Ownership Verified: The Banglebus - D-Fence's 2009 E61 Touring LCI

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I guess we all chuckled and moved along.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
Oh... I thought it was a play on The Vengabus song...

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Bus, Train, Bicycle, A 3 Pot Polo.
I'm shocked it took this long for someone to comment on that.

FINALLY.

Anyways. Picked her up yesterday.

The good:

- The car is mega good on the Autobahn. Cruise control works flawlessly, engine and gearbox are perfect for cruising along. It's not a rocket ship, but decently fast and rather frugal-ish for a 6 cyl Diesel.
- Kiddie seat installed, lots of room for the little one and passenger in front still has legroom
- Every single thing (despite the hydraulic tailgate which was removed) works. Even comfort access and softclose AND THE PANORAMIC ROOF!
- Fiancee doesn't hate it yet
- Seats are comfortable as hell and storage space is plenty.

The bad:

- Summer tires I got with it are basically dead, if I keep it in summer I need to buy new ones. Current winter ones are good for this winter and then also dead.
- Trailer hitch is stuck, can't be unlocked. WD40 and hammering might solve that.
- Slight pull to the right still there, tire pressure check next

Android headunit is being shipped, let's see how that turns out.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Tire pressure check showed 0.9 bar on rear right instead of 2.9 bar. Interestingly the TPMS didn't go off and showed green, so I don't think it's a leak, someone has reset it while the fire was low on air (probably when swapping to winters) and it didn't lose more. Filled up, reset TPMS, will monitor.

Trailer hitch still stuck, the lock is jammed. Drilling might happen.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Some people leave their detachable towbar installed all the time because they can't be bothered. This is what happens.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Is it too close to the fuel tank for a gas axe? Heat might loosen it and it can't be jammed if it's molten.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Is it too close to the fuel tank for a gas axe? Heat might loosen it and it can't be jammed if it's molten.

I would guess that the plastic part in the locking mechanism wouldn't like that very much.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
I would guess that the plastic part in the locking mechanism wouldn't like that very much.
I didn't consider plastic components, the second part of my comment would still apply. :p

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I didn't consider plastic components, the second part of my comment would still apply. :p

Yes, “it can’t be stuck if it’s liquid” is a good approach.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Yes, “it can’t be stuck if it’s liquid” is a good approach.

I prefer "lock can't be jammed if it is drilled out". It's just the damn lock that's stuck, not the mechanism itself, but because of the lock I can't release it.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Well, today was a day of cursing at the Chinese for not providing a manual, bleeding hands and success.

It was straightforward, old screen out, new screen in, put adaptor cable between head unit and bmw wiring harness.
What I didn't know until at some point I think Adrian pointed it out from memory was that one little green cable has to be moved from BMW quad lock to the adaptor one going into the headunit, otherwise no amp which means no Aux which means no sound. Greaaaaaaat. Big thanks to Nicjasno and Adrian for remembering how it worked on M5.

Now it has wired/wireless Android auto, wireless carplay and can aparantly play stuff from USB sticks. Google Assistant works from steering wheel button. Neat.

q6YLVAH.jpg

xOlS172.jpg

jG3hyKw.jpg

Also, random weirdness, I have an air circulation mode button on the steering wheel.

cehpYOw.jpg

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Just out of curiosity, is the CD player still functional?

I just realized the Alltrack is my first car without CD. Not that I ever used it in the last three cars I had.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
It's amazing how upgrading a head unit can make a car feel almost brand-new. Glad the install went easily; which unit did you get? My buddy has a 2016 228i and I think he wants CarPlay eventually. I know there are the "good" units that go for $800 to $900, but I've seen some cheaper ones that are Chinese and was curious about the quality.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Just out of curiosity, is the CD player still functional?

I just realized the Alltrack is my first car without CD. Not that I ever used it in the last three cars I had.

Should be, I have no CDs to try though. I found a ton of audiobooks and comedy routines on the HDD from the previous owner though, that's kinda hilarious ;)

It's amazing how upgrading a head unit can make a car feel almost brand-new. Glad the install went easily; which unit did you get? My buddy has a 2016 228i and I think he wants CarPlay eventually. I know there are the "good" units that go for $800 to $900, but I've seen some cheaper ones that are Chinese and was curious about the quality.

