Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Someone say need for speed?
b192b820f5b52293dd2e6efdf5ee3f7d.jpg

FTW :p
Meh, quite a fun game, but the physics are too much on the arcade side.

I was bored the other day and attempted to powerslide / drift through a race, but I couldn't pull it off in a stock Viper. It'd just straighten out and yes, I had all assists off and was in King mode.

powah

Meh, quite a fun game, but the physics are too much on the arcade side.

I was bored the other day and attempted to powerslide / drift through a race, but I couldn't pull it off in a stock Viper. It'd just straighten out and yes, I had all assists off and was in King mode.
Yeah, physics are strange. The most fun mode is speed challenge because of all the crashes, and I like the hack things that are out there for it. Lately I've been trying to make replicas of real life cars, like the Dodge Viper ACR :wink:

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Yeah, physics are strange. The most fun mode is speed challenge because of all the crashes, and I like the hack things that are out there for it. Lately I've been trying to make replicas of real life cars, like the Dodge Viper ACR :wink:
Yeah, Speed mode is pretty fun.

Average Guy

was previously known as "Small Guy" and soon to be
Car(s)
2015 VW Polo 1.2 TSI
b192b820f5b52293dd2e6efdf5ee3f7d.jpg

All ready won the game :cool:

There is GRID which I think will be the next game in the race driver series by Codemasters, the first trailer didn't look good but the other videos do plus doesn't contain nearly as many cars as it's predecessors. That will be out June/July.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32540.html

DO WANT! But i want it now not at summer its like Top Gear:cry:
Codemasters i beg you on my knees release the game in May i beg you :bow:

Last edited:

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
RACE 07 is a great game. Better than LFS in my opinion.

GRID does look really good too. Expect it to be a good blend of arcade and sim, much like Codemaster's previous game: DiRT.

If you like rally, DiRT is really good. Need a beefy PC to get the best graphics though.

Cryptopygia

The Eastern state where you can't fill your tank
Car(s)
Whichever car is still working
*snip*

No, no, no. You got it all wrong... :p

What you really want in a Need for Speed game is this...

http://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/07/needforspeed3cdcoversccjk2_000.jpg

:thumbup:

To actually answer the OP, it would have to depend on what you're looking for in a game. Live for Speed offers an incredibly realistic driving experience, rFactor is easily expandable with the amount of mods out for it (in fact, the mods improve the game quite a bit, personally), while TOCA has a greater range of vehicles and an extra pick-up-and-play factor, but lacks a simulation feeling to the gameplay. Ultimately, I'd have to say it relies on your personal tastes, not on those of others. I recommend downloading the demos of various games, from the simulation and arcade ranges, and give them a try before deciding to plonk the money down on a new game, to see which stlye you prefer.

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
If you like rally, DiRT is really good. Need a beefy PC to get the best graphics though.

Speaking of which, I remembered the other day that I hadn't played that on my new PC, so I installed it. Unlike my old PC on which it barely ran, it now runs at 1920x1200 on max settings and easily hits the 30 FPS cap, heh.

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Speaking of which, I remembered the other day that I hadn't played that on my new PC, so I installed it. Unlike my old PC on which it barely ran, it now runs at 1920x1200 on max settings and easily hits the 30 FPS cap, heh.

Right on. You can turn off the 30 fps cap if you disable V-sync. I can get up to 50-60fps at 1024 x 768 (I don't have a widescreen monitor).

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Right on. You can turn off the 30 fps cap if you disable V-sync. I can get up to 50-60fps at 1024 x 768 (I don't have a widescreen monitor).
Ah, nice. Thanks! :)

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
One other quick DiRT tip you may or may not already know:

Even if you have a good sound card, set the sound settings down to the lowest levels and the game will run quite a bit smoother, especially on the multi car races such as the CORR trucks and Raids:

Mixer: Software
DSP: Off
Sound channels: very low

I have an X-Fi Extreme Gamer, and turning those settings up makes the game stutter, even if the actual FPS reading doesn't show a slow down.

Could just be an X-Fi thing, not sure.

Using those settings makes it run very smooth though and it still sounds decent :)

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
I had my audio settings maxxed and I got no stuttering or anything, but I have an Audigy 2 ZS.

