The Biden Years

I love the beginning of this:

"The chair lays before the Senate two certificates of election for the state of Georgia and a certificate of appointment to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of former Senator Kamala D. Harris of California"

- Kamala D Harris, Vice President of the United States

Yup, around here that started this week after being completely remote since November. They’re only doing 2 in person/3 in person weekly rotations. A wait and see if you will.

You don't need to wait and see. Kids are messy, you already know what you will see if you wait...about two weeks. Shutting down the schools and going back to remote was supposed to be the thing everyone was pushing for when that idiot mandate was bestowed upon us. Especially with widespread vaccination already starting you just need to wait until about the beginning of the next "normal" school year to be sure that an absolute majority of kids will be vaccinated.

You don't need to wait and see. Kids are messy, you already know what you will see if you wait...about two weeks. Shutting down the schools and going back to remote was supposed to be the thing everyone was pushing for when that idiot mandate was bestowed upon us. Especially with widespread vaccination already starting you just need to wait until about the beginning of the next "normal" school year to be sure that an absolute majority of kids will be vaccinated.
I don't make the rules, I just live here.

Also: wasn't there a plan to vaccinate 100million people in 100 days? if that works out, then opening the schools at that point doesn't really sound like a bad idea to me anymore...

Also: wasn't there a plan to vaccinate 100million people in 100 days? if that works out, then opening the schools at that point doesn't really sound like a bad idea to me anymore...

The good news is there is a downward trend of infections. Hopefully the vaccination deal works.

Schools here are already open and we are in the top 5 states for COVID transmission rates. At least planning to open in 100 days gives us more than three months to implement Biden's national approach to fighting the virus. Trump pushed that off to the states, and many states punted it to the counties, who can't handle it and let individual municipalities deal with it. Most cities are used to bickering over the new 7-11 being too close to a school and the kids will go buy all the Twinkies - they can't handle a major outbreak.

Also, in 100 days we will be nearly done with the spring semester for most students, schools may just finish out the year virtually. By then we should see lower transmission rates due to the warmer weather, people not gathering indoors, and being able to air out buildings - that gets us into the school summer holiday months, and even more time to get ahead of this thing.

Yup, around here that started this week after being completely remote since November. They’re only doing 2 in person/3 in person weekly rotations. A wait and see if you will.

Here they are going in person 5 days a week, starting in August.

Biden pushes to reopen schools within 100 days

I thought we didn't want to do this quite yet, not until most of those kids are vaccinated.

Regardless of political party parents dont want to see their child for a majority of the day. It is almost universally accepted that parents vote for plans to see their child less hence the popularity of universal pre k programs. Actually the only place this doesn't hold true is year round school because parents don't want their kid getting too smart.

I do think there is a difference saying in three months time with planning and preparation we should be able... vs just do it! There was no plan in regards to Trump's call to states to OPEN UP THE SCHOOLS!

Broad strokes yeah I agree with you @gaasc just concentrate on the next full year.

There definitely is a difference in what's happening.
Take a skim of the National Strategy breaking down goals, key steps, intermediate steps, data....

vs the first "ReOpen" that was just telling everyone to ignore it in late April of 2020. It feels like a long time ago but yeah just last April. Remember the open up protest? Remember when Trump supporters purposeful blocked ambulances (those lil scamps)

Meanwhile confirmation of the cabinet seems to be moving along well. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/21/9591...ete-gets-friendly-reception-at-senate-hearing

I think it's more than "parents don't want to see their kids" - parents can't afford to see their kids. Having to have someone home to take care of them takes money away because one parent can't work. Having kids at home while working from home can be disruptive and unprofessional. It's a symptom of how hard it is to live on a single income for most families.

I think it's more than "parents don't want to see their kids" - parents can't afford to see their kids. Having to have someone home to take care of them takes money away because one parent can't work. Having kids at home while working from home can be disruptive and unprofessional. It's a symptom of how hard it is to live on a single income for most families.

Agreed on the other hand my sister is a stay at home mom with a housekeeper and they had a nanny too...

I was being a hyperbolic and it was unfair.

That said I really felt the first calls to return kids to schools were premature. Let's note the calls to reopen schools was in July of 2020 just three months after the failure of the reopen of the economy in April.

I have more faith in the Biden administration if for only one reason they have released clear information.

Family facebook is now full of "don't like pipelines? Turn off your gas, you hypocrite" memes now. :rolleyes:

Family facebook is now full of "don't like pipelines? Turn off your gas, you hypocrite" memes now. :rolleyes:
The old fuck coworker said something today "now they're trying to shut down all the gas pipelines."

:| ONE, ONE PIPELINE THAT WAS PLANNED.

To be fair it was a pretty large pipeline. :p

I think you mean planned potentially could have been if everything had gone right and oil prices remained high... major. It would have been 1200 miles and transported Canadian oil sands crude.

We got along without it, we don't need it, and the project might never have been profitable.

Last edited:
We got along without it, we don't need it, and the project might never have been profitable
So basically the exact same discussion we have over here regarding the north stream 2 pipeline for Russian natural gas... lovely ?‍♂️ including high ranking politicians that should know better spouting utter nonsense (no, a natural gas pipeline cannot ever carry „green hydrogen“, Norbert, wherever in Russia that’s supposed to come from...)

I think you mean planned potentially could have been if everything had gone right and oil prices remained high... major. It would have been 1200 miles and transported Canadian oil sands crude.

We got along without it, we don't need it, and the project might never have been profitable.

Okay, that, but let's not be pedantic. :p

I personally believe that an oil pipeline in the same continent from a country that is a well known and extremely trusted ally that already provides most of the oil to the states was not that bad of an idea. Especially since you really no longer can trust countries such as Venezuela, which was the the third biggest exporter of oil to the states just a couple of years ago. This is before noting that other Biden policies are likely to reduce the US ability to generate its own supply.

The one executive order that made me happy is related though, as the Biden administration is rolling back the changes done by the previous one with regards to national monuments and halting the exploitation of land which would no longer be protected by the regulations applying to them. As a place which has diverse and plentiful natural beauty, it is important to preserve it in as much as it can be within reason.

Protections for "Dreamers" was important to me. I'm a white guy from rural Wisconsin, but DACA is an issue that tugs at my heartstrings, in the same way as when I read stories about deporting immigrant veterans, etc...treating these folks like less-than-people churns me stomach.