The Bugatti Veyron is a (insert nationality here) car?

The Bugatti Veyron is a (insert nationality here) car?

• Total voters
Not to be pedantic, but a look at a Veyron's VIN would answer this question once and for all.

http://img147.imageshack.**/img147/8426/p031webiq0.jpg

Since it begins with VF, which is the World Manufacturer Identifier code for France, it is legally a French car.

Not to be pedantic, but a look at a Veyron's VIN would answer this question once and for all.

http://img147.imageshack.**/img147/8426/p031webiq0.jpg

Since it begins with VF, which is the World Manufacturer Identifier code for France, it is legally a French car.
That's a nice approach. I wouldn't be so fast with calling it German either. As BlaRo already pointed out, the fact that a german company owns a french company and its name doesn't mean that the french one suddenly becomes german. Therefore, I understand Bugatti as a french manufacturer, even if Ettore was an italian, the soil where the company was founded was german at the time, and it is owned by a german company today.

If it were South African, then the brakes would be stuffed after one big stop, just like Golfs, Focus's and Corollas. Not the kind of thing you want on a supercar :p

No, it's from Vichy France - pretends to be French, but it's really German.

Ill go along with that

The French would'v given up long ago and changed its shape to make it easier to get to top speed. Also, presumably everything on it works so its clearly not Italian.

I really would like to claim it as German ... I really would ... but I see it more as a European Car, like I don?t see Seats or Skodas German Cars, even if they are owned by VW and they are 95% identrical to VW?s cars. The Name and the heritage is Italian. The Concept (midengined hypercar) is italian. It?s build in France. Most of it?s engineering comes from Germany and Great Britan. If you want to call it anything, it?s european. But I do think the Times where you could lable Cars (and a lot of other products as well) to have a certain "nationality" are at an End.

Bugatti was started in Germany and is now owned by the Germans. The only claim France has is that they moved the borders a bit after a mild scuffle.

I voted German. I know that Bugatti are French, but since when would a car like the Veyron work so well if it was made by those garlic eaters? Its the Germans again.

I'd just say it's European. The finest automobile from a collaboration of car-loving nations.

If Airbus made a car the Veyron would be it. I went for Germany because the car seems to lack the passion of Italian cars and it's not as quirky as French cars tend to be. It's fast and civilized, like a BMW or Mercedes.

You could argue that the company is traditionally French, but that the car (Veyron) is mainly German. But I still reckon it's French.

Bugatti was started by a Italian and was never intentionally French in any way, i believe the headquarters have been in France for some time, but only because the borders kept moving around during the WWI or something.

Last edited:
French. You wouldn't consider Lamborghini, Bentley, Seat and Skoda as German companies and the same goes for Bugatti in my opinion. I still don't understand how people get the idea that it might be an Italian company just because the founder was Italian.

Bugatti was started by a Italian and was never intentionally French in any way, i believe the headquarters have been in France for some time, but only because the borders kept moving around during the WWI or something.

How do you mean "never intentionally French"? The factory was in France (Molsheim, which was French territory from 1919-1940 and 1945 to present), they painted the cars in French blue, the original factory was called Automobiles Bugatti ... how French do you want them to be?

the name isnt german,

but the engineering and philosphies behind it clearly are.

its a german car, the only thing not german about it is the name.