The Big Rig thread!

I'm on containers again this week... Which is awful.
For the first time I got tipped by one of those sky crane thingys at the docks... These guys deserve a billion pound wages. It looks like a fucking awful job. The guy in front was getting loaded and was parked a bit pissed, the crane guy has to load and load at an angle from a thousand miles in the air. (I wonder if their necks are fucked???)

P.s. I believe there was a 'simulator' of this job on Steam somewhere. Probably Rick's GOTY.

This would be more interesting if it was filmed

All good crane drivers are really impressive, manipulating an object from so far away with speed and safety.

Last edited:
Fuck me, DVSA pulled me over at the docks. The dock has two exits... One is clear, the other sometimes has the womblers there... I was being lazy and lost 30 minutes.

I'm not a law breaker per say, but my tacho wouldn't download properly which is a good thing. :phew:

i have no idea what you just wrote :|

I recently started at a new company, we drive for the biggest shipping company in Iceland. All of the trucks are MB Actros. Our oldest truck is an 04 and we're getting a new one this summer, replacing(or just adding) am 07 truck that passed a million kms recently.

18423983_10212471727899017_6338945466987209035_n.jpg

Newest and most well equipped truck

18556998_10212504010466061_6380164766160295819_n.jpg

Our million km truck

Aston Martin, Loving your mini everyday is a day-of-hell reviews! Funnily enough, I was born and bred in Beverley and my old man worked most of his life for North Sea Ferries (then P&O) out of King George Dock, which I guess is the dock you mention?

Aston Martin, Loving your mini everyday is a day-of-hell reviews! Funnily enough, I was born and bred in Beverley and my old man worked most of his life for North Sea Ferries (then P&O) out of King George Dock, which I guess is the dock you mention?

If I'm on containers it's usually Immingham/Killingholme. I'll use King George to collect or to drop, but most of our work is over the Humber and they don't like to pay bridge fees. So once you're over you stay there all week.

I don't mention most of my days as people would think they're made up.

Self-made double decker RV...

[video=youtube;xeMT1d_L-hw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeMT1d_L-hw[/video]

I'm beginning to see a lot of new Cascadias over here in Toronto. I also like the new Volvo VNL as well. Only a matter of time before we see a lot of those on the highways too.

vo-vnl860-16-0003.jpg

It was weird seeing one in the Top Gear Vietnam special.

I can't imagine that American trucks, with their weird blind spots and long wheelbases, could be much fun on the twisty and steep mountain roads there. Russia makes more sense.

The export of USDM conventionals to Russia is really interesting to me. Are they all used or do the OEMs import new ones too?

My guess is that they were exported after reaching a trillion miles on US roads and coming to the end of their first-world life span. Plus that Volvo isn't just a truck with some stickers, its a Dale Earhart Jr. special edition.

Really liking the Freightliner New Cascadia I'm seeing out here in Nebraska. (Not my photo.)

d6cabdf6bba43d119894e962cb13bcae.jpg

They're really nice, I got to drive one when I was interning for Daimler. Some of the tech they have is pretty awesome, like the smart gas pedal that gives force feedback to reduce consumption and automatic transmissions that shift based on the GPS location of approaching highway inclines such that the gear chosen is the optimal one for a given load, incline, and speed.

There's some other cool tech but I don't think it has been publicly disclosed yet.

Last edited: