The best car... in the world. (Cuz JC said so.)

Komeuppance

Mr. Old Man Merc
Car(s)
The best car... in the world.
According to Jeremy Clarkson, whom I am very much alike according to my friend (who is very much like James May... unfortunately), this is the best car in the world.

Msq6.jpg

Msq7.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

5098012131_d65295be7f_z.jpg

(Photo by K.Cederwall)

These photos were taken recently from a Mitsubishi Starion meet in Vegas. I drove 2,800 miles round trip to be there, and the car was great... aside from a cracked oil line and loss of coolant.

The car has been my daily driver for the past 5 years, and I've put almost 40k on it. 30k being that low. Currently, it is the LOWEST Starion... in the world. And has been for years running, although there are those that want to compete with me for some reason haha... I'm still waiting.

TwoNaHalf0.jpg

Custom suspension, custom exhaust, all made with my own hands and a bunch of other modifications to ride this low daily.

TheShop.jpg

My play room. All these are mine, except the silver one on the left... which used to be mine and was there being serviced.

The car has been featured on many online blogs and even SpeedHunters. Most recently appearing in an Australian calendar as Miss June with this old pic:
HdrRain2.jpg

But all of that isn't/wasn't a goal for me, just icing on the cake so to speak. As soon as I saw a picture of one of these cars, I had to have one. I was addicted. It became a dream car of mine. I purchased this one in barely running condition and have improved it (at least I'd like to think so) since.

Most importantly, my goal for the car is being able to do this anytime I want:

It IS the best car in the world.

-Robert

Wow, it's a Starion. Really love those. And yours is the definition of badass.

Getting strong Knight Rider vibes from it, and I do prefer a Starion to an '82 Trans Am.

Nice car! I've always had a soft spot for the Starion. Looks properly badass too in black :D

I'm glad you haven't gone for the over blacked out look on the lights and whiting out the indicators lenses and xenons on the main beams, it looks just perfect as it is, very 80s/early 90s and chunky but still very cool.

The car has been my daily driver for the past 5 years, and I've put almost 40k on it. 30k being that low. Currently, it is the LOWEST Starion... in the world. And has been for years running, although there are those that want to compete with me for some reason haha... I'm still waiting.

Being a Mitsu I thought you were referring to dollars and not miles. :p

Seriously nice car.

Thanks guys!!

Haha, the Starion can be called the Japanese Trans Am/Firebird. I just need a sweet black leather jacket with Firebird logo on the back. I'll pop the collar and blast some Scorpions or Rush. Not really into the all blacked out look, the fog lights I removed and plan to duct that air flow for brake cooling.

-Robert

Awesome! It looks delightfully eeeevil. :D

has this been sold in europe? i've never heard of a mitsubishi starion (and would've said it's an rx7 :blush:)

Damn, that's badass!

I want more of those awesome rolling photos of it, such a beautie!

That is a really nice car.
But unfortunately I am going to have to disagree with your claim in the title.
The best car in the world is the 2005 Holden Monaro, honestly nothing else can go around corners like it.
And nothing can Powerslide Powerslide Powerslide Powerslide like it.
But yea thats a nice car.

^^Just don't start a flame war there xD

The best car in the world is the 2005 Holden Monaro, honestly nothing else can go around corners like it.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, things like the best *insert object* are all subjective to opinions.
When it comes to cars, one person may like the nuances of one cars' handling and another person may hate that.

So, your post could be seen as trolling in a sense.

Plus he's also referring to what Clarkson said in an episode of TG where he had a Starion himself for a challenge.
As for what the Monaro is like? Just wait til you actually drive one, it's not that amazing.

Yes they were exported to Europe most went to the UK and Germany. Jeremy Clarkson chose one in the "cheap coupes that aren't porsches challenge", season 6 episode 2. (http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/budget-coupes?VideoBrowserMode=categories&VideoCategory=Challenges) At the end of the final challenge, he signed the car "This is the best car in the world. Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear" I imported the speedometer/instrument cluster from a UK Starion owner, for my car, because the speedo goes up to 160MPH vs 150MPH (US Spec). JC's car in the challenge only did 119 on that high speed oval, it must have been lacking in power since I easily hit that speed on the way to work.

EDIT: Just saw the reply about a Monaro... ha.

-Robert

Last edited:

how old are you? already have a driving license?

and i'm pretty sure the McLaren F1 is a better car than the monaro :rolleyes:

As for what the Monaro is like? Just wait til you actually drive one, it's not that amazing.
This. It's just a 2-door Commodore and it feels it. (I haven't driven one, but I have been a passenger, and it felt exactly like a Commodore)
Not always a bad thing, but it's certainly not the best in the world, or even Australia.

I imported the speedometer/instrument cluster from a UK Starion owner, for my car, because the speedo goes up to 160MPH vs 150MPH (US Spec). JC's car in the challenge only did 119 on that high speed oval, it must have been lacking in power since I easily hit that speed on the way to work.

You replaced your 150 mph speedometer with the U.K. one as it goes up to 160 mph, even though your car will never come close to 150 mph. Why?

This. It's just a 2-door Commodore and it feels it. (I haven't driven one, but I have been a passenger, and it felt exactly like a Commodore)
Not always a bad thing, but it's certainly not the best in the world, or even Australia.

I've driven my sister's GTO, it is nice but you do feel the weight.

LOL... I've done nearly 150, with just a 3" exhaust in under a mile from a standing start. Next time I go out for a run, I'll get it GPS verified.

-Robert

LOL... I've done nearly 150, with just a 3" exhaust in under a mile from a standing start. Next time I go out for a run, I'll get it GPS verified.

-Robert

Tthe top of the range Starion has a max speed of 136 mph.

I'm actually a big fan of the Starion's, they have that very distinct 80s look, and they are really rare nowadays. BTW the photo with your car next to the mountains with the clouds is amazing! :)