The Biden Years

no, a natural gas pipeline cannot ever carry „green hydrogen“, Norbert, wherever in Russia that’s supposed to come from...
Uh... what? :blink: Do you have a link? I want to know more.

Uh... what? :blink: Do you have a link? I want to know more.
You mean him saying that or why hydrogen doesn’t work in a NG pipeline? :p

1:
2: actually scratch that wiki entry, that doesn’t really help... Basically it’s the physics, as (pure) H2 requires substantially different operational parameters than what is used for CH4. There is a possibility of adding H2 to the CH4, but the limit for that in the (German) grid is 5%.
Still leaves the question of where the H2 is supposed to come from... Russia isn’t really known for their progressive renewables development and grey/blue H2 doesn’t help anyone from a CO2/climate standpoint. To be fair, I don’t have a direct quote from someone I’d consider knowledgeable because that tweet is too insignificant to warrant any such comment.

edit2: there’s some detail about H2 in steel pipes here, but not quite what I’m after https://www.mannesmann-linepipe.com...on_gasfoermigem_Wasserstoff_via_Pipelines.pdf

edit3: this is better and comes with a sufficiently scientific background https://www.materials.fraunhofer.de...ng-von-wasserstoff-fuer-die-energiewende.html
Das Problem dabei ist, dass Wasserstoff die Festigkeit und Zähigkeit von Werkstoffen herabsetzen und zu einem spontanen oder auch zeitlich verzögerten Versagen von Komponenten führen kann. Bei der sogenannten Wasserstoffversprödung dringt atomarer Wasserstoff in das Gefüge von Metallen ein und schwächt die atomaren Bindungen, was zu Rissen und zu Brüchen führen kann.

Last edited:
Okay, that, but let's not be pedantic. :p

I personally believe that an oil pipeline in the same continent from a country that is a well known and extremely trusted ally that already provides most of the oil to the states was not that bad of an idea. Especially since you really no longer can trust countries such as Venezuela, which was the the third biggest exporter of oil to the states just a couple of years ago. This is before noting that other Biden policies are likely to reduce the US ability to generate its own supply.

The one executive order that made me happy is related though, as the Biden administration is rolling back the changes done by the previous one with regards to national monuments and halting the exploitation of land which would no longer be protected by the regulations applying to them. As a place which has diverse and plentiful natural beauty, it is important to preserve it in as much as it can be within reason.

The country does not own the pipeline. It is owned by a company that has something of a history of having problems with spills from pipelines.

Bwahaha, the current White House press secretary Jen Psaki is brilliant in shooting down sleazily asked questions! :bow:

Bwahaha, the current White House press secretary Jen Psaki is brilliant in shooting down sleazily asked questions! :bow:

Where's the aggressive retorts? Where's the name calling? Where's the walking off stage to pout? :D

Part 2 was a pretty good one, part 1 sounds like something that would've gotten a dozen articles about how that answer meant the end of democracy two months ago.

Part 2 was a pretty good one, part 1 sounds like something that would've gotten a dozen articles about how that answer meant the end of democracy two months ago.

Hey, it's only the end of democracy if the other guy is saying it.

I have an ever so slightly ever so subtle major crush on her :love:

An example of the kind of "sanity" I was expecting.

So...remember that time that Trump closed a detainment camp in the border to distract people from whatever?

‘A huge step backwards’: Anger as Biden admin reopen Trump-era migrant camp for children

This wouldn't have been necessary of course, but one of the executive orders that Biden signed means that the US is not immediately deporting minors and you're running out of space to host them. This combined with the increase of people sending minors on the belief that border patrol will rubber stamp their approval (the US has purchased commercial time locally to categorically deny this will be the case going back to the Obama admin and only stopping now) means that you have literal hundreds of kids roaming northern Mexico at the mercy of harsh conditions, not to mention the gangs.

This, of course, led to riots in Portland. I am surprised they did not get more coverage, but here we are.

Refreshing to have an honest leader address us. Impressive their ability to get competitors working together and the May dates. I thought it was good giving a picture that 1) there is hope 2) it could go wrong 3) if it works out July 4th party 4) not a big party just small ones. Competence is so cool.

Okay, setting aside the arrest, the rifle, and that this suspect was probably out to cause harm - "Unregistered ammunition?"

This story is disturbing enough, we don't have to "jazz it up" with nonsense. There is no "ammunition registry" nationally or in the state of Texas - the only exception is for destructive devices, such as exploding cannon rounds, grenades, or anything larger than .50 caliber. This was an AR-15 pattern rifle, so it was most likely firing standard .223 cal or 5.56mm rounds - a far cry from the >.50 cal criteria for registration under the NFA. The largest caliber I'm aware of that you can fire from an AR-15 is .50 Beowulf - and it was designed for stopping vehicles trying to run roadblocks. I very much doubt he was lugging around 113 rounds of the stuff - and .50 Beowulf is still not a destructive device.

Unregistered Ammunition is a separate charge in DC

Could "unregistered ammunition" be ammunition for an unregistered firearm? Honest question.