The BlackBerry Thread

devil500

Car(s)
'07 VW Rabbit 2.5 (Golf) MKV, PCR MXK8 Rotax Max
Seems a few of you guys and gals have a Blackberry so maybe we can help each other out and share some apps and other things.

Blackberry OS:

Bold 9000:
Latest OS:4.6.0.451/4.6.0.266

Curve 8900:
Latest OS: v4.6.1.231

Curve 83xx:
Latest OS:v4.5.0.124

*Feel free to add OS to the list just post them I'll try to update as fast as possible.

For install instruction to load any carrier 8900 OS on your BB:

1. Download desired OS to your PC
2. Install/run OS to PC
3. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it. (Much easier because the app loader is in the same spot as the .xml file.)
5. Do not unplug BB during the process. It may take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.
*Note there have been issues with Windows 7 Beta Users having issues upgrading OS! Your safest way to install is using Windows XP.

Web Browsing:
Bolt Browser Currently a Beta, but it's much faster than the standard Blackberry Browser and Opera Mini.

Last edited:
People need to stop putting "THE OFFICIAL FINALGEAR xxxxx" in their titles.. Its just a phone, therefore, it's just "The BlackBerry Thread".

The best app I have found has been Vlingo.. it allows me to text by merely talking to my phone, and since this is my first qwerty phone, trying to text while driving is super unsafe hahah

Whats the browser on the bold like?

I think it's the same as my curve's browser, but the Bolt browser you can download is just epic! Also I might add that there is a free instant messaging app that uses data, and not texts if you don't have unlimited texting look up instango well worth it.

I was looking at instango but then I remember I get 2500 sent texts and unlimited to a choice of 5 people on any carrier [that I can change once a month] lol

Not bad, but most of my texts are instant messages. Really depends on what you need.

I want the Bold sooo baaaadly!! However, since my phone is working just fine I'll have to be satisfied with modding it to look like a Bold :lol: Apparently there is a site that sells replacement trackballs and they have a black one that will fit my model, the 8320 :love: Waiting for a chance to have the patience to crack my phone open and switch several things out :)

A good IM program since the one that comes on the BB by default is crap in my opinion, is Beejive. Yes you have to pay for it, but it is well worth the price. Instago wasn't that good on my Curve which is why I went with Beejive. They do offer a trial before buying it.

Last edited:
People need to stop putting "THE OFFICIAL FINALGEAR xxxxx" in their titles..

Really? I was going to make "The Unofficial Final Gear Blackberry Thread".

Anyway, my dad has a Blackberry, and he HATES it. It really is a crap phone. Unfortunately, I don't know the model number, but I do know it is on TMobileUSA.

EDIT: I think it's this one:
blackberry-7105-g.jpg

Last edited:
I'd really like to just trial a Bold for 1 week or something to see if I can get used to it.

I still haven't made the leap of faith to a Blackberry because I love WM mobile phones so much.

I still haven't made the leap of faith to a Blackberry because I love WM mobile phones so much.
WM5 on my Moto Q scared me off of WM forever.

Really? I was going to make "The Unofficial Final Gear Blackberry Thread".

Anyway, my dad has a Blackberry, and he HATES it. It really is a crap phone. Unfortunately, I don't know the model number, but I do know it is on TMobileUSA.

EDIT: I think it's this one:
blackberry-7105-g.jpg

Dude that's like pre-historic now. The current gen Berries are great :)

I think that carriers allow people to trial a phone for like 14days to one month when you upgrade.

Dude that's like pre-historic now. The current gen Berries are great :)

Yeah, but unfortunately that is the device ?ber-cheap corporations still give their employees. :rolleyes:

Eh? It's not a trial period, but a 14 day return period. If you don't like the phone and or having problems with it, you have 14 days to return it without getting hit by fees. Guess you could look at it like a "trial" though. One nice thing about being in California is that we get 30 days to return the phone with no fees :lol:

WM is awful, just awful. I had a T-Mobile Wing before this, and trying to use ActiveSync (?) to backup my contacts to my computer failed horribly. It wiped my phone clean of all contacts. With the BlackBerry its VERY simple. Install the Desktop Manager program, plug in phone, sync and you're done.

BlackBerries ftw! :love:

I got an 8330 from my work [well I guess not technically my work as I am now contracted out to another company lol]... All I can say is, wow, such a drastic difference to my 8900 lol

WM5 on my Moto Q scared me off of WM forever.

Hmm, my WM experience began with WM5 on an iPaq RX1950 PDA, and I quiet like it.

Its definitely not an easy interface to use, but the features are there.

Might hold off on a new phone till WM7 is released.

The best app I have found has been Vlingo.. it allows me to text by merely talking to my phone, and since this is my first qwerty phone, trying to text while driving is super unsafe hahah

That's pretty funny, cause I just got a summer job doing tech support for an as-yet-undisclosed Blackberry app that does speech-to-text. I wonder...

Haha neat

I have found that if you are outside and it's windy out, it doesn't work very well lol... yet when I call someone, standing in the same location with the same wind, they can hear me fine... maybe the app doesn't filter noise out or something, iunno

Works great when driving though, only misses a couple words and if you speak slowly it rarely misses

Vlingo it is. If you use the "send feedback" function during the next half hour, you get a canned response hand-picked by yours truly.