The Cape (TV)

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
Anyone else planning on watching the pilot for this tomorro? After watching a whole bunch of the trailers it looks awesome enough to deserve a thread methinks.

At first, I was skeptical of another superhero show on NBC, but this one looks pretty fun and badass. And, unlike that other superhero which shall not be named, this one appears to have a good story with a clear direction. If this is good enough, I might even forgive NBC for that other superhero show which shall not be named.

Also, it has Summer Glau. That's always a good thing. Trailer:

This looks okay, (and yes, Summer Glau) but I get the feeling that it'll be canceled pretty much straight away.

It seems like it's trying to hard. The script writing seems stiff and awkward, too.

"You just don't give up, do you?"
"It's my most-annoying feature."

What?

Almost anything would have been better:
"I know. Annoying, isn't it?"
"It's my most-annoying trait."

"Feature" was just an odd word.

Are you serious? When I was watching the trailer, it looked as if it was a youtube short made by fans who were making a batman/superhero parody; the way they took themselves way too seriously and the over-the-top dialogue. Something like this: Minesweeper trailer. The intro is quite pathetic too; yup you read graphic novels to your kid before they go to bed. Also, the Cape? That's just not trying hard. AND, his whole motivation for becoming a superhero is to show his kid that he didn't do bad things? *facepalm*

Ohhh my what a terrible show....made it through the first ~15 minutes then I just couldn't take it anymore.

Bear McCreary music, and an SLS in the promo spots. If they could make a show with just these two things, I'd be kind of...fine with it.

My Impression: Its very comic book cheesy, and it knows it, but that still doesn't make a good show. I don't understand why the bad guy would keep dressing up like "Chess" after "Chess" died in an explosion instead of coming up with a new fake bad guy. I'm guessing that Summer Glau's character is "Chess"'s daughter. Also, from the second episodes, loads of places have private prisons now, so it'd be a lot easier to privatize those than the entire friggin police force. Whatever.

Nice try NBC, but come back next year. At least this was better than The Event. I'd have at least stayed interested if you'd cast someone interesting as the superhero, but this guy is blander than Tom Welling.

Oh, and I was excited to watch this show when I heard the concept, but not after I saw the trailer. I thought it was gonna be a lot less comic book styled, and more like Psych or something.

Last edited:
Kind of reminds me of "The Flash" TV series from 1990, only without Danny Elfman's theme song and the cool costume.

I'm waiting for the episode where the publishers of "The Cape" take Vince to court for copyright infringement.

Well... that wasn't very good. Awkward dialog and dialog that makes no sense, hero is more of an angsty turd than anything. Every scene felt like a direct copy from the comics (I've never read the comics, they just felt like a frame for frame adaptation which is not a good thing). And what happened to the L-9 on the boat? Aint no one around to do anything about it, it was all still sitting there, why didn't The Killer Cuttlefish Chess just come back later to blow it up? I'll give er one more episode and then decide, probably not going to watch it after that, every other show will be back on anyways. Too much TV!

Every scene felt like a direct copy from the comics (I've never read the comics, they just felt like a frame for frame adaptation which is not a good thing).

Correct me if I'm wrong... isn't it an original story? Which kinda sums up the whole thing.

One more thing to add: I really want an SLS.

:idiot:

I could've sworned I heard it was based on a comic. In any case, it feels like it's written more like a comic book than a TV show, it's just awkward.

Ohhh my what a terrible show....made it through the first ~15 minutes then I just couldn't take it anymore.

Same, tried it on Hulu but this was just terrible. Terrible, cheesy acting (even though some of the actors are good, ie. Keith David and James Frain) and what felt like a really rushed pilot. It felt just too "family-friendly" for a comic book revenge story, altho what can you expect from NBC.

What really needs to be done is to turn Preacher into a TV Show (altho I could only see this working on HBO, maybe showtime).

just been watching the first episode... dear god, how can a show be this bad? some shows even if the pilot is bad i'm willing to give it a go but there are so many plot holes in it that even Superman would have trouble jumping past them. I get the feeling that not only will i not be watching, but i'll be avoiding it like the plague.

Bear McCreary music, and an SLS in the promo spots. If they could make a show with just these two things, I'd be kind of...fine with it.

I don't think they could make a show with just those two things, but it'd be a pretty sweet Mercedes ad campaign.

What really needs to be done is to turn Preacher into a TV Show (altho I could only see this working on HBO, maybe showtime).

No, no, a million times no. And I say this as a fan of Preacher. Considering the subject matter, no network would take on the series without seriously watering down the storyline. And they'd still get hit with protests and boycotts by groups like Focus on The Family.

Anyway, back to The Cape - yeah, it was pretty bad. A lot of things that didn't make sense - like, how can you hypnotize people when they're not even looking at you? And ARK never deactivated Vince's key card after they set him up and tried to kill him? And yeah, you want to have a little person on your crew when you're robbing banks - because there are so many little people with criminal records that the police couldn't possibly narrow the list of suspects down. Oh, and if you're trying to keep your identity secret, don't rely on just a hood. He really needs a domino mask or something.

One good line, though: after The Cape stops an attempted robbery - doing $3000 dollars worth of damage to stop people from stealing maybe $500 - the owner/cashier asks, "What do they call you?"
"The Cape."
"The Cape? Well - you'll work on it."

No, no, a million times no. And I say this as a fan of Preacher. Considering the subject matter, no network would take on the series without seriously watering down the storyline. And they'd still get hit with protests and boycotts by groups like Focus on The Family.

Well, Preacher is never going to work properly in a film format (look at what they did to Watchmen), so television would be the best bet here. Yes I get the arguments about it NEVER getting it adapted, but I'd rather see them try and fail/semi-success than see nothing at all.

I concede and expect that there will be significant reactions to it, but I think that someone like HBO can see past that.

Last edited: