The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Just lick it clean.
We used to call that sort of thing “getting your gutter vitamins”. But I think it referred mostly to eating dirt on (well, off) the playground. :unsure:

Oof!

Watch this. This is amazing.

747 is toast.

You think these could be used for temp housing or something?

Flying Freight In The Corona Crisis

I’ve never really considered myself to be an essential person. Of course, in the larger sense of community, we’re all essential. But outside of my immediate family and my pets, no one has ever considered me essential. That was until a few weeks ago when the U.S. government did. I have been working for a large overnight package/freight carrier for the past 30 years and at that moment, I received a field promotion from Freight Dog to Essential Personnel in the war on the COVID-19 virus.
The article gives me the impression that he works for UPS and his base for this rotation was Cologne, in case you’re wondering.

I came across it because I had been wondering about the North Atlantic Tracks in these strange times of extremely limited transatlantic air traffic. Here’s a part of what the author says:

On the night of our crossing, there was only one track in each direction, a direct reflection of the lack of traffic crossing the ocean with all of the airline groundings and travel restrictions in place. As I write this on March 31, I see only one track altogether. This is a very sad state but probably what we need to fight the pandemic.
A sad state indeed.

The article gives me the impression that he works for UPS and his base for this rotation was Cologne, in case you’re wondering.

I came across it because I had been wondering about the North Atlantic Tracks in these strange times of extremely limited transatlantic air traffic. Here’s a part of what the author says:

A sad state indeed.

Absolutely, I really hope this doesn't ruin some of the wonderful travel abilities I've been using for so many years. Where I live, the Chicago area is a great hub for all things freight due to its unique position in the country and of course rail travel travel paving that way in the late 1800s. I fear that pretty much being able to fly direct almost everywhere with a major city near it in the world will go away. Traveling for work sucks, but not having to change planes makes that part of travel much nicer. I don't think it will domestically, but internationally I fear it could, or at least lessen the options for some time. Every 2 hours or so almost every day, I could pick a flight from ORD-FRA or MUC, I'm not sure that will be the same after this. Who knows, maybe there'll be a boom in travel after all this like how we had with post war and products being made like they were in such volumes and options.

An Antonov AN-124 had an uncontained engine failure at 1000' AGL after takeoff, inducing a bunch of secondary issues:

Lost all electric systems.
Lost instruments.
Lost brakes.
Lost thrust reversers.
Lost spoilers.

:eek:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4df212c7&opt=0

An Antonov AN-124 had an uncontained engine failure at 1000' AGL after takeoff, inducing a bunch of secondary issues:

Lost all electric systems.
Lost instruments.
Lost brakes.
Lost thrust reversers.
Lost spoilers.
So they had a little bit of hydraulics and the control surfaces, but an out of control #1?

This is amazingly reminiscent of Qantas Flight 32: a catastrophic failure of engine #2 on a well-designed aircraft (that remained controllable despite the damage) and an experienced crew that made the best possible use of the bits of aircraft they had left.

I’m staggered... and I hope there’s a book in this one as well.

Last edited:
Yep, very reminiscent of QF32.

I just so happened to watch a documentary about that incident a few weeks ago.

So the 737 Max is about to fly again -

737 MAX: Boeing 'inappropriately coached' test pilots, say senators​

Planemaker and US regulator may have tried to cover up important information relating to deadly crashes – official report

Anyone remember the crazy "stealth plane" models from that time we knew the F-117 existed but had no idea what it looked like? I actually had this kit as a kid.

1608703944137.png

Anyone remember the crazy "stealth plane" models from that time we knew the F-117 existed but had no idea what it looked like?
Have you read Clancy's "Red Storm Rising"? That immediately comes to mind. I think the model only exists because of the book...