The AW11 MR2: Finalgear's most common car?

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
Maybe it's selective sight, but is the AW11 MR2 the most common single model of car among the members of Finalgear? I can recall a bunch of people with Civics of different years, but at least six people (Ottobon, fbc, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head) own them here. Is there any other car that shows up more frequently among FG users? Mods move as needed; it felt more appropriate here than in the General Automotive section, IMHO.

i also think vw golfs are pretty common here

but at least six people (Ottobon, fbc, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head) own them here.

Monkeymax is another.

You'll probably find things like Pug 205s, Astras, Golfs etc are far more common, but they don't get mentioned as often.

Edit: A search reveals 7 members with AW11s (81roc, dj.TAKA, fbc, LoneWolf, mhib, monkeymax, redhornet) - that's people with their cars identified. That versus 70 members with Golfs (of different generations admittedly).

Last edited:
People should post their cars more so we could analyze and stuff... It could give us some interesting information.
Ratio of european vs japanese vs american....etc.

One would think that having the most common car wouldn't actually be a good thing...

Either way, jakifirbec - see my sig for what I have. Please note that I'm an American that's driving British and Japanese. :)

Yeah but if there was an option to list the members by car, in the members list, you could get information quickly. But everybody should fill in the infos under the avatar.
Meh nevermind, too much to ask and not important enough to pursue it.

Oh and Spectre, i was admiring your jags in the other thread - very nice, especially the XJ6.

One would think that having the most common car wouldn't actually be a good thing...

Either way, jakifirbec - see my sig for what I have. Please note that I'm an American that's driving British and Japanese. :)

maybe not, but it isn't a common car in the first place, so the fact that such a disproportionate number of people seem to drive them on here is worth noting. Nothing against any golf drivers, but you do see ALOT of those, whereas with the MR2 their are only about 1/2 of they original models still on the road, so its a little bit harder to come across.

i think one thing about the early MR2 community is that we don't really know how we fit into this whole automotive jumble, we just know we really like our cars (or atleast the ones that aren't all rusted.) Golf people are usually somewhat stylish, but partially metro young adults who are confident in their cars nomatter what. You also have the british car people who may not own the best cars in the world, but by all means believe they do, and have the type of dedication towards their cars that one could only hope for in a Marriage. But as far as i can tell early MR2 owners are usually either nerds or ninjas, and occasionally hillbillys

Last edited:
:wave: Hello! Cool - just noticed this!

But as far as i can tell early MR2 owners are usually either nerds or ninjas, and occasionally hillbillys

Oi - I resent that! Oh... wait... think I fit in the nerd category... :roll:
But I do know people in the club who are none of the above.

Oh and I may be buying another soon too... ;)

I don't think it's that it's a common car. It's that it's an unusual car now, which is more common than other unusual cars. You don't really notice the Golfs etc, as you see them every day. The MR2 is one of those cars you may not see everyday and in that respect there are a few of them around compared to other cars you won't see every day which may be more rare.

I think common definitely isn't the word. Particularly when the shows I've been to this year, the Mk1 MR2 has been outnumbered by single models of Lamobs and Ferraris...

Also, the owners tend to be enthusiasts and love their cars. Hence we tend to shout about them when we can. At least I do... ;)

(heck, it's got pop-up headlights... why not?!? :) )

A Texan no less! :shock2:

Hey now I am a Texan, not living there right now but I was born there, and I want a Jaguar.

I have to get my wife a newish car first though and she wants a convertible so now I just have to convince her that the XKR convertible is the perfect car for her.

Looks like we have a lot of fans of the Toyota Fiero. :p

year but unlike true feiro owners we haven't died in electrical fires 8)

and anyways, were all copying the Fiat X1/9, which found its routes in the Porsche 914/6, which was probably inspired by the Lotus europa etc etc etc

the car does have alot of qualities you don't see in cars today, particularly the road-feel and feedback, its also worth mentioning that it shares most of its components with the mysteriously popular Corolla GT-S Coupe Panda Trueno/Levin lift-back Takumi-mobile (ae86 for easy reference)

for what its worth, heres the fastest first gen MR2 i know of, and quiet possibly the fastest home-built mr2 ever, my buddy Steve Hoelschers D prepared autocrosser, 160whp, 1750lbs (with ballast) and capable of holding (not just peaking) 1.5 lateral g all day on street legal rubber, its been winning at nationals like crazy, but a good part of that is down to Steves great driving, and not just his chassi and engine tuning ability, he did spend about 20 years driving and tuning Fiat X1/9s before hand

HSVTour11b.jpg

okay so it could be cleaner, but it was a wreck when he started, so shut up! :lol:

fun facts for the technically minded: Steves car uses no swaybars, as well he goes against general convention and runs stiffer springs rates on the front then in the back dispite the rearward weight distribution

heres a good looking first generation MR2!
14ugvns.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.**/img57/254/frontdrivesideoe6.jpg
Toms7Resize.jpg

P1010096.jpg

black leather interior wasn't bad either for a 80s car out of japan, actually won awards for best ergonomics as well
123055.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, 13 people here have MR2s..

