The BlackBerry Thread

Unfortunately I opted out of insurance.

Also, it now seems that no matter how much I try the screen will not turn on anymore. It's completely useless now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I opted out of insurance.

Also, it now seems that no matter how much I try the screen will not turn on anymore. It's completely useless now.

It's a sign...it's trying to tell you to escape RIM's death spiral...:p

/runs

Take your shitty attitude elsewhere, lemming.

Anyway, eBay might be a good spot to look for a hold-me-over phone until OS 10 is released. :dunno:

Hopefully it will be able to be fixed though.

Yea I'll have a look around eBay if worst comes to worst, but I should have some time after work tomorrow to drop by my provider and see what they can do.

Edit: Visited them today, with no particular result. I have $250 on my phone balance remaining, so I'd have to payout that much + the cost of a new phone if I wanted to upgrade right now. Having said that, there are a number of $0 phones if I take another contract, and the other solutions aren't looking much better. The salesman said to fix it directly through them would cost about $180, which even he admitted just wasn't worth it. He said I should look for some smaller repair shops instead, even gave me an address for one. I'll see if I have time tomorrow to check them out and get a price.

However, I've also found a couple of BlackBerry's in good condition on kijiji, all around $100-$150. Depending on the repair cost, I might just get one of those.

Last edited:
Mine has now arrived. Still getting used to it, though I like it so far. Didn't get a manual with it - just phone and charger with a plug that only works in Singapore.

Little update on my situation: The repair prices were all looking to be about the same, so for just $20 more than the repair would've cost me, I picked up a used Torch 9810. BlackBerry 7! Well, so I thought anyways...

The phone was locked to a provider other than mine, I knew this from the start and figured I'd get it unlocked for free using some code generator software I've found. If the code didn't work, I'd just use one of the other 9 attempts available and buy one from a reputable site. But then I discovered that the phone I've bought no longer has any attempts remaining - the last owner used up all 10 unlock attempts. So the phone is now hardlocked and fixing this costs no less than $60, except that so far I haven't even been able to find a reputable site that is able to unlock specifically the 9810. I might contact the seller later but I doubt I'm going to get much from that frankly. Good grief...

Edit: Despite all this, I have to admit that the 9810 is a great phone. I've done some web browsing through WiFi and its infinetely better than my 9780! I really hope I can get this sorted out.

Last edited:
OS 7 is a whole different world when coming from an older device :lol: Imagine what OS 10 is going to be like.....

It seems like once you do get the Torch sorted it'll hold you over just fine until you do want to upgrade. Next month it'll be a year since I bought my Bold 9930 and it hasn't shown one ounce of aging. OS 7 is really very stable. I think you'll be happy with the Torch, its just as shame you have to go through all this bullshit to get it running.

Take your shitty attitude elsewhere, lemming.

Anyway, eBay might be a good spot to look for a hold-me-over phone until OS 10 is released. :dunno:

Hopefully it will be able to be fixed though.

:lol: Sorry, I couldnt resist.

TBH, i wouldnt mind using the latest Bold on VZW, just to see how 7 performs. :)

Things still aren't looking so good for my Torch. What I'm hearing from the vendors who unlock the hardlock is that RIM shut access to the system which unlocks them, except for a select few models (Under which my 9810 doesn't fall), as someone gained access who shouldn't have. No one knows when it'll be back, but some rumours suggest it might return in September. :|

I'm seeing if there are any other options, but if not then I'll try to get in touch with RIM themselves and see if they can do something for me. In any case, looks like it'll be a while before I have a working phone :wall:

Edit: RIM's support account on Twitter told me to get in touch with the provider that the phone is locked to. Not sure if they'll be able to do anything but I guess I'll give that a try.

Edit 2: A rep from the provider says that they can unlock it for $75, but I have no idea if the rep knows the difference between a locked phone and a hardlocked phone. Nevertheless, I might stop by one of their stores on Monday if I have time and see what they can do.

Last edited:
Definitely get to the store and see if they can unlock it. Its to the point now where just getting it done as soon as possible is the best route to take. Maybe bring some sort of proof of purchase with you in case they wonder if you're some lunatic that stole a phone.

Where did you get the Torch from? Was it eBay? If it was, I think the seller has to specify whether the phone is unlocked or not.

I got it from a local online classifieds, kijiji. The seller said the phone was locked, but they were either unaware that it was a hardlock or they didn't want to tell me.

Ah sorry, forgot you mentioned before it was from kijiji.

Ugh. If the seller said it was locked I guess that covers them on their end. I'm sure if you go to the store and explain your situation they can do it for you no problem. Good luck.

Have a beer for your troubles! :cheers:

I certainly hope they can. I don't mind the money at this point, I just want to get this over with. It's been a nightmare! Luckily I've found a store of theirs that should be working tomorrow, so maybe I'll stop by then instead.

Until then... I'll get working on that beer! :p

So I've finally solved the issue. Not quite the way I wanted however. I went to a whole bunch of different stores and providers, no one was able to get rid of the hardlock. Most people even thought it was impossible. Then my provider offered me to trade-in the two not-so-functioning phones I have right now, then pay whatever's left of my phone balance after that and just get a new Torch 9810. So I did that. It puts me on a new contract, which kind of sucks, but honestly I'm just glad to have a functioning phone now.

The stores are also saying they'll be discontinuing the Torch, which is a shame IMHO, but as a result there's a huge sale on accessories. I got an OtterBox case for $15 and a dock for another $15.

Oh, and this time I got the insurance. Just in case :p

So I've finally solved the issue. Not quite the way I wanted however. I went to a whole bunch of different stores and providers, no one was able to get rid of the hardlock. Most people even thought it was impossible. Then my provider offered me to trade-in the two not-so-functioning phones I have right now, then pay whatever's left of my phone balance after that and just get a new Torch 9810. So I did that. It puts me on a new contract, which kind of sucks, but honestly I'm just glad to have a functioning phone now.

The stores are also saying they'll be discontinuing the Torch, which is a shame IMHO, but as a result there's a huge sale on accessories. I got an OtterBox case for $15 and a dock for another $15.

That sucks...i like the torch. Honestly I thought it was cool. :/

There will be keyboard blackberries and touchscreen only ones too on BB 10. Let's hope there's room for a Torch 3.

Yea I'm really hoping BlackBerry 10 brings another iteration of the Torch, I really like mine. Aesthetically I'll admit it isn't the best package, but the functionality is great to have.

Well, you got a brand new device using OS 7. I guess you can call it even. How long is the new contract?

That's a good phone, I hope you enjoy it.

It's a 3-year, so I'll definitely miss the release of BB10, but this is plenty of phone for the time being. But if I really feel the urge to upgrade to BB10, I'll have more money by then so maybe I'll buy it without a contract and just stick my SIM card in. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If I run into any issues with my Torch though, insurance will have a new phone at my door within 24-48 hours, so there shouldn't be anymore problems like this time! :D

Anyone know of any North American BlackBerry users having issues with data? My data just went dead randomly about 30 minutes ago, I'm suspecting another server outage. My phone and text messaging still work.

Edit: Looks like it's just my phone, my friend reports that his data still works just fine on his Bold 9900. Tried a battery pull but it's still dead.

Edit 2: Wait, what the heck? My data services were disabled in my settings. :blink: It must have done it in my pocket... this thing is the worst pocket-dialer ever :p

Last edited:
This is late, sorry, but about two or three times in the past month I had that same problem on my 9930. One time was simply because I had data disabled somehow, like you. The other times it just came back on its own an hour or two after I noticed I had no data. :dunno: