The Big Rig thread!

New Mack Anthem unveiled.

WkgKEBl.png

yFP3Mkn.png

The headlights look out of place, but otherwise a decent looking rig. I still prefer the old aerodynamic monstrosities like the classic Peterbilt 379.

Wow I hate it. I hope there's a plainer stripper version for fleets that does away with a lot of the gaudy trim, or at least replaces the chrome-y bits with something cheaper and less flashy.

Are the silver stripes (together with the MACK logo) supposed to look like a bullbar...?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I need some interior pics

I think so yeah, at least that was my first idea, I like it, it's bold, maybee the headlights are a little off somehow, but it's a Goddamn Mack...what's not to like? A welcome change from all the overly psuedo aero crap route US trucks have been taking lately....

Besides, if you don't like chrome trim on a truck, what the hell good to anyone are ya?

Last edited:
It's hilarious how the cab and engine cover together is like 3 times longer than an European truck cab. :lol:

I guess american trucks don't have bumper to bumper length restrictions. Every centimeter counts over here.

edit: you can also tell by the round diesel tanks that space between the axles isn't at a premium.

Last edited:
Just saw this thing drive by:

IMG_20170918_232718.jpg

g8y2lwh.jpg

New Mack Anthem unveiled.

yFP3Mkn.png

The headlights look out of place, but otherwise a decent looking rig. I still prefer the old aerodynamic monstrosities like the classic Peterbilt 379.

Wow, the truck behind that silly face lift must be few decades old. That can't be a recent cab design.

EDIT: Came across this post on VWVortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8833585-Tesla-Semi-Truck-to-be-unveiled-October-26th-is-quot-unreal-quot&p=107660377&viewfull=1#post107660377
My dad used to be a sound/vibration engineer at Mack so I was pretty excited to email him about this one. This was his reply:

"I can't believe it has been this long since they updated this truck, and it is only a face lift. Still the same cab and sleeper box, just new hood, bumper, and fairings. I recommended that type of sun visor change when I was there because the old integrated design made too much noise from poor air flow. Interesting."

I guess the Vision hasn't been shiny and new since 1999. Actually, it looks like the Vision was, itself, a facelift of the CH series that came out in 1988.

sold-15-12-28-1005151a.jpg

Last edited:
I really want to drive US trucks.
Has anyone experienced both US and EU?

The Big Rig thread!

It's hilarious how the cab and engine cover together is like 3 times longer than an European truck cab. :lol:

I guess american trucks don't have bumper to bumper length restrictions. Every centimeter counts over here.

edit: you can also tell by the round diesel tanks that space between the axles isn't at a premium.

I think it might also have to do with frontal crash protection and ease of maintence. I'm just guessing, no real facts there.

Companies do make cabovers here (re: Freightliner Argosy), they just don't sell very many of them and the large reason is due to the reduced ride comfort. If the EU didn't have size restrictions you would probably see many drivers opt for a conventional tractor design.

Last edited:
Scania produced the T-series until ... god, can't really remember, like ten years ago. Though a .nl company is building these on order with the design of the current gen 7

this is how it looked:
Sortimentovoz-Scania-T-Series_1.jpg

I guess if it weren't for the length regulations, it wouldn't also be a matter of comfort, but also maneuverability/turning radius

I will just copy my post from THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD:

"Long noses offer greater comfort for the driver, US style sleeper cabs are alot bigger, which is very important for drivers that are away for a whole week (or even longer), furthermore since the cab is almost midway on the chassis and not above the front axle ride comfort greatly improves and it's an entirely different feeling when cornering, hard to explain but the lateral motion is alot less....alot nicer and less tyring to drive.

Downsides are a more imited alround visibility, which can be a problem in our cities (idiot pedestrians and cyclists), the extra lenght, which means a shorter trailer and the longer chassis on the tractor means a bigger turning circle, making them all but impossible to use in certain places and applications.

My personal opinion? If I was a longhauler away for the week and ignoring legal lenght issues I would no doubt want a US rig, probably woulden't get one since it's just not the way here, but would still want one :razz:

In the job I have now, wich requires constant squeezing into tight places never ment for trucks in the first place, from construction sites in the middle of a forest to the center of medieval cities and everything in between where visibility and a small turning circle is essential I prefer the COE I have now, it's all that would work really.

Ignoring all the boring practical shit and going by the coolness and beauty factor alone, well....I think you can guess where my heart is."

There ya go, except I'm not driving anymore.

Last edited:
Scania produced the T-series until ... god, can't really remember, like ten years ago. Though a .nl company is building these on order with the design of the current gen 7

this is how it looked:
Sortimentovoz-Scania-T-Series_1.jpg

I guess if it weren't for the length regulations, it wouldn't also be a matter of comfort, but also maneuverability/turning radius

Who was buying these when they were on the market?

I will just copy my post from THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD:

"Long noses offer greater comfort for the driver, US style sleeper cabs are alot bigger, which is very important for drivers that are away for a whole week (or even longer), furthermore since the cab is almost midway on the chassis and not above the front axle ride comfort greatly improves and it's an entirely different feeling when cornering, hard to explain but the lateral motion is alot less....alot nicer and less tyring to drive.

Downsides are a more imited alround visibility, which can be a problem in our cities (idiot pedestrians and cyclists), the extra lenght, which means a shorter trailer and the longer chassis on the tractor means a bigger turning circle, making them all but impossible to use in certain places and applications.

My personal opinion? If I was a longhauler away for the week and ignoring legal lenght issues I would no doubt want a US rig, probably woulden't get one since it's just not the way here, but would still want one :razz:

In the job I have now, wich requires constant squeezing into tight places never ment for trucks in the first place, from construction sites in the middle of a forest to the center of medieval cities and everything in between where visibility and a small turning circle is essential I prefer the COE I have now, it's all that would work really.

Ignoring all the boring practical shit and going by the coolness and beauty factor alone, well....I think you can guess where my heart is."

There ya go, except I'm not driving anymore.

There is one other thing that drives the long nose here. Fuel economy improvements are almost impossible to get out of a flat nose. Once the drivers realize how much more comfortable they are, they don't want to go back. And the manufacturers aren't willing to lose the aerodynamics by going to a cab over unless it is just for city use. Then it is still a rare site here.

Who was buying these when they were on the market?
They were used with very heavy cargo, so that the length handicap didn't matter because the cargo would exceed weight limitations before reaching the maximum volume possible with a cab-over anyway.

There is one other thing that drives the long nose here. Fuel economy improvements are almost impossible to get out of a flat nose. Once the drivers realize how much more comfortable they are, they don't want to go back. And the manufacturers aren't willing to lose the aerodynamics by going to a cab over unless it is just for city use. Then it is still a rare site here.
I've seen the grain haulers around here dragging the old cabovers out of the weeds. Shining them up and putting them into use again. Some of them look really good.