt Rebecca Bethell, the captain of the RAF rescue helicopter says: 'flying in the dark would be horrendous for us, and we're trained in all sorts of emergencies. We just wouldn't do that.'

EDIT:
Bonus YT.

Rescuing a DC-3 from Antarctica. :cool:

Last edited:
I see a Marand sign in the background, and Marand supplies parts for the F35.

Don't be fooled, it's a Decepticon.

20 bucks says they are working with the Russians and Putin is one of em in a pretender shell.

Last edited:
Crosswind landings and take-offs at BHX:

Quite a few pantssoiling moments there...

Last edited:
At the time when they built that airport, was it before people conducted wind studies? lol

BHX, Birmingham? England? Got it. Gotta write that down so I can never fly there ever.

BHX, Birmingham? England? Got it. Gotta write that down so I can never fly there ever.

LAX is the same whenever it gets a healthy dose of Santa Ana winds...