• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

The blue devil (C6 Z06) does the ring in 7,40

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdanev

Forum Addict
From http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=216013

General Motors is hatching a plan to significantly raise the profile of its flagging Chevrolet brand, with a scorching supercharged 600bhp version of the new 7.0-litre V8 Corvette Z06.

Dubbed the ?blue devil? by GM insiders, and caught here setting an impressive 7min 40sec lap of the N?rburgring in the hands of Corvette?s Le Mans class-winning driver Jan Magnussen, the car will be positioned to take on some of the world?s most highly-respected supercars, according to General Motors? product guru, Bob Lutz. ?We?re going to do something beyond the Z06, at a much higher price point, and which would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars of the world,? Lutz told American motoring magazine AutoWeek.

That would be 1 second slower than the Koenigsegg CCR, which did 7:39. :)

Sounds like they wanna compete with the Viper more. Hopefully Dodge will release a higher performance model of the Viper. :twisted:

Jan Magnussen is my baby's daddy! :love: Go Danish people!

7L AND supercharged, and only 600bhp?

That's pathetic. What's it using for fuel, sugar? Still, an impressive time, and it's a nice looking thing.

the z06 is supercharged?!! never knew that but if thats true it is pathetic.. the japs can probably get 700hp from a vtec 7L engine :p anyways am pretty sure that time it got, which is very impressive, by eating the straight roads like nothing else!

Getting 600hp out of a 7L engine isn't that bad, it's still 85.7hp per liter. The E55 gets 87hp per liter. You can certainly get the sane amount of horsepower out of a NA engine, but they tend to have less torque then, also the engine needs to be a lot more modern, then this chevy V8. ;)

logo said:
the z06 is supercharged?!! never knew that but if thats true it is pathetic.. the japs can probably get 700hp from a vtec 7L engine :p anyways am pretty sure that time it got, which is very impressive, by eating the straight roads like nothing else!

that NEW ZO6 is supercharged the normal ZO6 is just a 7L V8 NA and makes only 500bhp and as much as it pains me (because i HATE HATE HATE corvette) the normal z06 handles pretty well for an american car sure it's not porsche 911 but they are not straight line only machines PLUS
the car will be positioned to take on some of the world?s most highly-respected supercars, according to General Motors? product guru, Bob Lutz. ?We?re going to do something beyond the Z06, at a much higher price point, and which would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars of the world,?

you can't do that without serious handling so i bet a bunch of the suspension technology they use for the racing car (which again as much as i hate to admit it does not suck) so we may see a production corvette that does not have leafsprings

but only an extra 100bhp by supercharging a 7L V8... must be really low pressure

TF

but only an extra 100bhp by supercharging a 7L V8... must be really low pressure
They emphasize low-RPM torque, which doesn't reflect a big change in horsepower, but has a huge impact on acceleration performance.

^^ that would make sense

kanderson said:
They emphasize low-RPM torque, which doesn't reflect a big change in horsepower, but has a huge impact on acceleration performance.
Exactly, it may only peak at 600 hp, but it's probably making at least 500 hp through most of the upper RPM range. Behold the fury that is a flat HP curve. :evil:

you can't do that without serious handling so i bet a bunch of the suspension technology they use for the racing car (which again as much as i hate to admit it does not suck) so we may see a production corvette that does not have leafsprings
It has serious handling, have you even seen the leaf spring (singular) on a vette. I fixed a flat tire on one and get to check it out, very impressive design. Don't know about the ride quality, but the performance is there.

I've always been a fan of the vette, it's one of the truely well designed American cars. My problem is the interior, it's so cheap and chintzy. It doesn't not feel like a $45K car. Would it kill them to spend a few grand on the interior?

It is NOT a Z06. It is a car that hopefully will compete with the European supercars. That is what GM is going after.

Lets be honest, they can't compete until they sort out that interior, PERIOD.

Skett said:

That's a whole other story alltogether...:lol:

Skett said:

lol, agreed. GM seriously needs to get their quality control in line if they want to sell to their target audience (100k+ USD) Chances are their customer base will look at something besides the price tag and butt dyno appeal.

GraemeH said:
7L AND supercharged, and only 600bhp?

That's pathetic. What's it using for fuel, sugar? Still, an impressive time, and it's a nice looking thing.

What do you expect? It's a pushrod engine. The real beauty in the design is not the hp/l figures but the size which is probably about 2/3 the size of an equivalent 7 L engine with all of the torque available from the beginning and good fuel economy to boot (28 mpg).

motor-4.6-4V-004.jpg

see what I mean about size? 2 engines, roughly the same displacement.

As long as it fits in the engine bay and does it's job

Gophermuncher said:
another pic
bluedev.jpg

WOW :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

I can't wait till they get one near the Chevy dealer nearby, I am going to go there and drool on it. :lol:

I checked out the C6 the other day, it was on the stand thing, so I got underneath the car, its so clean and modern. So awesome. C6 = Own.

Awesome pic Gophermuncher, that's a great comparison of the engines 8)

40 mpg from a 6.0 litre V8 is pretty imressive :)

And that blue devil owns.

The "blue devil", why do they have to give such korn nicknames to everything. Ok, I did that too but then again I was then 12 years old.

Gophermuncher said:
What do you expect? It's a pushrod engine. The real beauty in the design is not the hp/l figures but the size which is probably about 2/3 the size of an equivalent 7 L engine with all of the torque available from the beginning and good fuel economy to boot (28 mpg).

motor-4.6-4V-004.jpg

see what I mean about size? 2 engines, roughly the same displacement.

As long as it fits in the engine bay and does it's job

Space and fuel economy, sounds great, if you were buying a family saloon or a small hatchback. They're building a car to "compete with worldclass supercars", who cares about size or fuel economy? A similar thing could be said to the trade off of peak power for flat torque; a flat torque band is great for a highway cruiser, but a supercar? It's built to be hammered flat out, not overtake in 5th gear from 50mph easily.

Anyways like i said, impressive time and it looks gorgeous, the first american car i've used that word to describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.