The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

And thats why pilots set full thrust once they touch down on an AC deck

Jet pilots do, because jet engines don't provide instant throttle response. With the C-2/E-2 constant RPM turboprops, thrust can be increased instantly if needed, so they don't do the "full thrust landing" thing.

According to reddit comments, crew reaction on this one was absolutely by the book - even before the aircraft rolled off the deck, throttle was already at max, gear up and full flap settings selected, and cockpit escape hatches opened and locked. Situations like this are what training is for, correct reactions are baked in at instinct level in those pilots.

Last edited:
That's what I call a short landing... :D

That was extremely short for a non VTOL aircraft. Wonder what the wind speed was.

I have seen video of bush pilots taking part in a competition where part of it is to land on the side of a mountain, stop, then take back off where I doubt the wheels are on the ground for the length of the aircraft.

Back in the mid-90s I was up at Oshkosh and it was pretty windy on the day I was up there. One of the biplanes was able to fly into the wind with a negative ground speed. Seeing it was a surreal experience.

That's what I call a short landing... :D

Look Mom! I'm a helicopter!

Bush pilots are awesome, insane, maybee not even the good kind of insane, but awesome.

Last edited:

The short landing video above was removed, but is this the same one? If not, more short landings:

https://imgur.com/gQghRNd

I think it is. Look how it bounces back upon landing, you could say this plane's landing distance is -1 foot

I found that video to be a big vague as to the effects of low oxygen. He didn't really lose that much mental capacity and was still able to function almost normally. This is a far more dramatic illustration of the effects of hypoxia:

I found that video to be a big vague as to the effects of low oxygen. He didn't really lose that much mental capacity and was still able to function almost normally. This is a far more dramatic illustration of the effects of hypoxia:

That video never gets old. So crazy, and amazing how quick they respond after they descend.

I found that video to be a big vague as to the effects of low oxygen. He didn't really lose that much mental capacity and was still able to function almost normally.

Really? He was told he'd die if he didn't connect his oxygen (and that was true), and was unable to reattach his mask and flip a single switch. It might not have looked terribly dramatic, but he quite literally couldn't perform a simple task to save his life due to hypoxia.

Glad to see they did the sensible thing and did not just kill them. The bees are really quite calm when they swarm like that. Very little danger of getting stung when the best strategy for them is to just fly away.