The Bourbon (and other whiskeys) Thread

I'm going to crack open my bottle of Blanton's in two weeks, I'll post back with my impressions.
Interesting bourbon. The nose makes you think it's 120 proof when it's not - nothing interesting. The taste is a bit all over the place - keeps going back and forth between strong alcohol and the rich deep sweetness that you expect from a good bourbon. It's a bit strange but in the end you end up spending several minutes processing the complex notes that remain on your tongue and gums. Quite enjoyable!

I am not a bourbon or whiskey guy but my sister had me try Jamesons Stout and it was pretty good.

The picture is her whiskey/bourbon cabinet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 133
I am not a bourbon or whiskey guy but my sister had me try Jamesons Stout and it was pretty good.

The picture is her whiskey/bourbon cabinet.

Your sister has good taste!

In other news, my Dad was able to find three bottles up in CT that are hard to find here in Florida, so in a week, I'll be adding a bottle of Blanton's, Weller Antique 107, and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B19 batch in my hands. Right now, I'm sipping on some Whistlepig Piggyback (felt like something sweeter after starting with some Woodford Double-Oaked, but I'll finish up with some Eagle Rare.

I was able to get a barrel select of the Woodford Double-Oaked for my dad as a surprise; he really likes the bitter and coffee notes.

I have some Nikka Coffey Grain and Hibiki in my near future, aka tonight.

Haven't had any Kikori in a while, though, even though it's effectively my favorite. Moto trip to the liquor store might be in order.

Ooh, looking forward to your thoughts on the hibiki and the coffey. We've finished both of ours :)sadpanda:).

Ooh, looking forward to your thoughts on the hibiki and the coffey. We've finished both of ours :)sadpanda:).

Oh, I've had and love all three I mentioned.

Oh gotcha!!

Oh speaking of which, is it me, or as Blanton's been really hard to come by this year? I've not been the most vigilant about shipments as I should be, but I swear, anytime a store gets a shipment, the bottles are all sold out within two hours of opening. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Any thoughts on Kavalan? I’ve been curious about it for some time, but never bought any because my current inventory is going to last me for years.

Oh gotcha!!

Oh speaking of which, is it me, or as Blanton's been really hard to come by this year? I've not been the most vigilant about shipments as I should be, but I swear, anytime a store gets a shipment, the bottles are all sold out within two hours of opening. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
Yep, not very easy to find Blanton's. To be honest though I find it just ok so I don't go out of my way looking for it.

Any thoughts on Kavalan? I’ve been curious about it for some time, but never bought any because my current inventory is going to last me for years.

Ooh, highly recommend the Kavalan. We've had their King Car Conductor, Solist, Concertmaster etc. I usually go for anything in their sherry oak.

Yep, not very easy to find Blanton's. To be honest though I find it just ok so I don't go out of my way looking for it.

Cool! Ugh, I'm not sure if it's a marketing ploy, but I've been needing to replace our bottle. I have not been able to find it easily but I wasn't sure if it was the same outside the state. *cue angry panda noises*

Because life is strange right now, I found myself inside my local Walmart right when they opened up yesterday morning and I came home with a bottle of Maker's Mark and Evan Williams. Maker's has become my new favorite whiskey, replacing Devil's Cut, and I think it's because they use wheat instead of rye in their mash bill. I know a lot of people like what rye brings to the table but I'm just not a fan of it, I find Maker's to be much much smoother. I wanted to try Larceny because they're one of the few other wheated bourbons I can get around here but they didn't have any.

Also the bottle had been double dipped in wax, red and blue, not sure what that's all about.

I haven't had Evan Williams before but I didn't buy it with the intention of really drinking it, it's for cooking. I've tried adding a shot to the batter when I'm making fried chicken and I really really like the results. But I'm not using more good whiskey on something like that, bottle shelf stuff will do.

Thin Lizzy whiskey in the jar-o. Well, it really comes in a bottle.

Is it any good? Who knows, I just thought I should share that it exists.

I can’t say I’ve heard much about it.

I have gotten a few upgrades to my bar lately. A couple of bottles of Bib & Tucker 12-year, a bottle of Elijah Craig 18-year, and one of my groomswomen got me a beautiful Blanton’s display board, complete with resting spots for the various stoppers :) I also have an almost gone bottle of Old Forrester 1920 that I will only drink on my wedding anniversary, because it was the bottle we all drank in my ready room before I got married. That said, it’s a stellar purchase and I can routinely find it for the MSRP of $50.

My post-wedding bachelor party is going to be at the Bourbon Trail, so I’ll be able to resupply on stuff like Eagle Rare.

This baby has been sitting on my shelf unopened for well over a year now. The reason I haven't cracked it open is because my brother sent it to me for xmas 21' and I made a vow that I won't until the next time I see him in person. It's a 1.5l bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch.

Whiskey River.jpg

I've never had anything from them before, in fact I'm not sure I've even bought any whisky in the last 2 years.

Someone obviously needs to try an Elijah Craig and a Blanton's back to back. Because reasons.

This baby has been sitting on my shelf unopened for well over a year now. The reason I haven't cracked it open is because my brother sent it to me for xmas 21' and I made a vow that I won't until the next time I see him in person. It's a 1.5l bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch.

View attachment 3569283
I've never had anything from them before, in fact I'm not sure I've even bought any whisky in the last 2 years.
I have one of these, as yet unopened.