The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

That video shows little fins on the engine pod. What purpose do they serve?

Those are speed fins. They make the plane go faster.

Real answer: they guide air over the wing at high angles of attack. At 18:18 in the video you can see it happening with a vortex forming under the near fin then flowing over the upper wing surface.

Reactions: MWF
TIL the actual reason cabin lights are dimmed for landing and it wasn't what I would have suggested if asked.

I will in time but I thought I would wait to see if anyone else would chime in with the answer. ;)

I always thought it was in order to ensure better visibility for rescue crews on the outside of the plane in the event of an emergency?

On a sidenote, leg 2 of the return flight from Australia (Hong Kong-Heathrow) was on BA's newest A380. Plane delivered to the airline literally 2 weeks prior. That was pretty cool.

Close but no cigar.

Adjusting passengers' eyes to low light in the event of an evacuation? Most likely so that the lights guiding pax to the exit row are more clearly visible instantly?

:mouse:

The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

No, they're fine when they're doing buddy refueling and not desperately trying to keep up with a KC-130.

CH-53E top ("DO NOT EXCEED")speed is 196mph, cruise is 173mph. KC-130H cruise speed is 374mph with stall speed somewhere around 115-120mph. IIRC, ideal mid air refueling speed for the craft is somewhere around 230-310mph. You can see the problem.

Similar problems, only in reverse, occurred in Vietnam with Marine aviation, where the contemporary KC-130 variant's top speed was perilously close to the then-front-line F-4B's *stall* speed. Yes, they had F-4s stalling while trying to refuel. :p

Last edited:
Now that's a quiet take off... :blink:
Try an A380 if you get the chance. You'll be impressed, that thing is less noisy during takeoff than a Cripple Seven (Boeing 777) in cruise.

- - - Updated - - -

TIL the actual reason cabin lights are dimmed for landing and it wasn't what I would have suggested if asked.
The aviation geek in me wants to know what you thought it was. :lol:

Reduce the load on the engines as much as possible to ensure spare power if required, same reason the LCD screens and A/C get turned off at the same time. Flawed maybe, but logical nonetheless.

Anyone want to be a pilot? Nows your chance

If you aspire to soar above the world, literally, JetBlue wants to make your dreams come true.

The airline this week began receiving applications for a new pilot training program that doesn't require any previous experience. Graduates of the four-year Gateway Select program will be guaranteed a job with Jet Blue upon completion.

The training program is designed to recruit a "broader range of candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences," the airline said in a statement.

"Many dream of becoming a pilot but are deterred by financial realities," said Warren Christie, JetBlue's senior vice president of safety, security and training. "We have an opportunity to create the best pilot training program in the U.S. while also removing some of the economic and social barriers so that those with the natural aptitude can pursue their dream."

What you need to know:

Applicants must undergo a series of assessment tests that cover a range of skills, including critical thinking, spatial orientation, and hand-eye coordination before moving on to onsite testing and an in-person interview at JetBlue.
Only 24 spots will be offered spots in the Gateway Select program, which is scheduled to start in late summer.
The program includes about a month of training at JetBlue University in Orlando, where candidates will learn aviation fundamentals. They also will spend 30 weeks of training at the Phoenix flight academy of JetBlue's partner, CAE.
All candidates also must fulfill the Federal Aviation Administration's 1,500 flight-hour requirement before graduating.
The program costs $125,000, in addition to a $200 application fee. Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and be at least 23 years old by the time they would finish their four years of training.

http://www.today.com/money/want-be-pilot-jetblue-launches-new-program-no-experience-required-t78561

Seems like a really good program to me. $125k tuition for a guaranteed job with the airline. Thats better than half these students taking out $200k loans to get god knows what degrees with no job prospects. And I checked glassdoor, don't know how accurate the reporting is, but it said that the average JetBlue pilot earns around $149k/yr (with the range going from $68k to $320k - presumably depending on seniority and length of routes flown).

I wonder if crop dusters have the funnest job on earth, or the most boring, which causes them to try and make it the most fun.

Try an A380 if you get the chance. You'll be impressed, that thing is less noisy during takeoff than a Cripple Seven (Boeing 777) in cruise.

Can attest to that, even on takeoff it seemed to me like the ventilation/pressurization system was making more noise than the engines on the A380 (upstairs, mind you). 777 is a loud bastard.

You can tell there's a lot more soundproofing on the 380 by the space between the inner and middle pane on the windows.

You mean the one in the fourth from last photo? Somehow the rear end screams Buick to me, but I can't put my finger on it what model it is...