81roc
BodyDamage
dj.TAKA
fbc
Flamby
GT-Sean
jaxx
Labcoatguy
Lonewolf
mhib
monkeymax
redhornet
Saint

"SkY" Vw Golf Mk4
115spider golf iii diesel cabrio, merc 250TD, alfa 115 spide
:A: VW Golf III
andypears prototype golf
apack Mk2 VW Golf GT
barryluo Golf sportline 2.0
Bella Maquina Golf GTI 16V
blackvr6ix Golf Vr6
blox VW Corrado G60 / VW Golf 1
brEan VW Golf IV TDI
Buba Golf
burgzie123 1999 VW Golf 2.0i
c00tj3 Volkswagen Golf III Cabriolet 1.8
canadiangti Focus, Golf & Scirocco
Clive Simmonds VW Golf
CorruptCop VW Golf
CyberJQN VW Golf GTI
danno2908 Golf GTI
derstoess Golf III VR6
Diligence VW Golf 2003
djgaz89 Volkswagen Golf V TDI Sport
frankens Vw Golf II
Gearbox Golf MK II G60
Grenners VW Golf
haz VW 1300, VW Golf II (90 wild ponies)
Henk From Hell VW Golf 3 Joker edition
henrymug golf v gti magic black
hifiguru Golf 5
Horus Just a 2004 Golf!
hutch84 VW Golf GT
iConrad VW Golf
Ihsiin VW Golf Mk IV
iongerm Golf Mk 3
Jam-ez '99 Golf GTI, '67 Mustang
james VW GOLF MK1
Jethro41 VW Golf V GTI
jona Golf V TDI
kfoerg VW Golf V
land_rover2k Golf GT TDI... my baby
Lewek VW Golf
Lowski Golf Mk1, Ford Granada Stock-Car w. BMW 2.8 Engine
Marcp Mk2 Golf GTI
mautzel Golf IV TDI
mkay Golf 1.6 1998
mrexcuse VW Golf TDI
mrshoaib VW Golf
MyKeY VW Golf 4
NETHED Golf TDI
notsteven 2006 Golf GTI.
pjn123 Citi Golf
PuntoGT! VW Golf Mk2
P|--||L VW Golf IV
roadrage81 VW Golf2 16V
RobertvdW 2007 Silver Golf 5 GTi DSG
RomeDawg Golf MKV
sandor_ 911, 328i, Golf, '71 Vespa Sprint
Sascha77 VW Golf V GTI
Sc0rian Golf mk2 ABF
Scout Golf GTI Mk5
seewoosagur Golf Mk IV
shd Mk2 Golf
SkullFox Golf, Izusu KB280Lx, Izusu KB250Le
Smedley Golf MKV Gti
StuttGartDTM Mach 5 Golf 2.0l FSI
Tensixty6 2006 VW Golf GTI
torsocorso vw golf
unknownspeedster 2003 VW Golf 2.0 Sports
vanMould VW Golf -90
vardra VW Golf
velorex audi a4 1.8tq avant (US), Golf MKII and a Velorex
villageinn golf GTi V
watto VW Golf MkIII CL
WRR VW GOLF
XYZviper VW Golf mk1
Zensur Golf GT TSI
zojpz VW Golf mk3
zoran Golf5 FSI, Saxo 1.1
[DSR] AlPayson 95 VW Golf, 97 Chevy S-10 p/u

Anyone besides me with a Prelude?

What I find funny is the people that own multiple cars own such a variety. Take me and Spectre for instance (oddly enough live in/near Dallas Texas). He has Jags and Jeeps (and soon to be Nissan) and I have a Camaro and Prelude--sworn enemies. Rice vs Redneck. Such a combination don't you think?

Oh, and I'm German so that makes it even better. ;)

Thoughts?

Hm...thats quite interesting/weird...I join this forum out of a love and need for top gear :)mrgreen:) and it turns out that most people also have one of my most favorite/possible future car as well

I noticed one for sale at a mechanic's garage and took it for a test drive. It was an automatic :yucky::puke: but my lord did it zip. I vowed one day I must own one, it was just so much fun

Damn thats a lot of golf owners :jawdrop:

What about those on Subaru WRX STi's ?

I remember a thread where shitloads of pics were posted....

Preludes (11):
Audio Honda Prelude VTi
canusatrini Prelude 2000
JCE3000GT 1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS V8 / 1997 Honda Prelude
LowFlyin' 1991 Honda CRX SiR 1991 Honda Prelude Si
ludesrock 94 Prelude SRV :D
MarsR0ver 1994 USDM Honda Prelude Vtec
Mikk195 Honda Prelude -94
nice Honda Prelude 1999
psych0samir Honda Prelude
TaylerP123 1998 Honda Prelude
VtecPrelude'94 1994 USDM Honda Prelude Vtec

WRX (32):
AdiNX Subaru Impreza WRX STi paper model :D
Alex_WRX 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
bns06 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
boostedscooby 02 Ultimate Racing Subaru Wrx
chrisj WRX
Cusson 2003 Subaru WRX
dawn94 WRX and a much older non-disclosed car
dos531 2006 Subaru WRX STi
dsaasd '05 Impreza WRX
EdWRX Subaru Impreza WRX
ESPNSTI 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (USDM)
Flippin Tricks MY06 WRX APC upgrade
flyingfridge Subaru Impreza WRX
gchislett '02 WRX
grrrex Subaru WRX 02
hybr1dmonk33 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
jayhawk 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX.
knemeth 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
lenny71 2002 SUBARU WRX STI
Mann Eng 2007 WRX STI
martinthebrit Subaru Impreza WRX
Matt_FX 165 GT4, WRX STi, & Corolla FXGT
mickmac Subaru WRX