However, every time I'd start the game, play, and then quit, everything coming outta my speakers sounded like it was really shit bitrate (poor quality MP3). I switched it to software now and we'll see if that fixes it (haven't had a chance to play it since I switched).

Oh, and I'm running patch 1.1 (no crack for 1.2 and it has bugfixes over 1.0).

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
The problem I was having could just be an X-Fi issue. Wouldn't be the first such specific X-fi problem, hehe.

There is a crack for 1.2.....you can get it at http://gamecopyworld.com/

Can't really remember what changed in 1.2, so it may not even be worth it.

EDIT:

Here's the change log for 1.2

* Fixed a bug where some saved games were being corrupted during the save process. Saved games are only usable by the PC and user that created them.

* Includes a new set of leaderboards. These are separate to the existing leaderboards which will remain visible for people playing version 1.0 or 1.1.

* Also includes fixes of patch 1.1

.....bascially adds a new leaderboard to remove the cheat times from 1.1

If you aren't having the corrupt save game problem and don't care about the leaderboard, then it probably isn't worth it. Gameplay remains the same.

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)

That didn't work. I have V-sync off (it'd be locked at 60 FPS if I had it on I'd think). The 30 FPS is probably there as you can't really tell higher and it stops the game from going from high FPS to low FPS and back to high. Keeping it at 30 makes the game look smoother.

Although with my video card, maybe I should try V-Sync and see if I can get it to stick to 60...

However, every time I'd start the game, play, and then quit, everything coming outta my speakers sounded like it was really shit bitrate (poor quality MP3). I switched it to software now and we'll see if that fixes it (haven't had a chance to play it since I switched).

Fixed with using "software" and maxxing out the software audio settings. Yay! :)

There is a crack for 1.2.....you can get it at http://gamecopyworld.com/

Can't really remember what changed in 1.2, so it may not even be worth it.

EDIT:

Here's the change log for 1.2

* Fixed a bug where some saved games were being corrupted during the save process. Saved games are only usable by the PC and user that created them.

* Includes a new set of leaderboards. These are separate to the existing leaderboards which will remain visible for people playing version 1.0 or 1.1.

* Also includes fixes of patch 1.1

.....bascially adds a new leaderboard to remove the cheat times from 1.1

If you aren't having the corrupt save game problem and don't care about the leaderboard, then it probably isn't worth it. Gameplay remains the same.

Ah, excellent. Didn't think to check there.

And yeah, I need the patch. My main saved game is corrupted, but that may be because I played DIRT on a different PC before technically.

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
That didn't work. I have V-sync off (it'd be locked at 60 FPS if I had it on I'd think). The 30 FPS is probably there as you can't really tell higher and it stops the game from going from high FPS to low FPS and back to high. Keeping it at 30 makes the game look smoother.

Although with my video card, maybe I should try V-Sync and see if I can get it to stick to 60...

I just did a little test and mine never caps to 30 FPS, even with V-sync on or off. It stays around 50 FPS for me either way.

So I'm not sure why you're seeing a 30 FPS cap afterall. Weirdness :blink:

Does it go up if you bump the res down?

But like you said, if it's smooth at 30 FPS, it really doesn't matter :)

Viper007Bond

STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Does it go up if you bump the res down?

It's not a video card limitation. It literally sticks right at 29-31 FPS. Never up, never down.

Yaco

New York State where there are trees and farms.
Car(s)
No cars at this time but...
The Gran Turismo series is great if you're after an easy arcade game that you can burn a few hours on.

Arcade game? Maybe in comparison to LFS but that's on a different plateform and needs a wheel to feel better. I think GT series is the best for game consoles but LFS is the best in realism. The new GT is supposed to be close to LFS from what I've been reading.

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
It's not a video card limitation. It literally sticks right at 29-31 FPS. Never up, never down.

Very strange. I'm using an 8800GTS and like I said, it goes up to 50-70 FPS for me, but on lower resolutions.

Werner

Car(s)
'11 Toyota Aygo; '07 Honda CB600F Hornet
Richard Burns Rally :banana:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=OdSPHFqplfA[/YOUTUBE]

i found it really hard and it takes quite alot of practice to get every turn right ;)

Also Race'07, GTR2 & rFactor are very good racers.