It's from Andream, works for Adrian and me.
https://www.android-car-dvd.de/coll...3-4-5-7-mini-x1-x3-x4-x5-x6-x7-cic-nbt-system This might work for him?

In case anyone else wants to do that, here are some useful links I got AFTER installing it.

https://mega.nz/folder/eM4DzaYa#9cxyPhhqGv878z0j_d43aw --> Links to manuals

7f6ca3637100fa9b9b32f57561c1f37c_0_w=4200.png
0caa5b16318b5ef49399f766e5806c2c_0_w=3508.jpg

Step 11 and 12 was what I didn't figure out, how am I supposed to know I need to transfer a plug from the original cable back to the headunit if you have an adaptor....

Last edited:

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Right, updates.

Switched all Glowplugs, starting still rough and unhealthy. Fault code still showed "Failure Activation Glow Plug Cyl 1" "Failure Activation Glow Plug Cyl 2" etc all the way up to 6. So the glowplug control unit is at fault (common on these engines that it goes, mounted on side of engine and in unlucky scenarios oil drips onto it from intake. Went to a large chain of repair shops here, no chance, part unavailable (thanks chip crisis). So I called BMW, part available in 3-6 months. Went to buy it new from BERU off ebay (2 available, 32 sold in the last week, so more people had that problem). Got my local garage to install it (he did it without removing intake manifold and cursed like a sailor "it's not like some stuff is in the way, EVERYTHING is in the way"). Anyways, problem solved, car starts as smooth as a Diesel can now.

Also got an allignment, front right was out, car stopped pulling to the right.

One issue that pissed me off for a while was that Android Auto does not switch to night mode, the whole software is broken and Google doesn't react to users complaining. Adrian has the same issue, basically, there are three ways to switch to night mode:

- Car headlight signal wire says "headlights are on", AA switches. This doesn't work for us because the Andream unit does not forward that signal to AA, but it dims the brightness of the display.

- Select "phone controlled" in developer options of AA, so basically as soon as your phone switches into dark mode AA switches.

- Force "dark mode" in AA options (in the car and the app).

What google did is break the second two options so it always selects car headlight controlled, doesn't matter what option you select in AA, it will ALWAYS wait for the headlight signal. It's rather embarassing that they don't fix it, so many users complained about it.

So, because this pissed me off, and I wanted a new phone - wanted to get a Pixel 6 Pro, but Google also fucked THAT up with broken software, I thought "why on earth am I bothering with Android which seems to get worse and worse, if I spend so much cash on a phone I can also get an iphone". Which I did.

BEHOLD, carplay JUST WORKS. And switches.

1642402813059.png

1642402835083.png

Honestly - I had an iPhone 3G and 3Gs, always hated how restricted it was. Now, I feel a bit different, it makes sure SHIT WORKS. So far, I have found nothing really which makes me think "uuh I wish I had Android back". Only thing I miss a little bit is the speedtrap warner app not launching when bluetooth is connected and disabling when bluetooth is disconnected, I found an automation to launch it, but still manually need to shut it down.

Anyways. What's next?

So far, nothing really. Car works, car is fun, upcoming issues might be:

- DPF is nearing full fill. There is a pre-warning in diagnostics but car shows no warnings in dash yet. Will see if a longer Autobahn drive burns it out again or if I need to get it cleaned (~600€).
- If I keep the car longer, I need new tires and might swap the Xenon burners. Both are ok, but left one is slightly more yellow than right one (OCD) and a refresh won't hurt

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Ah yes, the BMW glow plug relays are on intergalactic back order right now. I can't get them either.

Carplay is far from trouble free though, but the most annoying thing got fixed in some update a while back. The bug where Waze puts Spotify on pause every time the Waze lady speaks, so you have to go in and hit Play again.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Ah yes, the BMW glow plug relays are on intergalactic back order right now. I can't get them either.

Yup, two different parts dealers here also couldn't supply. You can recommend people to buy directly of BERU on eBay f.e. though, they have em. ;)