The Biden Years

From my reading it's ammunition not for a registered weapon.

Ie you have a registered 9mm but are in possession .357 ammunition. This would be probable cause for further searches besides incident to arrest search of the individual.

There's no national firearms registry aside from the NFA, some states will have state-level registration of firearms (some will do just pistols, but ignore long guns, others register everything). "Unregistered ammunition" would apply to the ammunition itself, not the firearm.

I didn't even know you had to register ammunition.

I didn't even know you had to register ammunition.

It not so much that you have to register the ammunition as purchase or be in possession of ammunition that corresponds to your registered weapon.

I'm not surprised that they are walking on egg shells the Republicans would tear into them for allowing potheads, even if they just smoked weed once, to have security clearance. After all we questioned the wisdom of Trump overriding and giving security clearance to people with a wide range of serious disqualifying issues involving foreign influence, conflicts of interest, concerning personal conduct, financial problems, drug use and criminal conduct...

You're not allowed to work on cars if the drug test comes back as showing weed use.

Headline: Biden administration careful with security clearances and White House staffers.... continues being competent

Solution: Legalize cannabis and re-schedule it based on science and not racist 1960s-1970s politics. Then re-hire staffers, collect tax windfall.

Solution: Legalize cannabis and re-schedule it based on science and not racist 1960s-1970s politics. Then re-hire staffers, collect tax windfall.
I can’t stand the stuff, but yes, that seems like the best option. But I hope they’ll restrict where people are allowed to smoke it. ?

I can’t stand the stuff, but yes, that seems like the best option. But I hope they’ll restrict where people are allowed to smoke it. ?

That would be the work of a restrictive government, or so it will be sold by Marijuana advocates.

I don't have strong opinions on it, apart from the fact that on one side, criminalization of cannabis has had some interesting and unfortunate effects, such as the lack of research into hemp for industrial uses. And on the other, that it could cause a slippery slope resulting in similar legislation to the one in Oregon decriminalizing possession of hard drugs, which is a measure everyone in the country should follow very carefully.

Last edited:
We are also moving towards partial legalization, decriminalizing consumption, and the possession of smaller amounts of marijuana.

That would be the work of a restrictive government, or so it will be sold by Marijuana advocates.
Many states have smoking bans to protect non-smokers and you're not allowed to drink alcohol in public so that wouldn't be any different. There are so many things which are restricted that a legalization with certain restrictions is better than keeping Marijuana illegal. That would be rational thinking though so as you wrote there will be a number of people opposing restrictions...

I haven't touched the stuff in 20 years despite plenty of opportunity and I am pro legalisation. A well regulated legalisation. One where you can't get it under a certain age and where the suff isn't getting any "stronger" the whole time. One where you can only get it from licensed dealers, you can't buy large amounts and where a part of the profits is directly channeld into addiction-treatment/prevention as well as into helping people addicted to harder substances.
I'm all aboard for that kind of legalization.

So as a Coloradoan, one of the first states to legalize recreational marijuana, I have some insight. I think that it's probably better that Biden not be the vessel to push national legalization. I don't think he wants to anyways but more importantly it is a ballot question that drives voting that ends up supporting the Democrat candidate.

Colorado is brought up in every states campaign to legalize, not the tax revenue but ads with misleading information and out right lies. Misleading: "weed never provided any money to Denver Schools" Correct; because Denver Schools didn't request any, they are well funded, rather money went to rural school districts in the state without the tax base to fully fund their renovations. Lies: (shows regular candy) marijuana is being marketed to children False; there are clear laws against marijuana candy packaging in that style just not be allowed in Colorado under our laws.

Arizona put marijuana on the ballot 2016. The opposition lied, it passed, and they got a Democrat Senator. That's why I cynically think Democrats don't want to push national legalization. Better to talk infrastructure anyways.

Also in Biden News: Biden fell getting on Air Force One, the dog is back, and Biden wiped away around $1 billion in student loan debt for borrowers who were defrauded by their institutions. Want to guess which one got more coverage? (hint not that one that helped 72,000 regular people)

Last edited:

Addressing the most recent mass shooting that took 10 including one police officer Biden expressed his sympathy and desire to sign legislation. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer says he will advance bills passed by the house and Republican Sen Toomey's background check bill get a second life.

And on the other, that it could cause a slippery slope resulting in similar legislation to the one in Oregon decriminalizing possession of hard drugs, which is a measure everyone in the country should follow very carefully.

So this is not technically correct, but it is tangentially related, as you will soon get some data points on hidden crime:

State’s Attorney, Mayor’s Office, and Community Partners Announce Success of Covid Criminal Justice Policies

Nice Title, let's dig in, shall we?

One year ago, the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office (SAO), consulted with public health experts to adopt a progressive, common sense approach to crime and slow the spread of COVID-19 in prison and jails. As a result, the office decided to stop prosecuting the following offenses:

• CDS (drug) possession
  • Attempted distribution CDS
  • Paraphernalia possession
  • Prostitution
  • Trespassing
  • Minor traffic offenses
  • Open container
  • Rogue and vagabond
  • Urinating/defecating in public

If this does not make you clench. It should. All of a sudden traffic can resemble that of a dense third world city, people will be openly drunk on the streets, and you will wake up feeling the full San Francisco experience through your nostrils. However, Baltimore sees this as an absolute win, because...

The results of these policies have been nothing short of successful. According to data from the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the overall incarcerated population in Baltimore City is down 18% during COVID and the data reveals there has been a 39% decrease in people entering the criminal justice system compared to this time last year.

Emphasis theirs. And...

• Violent crime is down 20% (comparing March 13, 2020 and March 13, 2021)
  • Property crime is down 36% (same period)

The data showed that 911 calls about drug use, public intoxication and sex work (a proxy for public concern) did not increase following the policy; rather, from March – December 2020, there was a 33% reduction in calls mentioning drugs and a 50% reduction in calls mentioning sex work compared to the prior 2 years.

This sounds great...by itself. However, it seems like this celebration hinges rather heavily on people entering the justice system and the total incarcerated population as success metrics. If we apply a reductio ad absurdum to this, you could achieve these goals by merely failing to prosecute all offenses. This is before we get to the much more subjective conversation on whether those offenses are actually minor (jaywalking is, someone breaking into your property is most assuredly not.)

A reduction in 911 calls is also to be expected as people were less mobile during the pandemic. Not to mention, you undermine the trust in the 911 system if they do nothing after you call them, making you less likely to call them in case of an emergency. With no means to defend themselves, even through means allowable by law, people are at the mercy of these offenders until their minor crime becomes a major one. At which point one can expect it is already too late for anyone to do anything about it but take statements or call an ambulance.

The press release is linked so you can make your own conclusions. However, I believe I have given it a fair shake. It concerns me to no end that State and DA offices continue to put forward these measures, instead of creating recovery and support programs to actually address the issue while maintaining strict policies for repeat offenders of people who are beyond help. The Federal government also seems to have no posture about this beyond tacit knowledge.

I have to say it's very robust set of plans. From getting rid of lead pipes to universal pre K it's an impressive reimagining of America from the ground up. The Republican rebuttal was odd in that it discussed none of it.