The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

/me looks at my avatar.

It's also time to change it to this season's one.

Flight to Germany back in August.
IMG_20210823_004923.jpg

Source of my avatar, taken from the upper deck of an Air France A380, almost 10 years ago.

DSC_3857.jpg

You should visit Chicago. :D

Depending on wind patterns, you’ll come in over the lake and see the city and land with multiple planes on either side at once.

Nice to see London has something going for it. :LOL:

Depending on wind patterns, you’ll come in over the lake and see the city and land with multiple planes on either side at once.
Can confirm it looks great in Flight Sim at least. :p

You should visit Chicago. :D

Across the pond, I usually sit on the right westbound and on the left eastbound, because Sun. And Greenland. That means I get a view of the coastline north of downtown Chicago when landing at ORD from the East. I should try the other side next time. :unsure:

Although, I’d advise not today, it’s a bit cloudy.

AAB51A65-279C-4842-A6CA-B4A831551C38.jpeg

When I flew to KSEA a month ago a 777 flew right above us with only 1000' separation.

Screenshot_20211111-174651.jpg

Screenshot_20211111-174713.jpg

I managed to take a picture of it, but the closeness is lost in picture.

IMG_20211111_174634.jpg

Reactions: lip
Anyone notice the F-20 make a cameo in the latest GT?

"A stealth bomber in flight caught on Google maps - 39 01 18.5N. 93 35 40.5W"

1640305943199.png

The best Reddit comments:
"So much for 'stealth'"

"What do you mean? I don't see anything."

"More like photo bomber"

"This is just a bit north of the Whiteman Air Force Base, which is home base for the stealth bomber fleet

When they flew missions during the wars, they'd take off from Whiteman, fly to the middle east, drop the bombs and keep on going around the world back home to Whiteman" (source for that: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-04-adfg-back4-story.html )

"Bro just doxxed a jet"

I've just come across this example of political skullduggery interfering with civil aviation:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-23 um 23.03.51.png

This is a normal flight route from Delhi to New York as flown by United Airlines. Block time: 14:43

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-23 um 23.02.45.png

And this is what happens when the Russians decide to mess with an airline: flight plan filed from Delhi to Bangor, ME and amended to JFK after the American Airlines crew calculated they had enough fuel and duty time left to make it without a stopover. Block time: 16:25

If you want to do a little bit of reading:

Flight bans are starting:

Russia's national airline Aeroflot will also be banned from landing in the UK.

the retaliation:

and an illustration of the consequences:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-25 um 14.13.50.png

normal flight path of yesterday's British Airways flight 10 from Bangkok to London

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-25 um 14.14.03.png

altered flight path of the same flight today

I expect a revival of the Cold War-era routes that avoided the Soviet Union. Large detours, more polar routes and intermediate stops in places like Anchorage are likely. Unless, of course, Putin decides to escalate this to a level where travel is a fond memory of those who survived WW3.

Last edited: