The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

SXRWvFN.jpg

Dutch F16

If you have to ask....

Let's be real... who doesn't like a little Beaver slipped into a photo once in a while? :p

IMG_0965 by Jeff Fink, on Flickr

Is it a skin by any chance?

Is it a skin by any chance?

Its paint... there are a lot of pictures of it on the interwebz. I'm sure someone has posted a story behind it somewhere

I wonder what the flight profile for this looked like:

The lose and gain gravity a few times so I don't think it's as simple as it looks!

Looks very much like I would imagine the Vomit Comet would do.

Looks very much like I would imagine the Vomit Comet would do.

Right but that video is over 3 minutes long! The article you linked shows weightlessness times of about 25 seconds is the norm. :)

It turns out though that they just cheated and used editing: http://okgo.net/2016/02/11/upside-down-inside-out-faq/

The longest period of weightlessness that it is possible to achieve in these circumstances is about 27 seconds, and after each period of weightlessness, it takes about five minutes for the plane to recover and prepare for then next round. Because we wanted the video to be a single, uninterrupted routine, we shot continuously over the course of 8 consecutive weightless periods, which took about 45 minutes, total. We paused our actions, and the music, during the non-weightless periods, and then cut out these sections and smoothed over each transition with a morph.

Eric 'Winkle' Brown: Celebrated British pilot dies, aged 97
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

Eric 'Winkle' Brown dead: Famed British pilot dies aged 97
www.independent.co.uk/news/people/e...amed-british-pilot-dies-aged-97-a6888106.html

Eric 'Winkle' Brown: The man who seemed not to notice danger
www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30039300

Captain 'Winkle' Brown: Is he the greatest pilot ever?
www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-22254048

Last edited:
What a legend.

What a legend.

• Captain 'Winkle' Brown has flown 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever to be matched
  • He flew 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
  • He was appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
  • He has survived 11 crashes

He also interviewed top-ranking Nazis Hermann Goering and Heinrich Himmler, who set up and controlled the Nazi concentration camps.
etc...

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to say I didn't know about him until I heard of is passing on the BBC yesterday.

I liked the comment about him making 007 looking like a bit of a slacker.

etc...

Captain 'Winkle' Brown has flown 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever to be matched
He flew 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
He was appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
He has survived 11 crashes

He also interviewed top-ranking Nazis Hermann Goering and Heinrich Himmler, who set up and controlled the Nazi concentration camps.

.. etc, etc, ... In 1945, after the war ended, he was also one of the few allied pilots asked to test fly captured advanced Nazi airplanes.

I didn't hear of him much before a few years ago, when he appeared on another documentary about WW2.

Story of Captain "Winkle" Brown, RN- BBC

An interesting documentary on his life, well worth a look.

(Hope it is not IP locked.)

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know about him until I heard of is passing on the BBC yesterday.
Same here. Really would have thought that knowing who Andr? Turcat was (died on 4 January), I'd know about - arguably, I'm sure - the greatest pilot in the history of aviation.

Anyway, he would certainly have enjoyed a good chuckle, so here goes one:

The Madness of Airline ?lite Status

Another acquaintance, in danger of losing her status, appealed to United for mercy, writing to the airline that she deserved a break because she had had a baby mid-year. United granted her an exception. Three years later, she asked again, for the same reason. But perhaps to protect America from being overrun by MileagePlus anchor babies, the company replied that it gives only one exception every five years.

That video shows little fins on the engine pod. What purpose do they serve?