The car cleaning thread

I meant letting dirt sit on it, the mud traps moisture which will dissolve your car, especially on the undercarriage. Not a huge problem in summer, but in winter it traps salt up against the body work too...

When I was looking at getting a Dolomite the owners club suggested I cleaned the underside of the car whenever I washed the body (at least fortnightly) if I wanted to avoid having it welded yearly. You own an elderly FIAT, one of few cars that could out rust a BL car. :lol:

He's galvanised, and solid underneath. The door issue might be getting sorted. I tried to be subtle twice, but ok... can you take a car thats just been waxed to the *bodyshop? :D

*Maybe, haven't decided yet.

I have a few questions regarding car cleaning products:
Which claybar manufacturer would you suggest?
Which type of polish/which manufacturer?
Which type of wax/which manufacturer?
Oh... and what to treat the rubber parts with (door seals)?
:)

Last edited:
I have a few questions regarding car cleaning products:
Which claybar manufacturer would you suggest?
Which type of polish/which manufacturer?
Which type of wax/which manufacturer?
Oh... and what to treat the rubber parts with (door seals)?
:)

I'm not sure about the others since a lot has to do with personal preference, but for the rubber parts of your car I highly recommend a product called 303 Aerospace. It protects rubber, vinyl, plastics, and basically anything synthetic really well. I put some on my friends old car it was almost like lotion on chapped skin.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Aerospace-Protectant-16-oz/dp/B004MAOEKG

I just bought some terrible ebay Hong Kong clay, be here in 1-2 weeks.
*A quick Google says "It's great!!!" :|

I had a small accident on one detailing web shop and the amount of products was pretty great, but so was the price too. But now I should have enough stuff to detail the Mazda and the Peugeot and keep them looking nice. I'll post pictures of the process when I've enough time to do the detailing.

I had a small accident on one detailing web shop and the amount of products was pretty great, but so was the price too. But now I should have enough stuff to detail the Mazda and the Peugeot and keep them looking nice. I'll post pictures of the process when I've enough time to do the detailing.

LOL there was a sale on a US detailing shop this past week...everything was 15% off plus free shipping. went overboard and ordered $300 worth of stuff :(

So the plan
Rinse
Wash
Dry
Clay
Wash
Dry
Wax

I'm hoping to get rid of the random red overspray.

I haven't had enough time to start properly doing anything, but at least I've found my favorite fluid that isn't beer or coffee: Bilthamber Surfex HD. So far strongish 1:5 mixture has been able to clean everything I've tried, including super dusty wheels of my Mazda.

Ok clay bars are fucking amazing.
I did the cheap homemade clay lube, of water and car shampoo in a bottle. Which because I used a shampoo with wax in it (you're not supposed to) it eventually broke apart and it ended in the bin, but it was cheap and I cut it into thirds, so it's ok.

The overspray vanished. I'm talking real overspray, 3 inches of joined up paint.

Yeah, clay is pretty cool.
It's strange how it isn't more widely used.

I think it's the effort. All the car people I know clay, just Joe Public can't be bothered. Would rather chuck a bottle of gunky 'instant shine' over his car and forget about it. I've tried to convince my friends "Feel my car! Feel the smooth!" but they don't seem to care. :lol:

I think it's the effort. All the car people I know clay, just Joe Public can't be bothered. Would rather chuck a bottle of gunky 'instant shine' over his car and forget about it. I've tried to convince my friends "Feel my car! Feel the smooth!" but they don't seem to care. :lol:

I'm in the latter boat myself. It's less time consuming to just wash the car and be done with it.

Of course, the only car with paint probably worth claying would have been the Failturn and we all know how shit that car was.

The Taurus has great paint too except on the hood..i'd consider repainting if I had the money but oh well.

I just polished some paint first time ever. I would've never believed so much deeper red was possible to restore on my 406s hood. Instead of almost violet hue behind the grayish layer of clearcoat full of swirls it's now back to the warm, almost orangish, deep red with only some random deep scratches on it. I'll post some 50/50 shots and other information that might interest to everybody who have never done anything other than waxin and claying.

Finally washed my grandmothers Grand Marquis. Holy shit that water was dirty. It's so damn bright now, the car is white.

I used my usual Black Magic Wet Shine, works really well. Now I just need to get into that interior, I at least washed the steering as that was disgustingly spotted with dirt and other random shit. Her solution to washing stuff is vinegar which, doesn't really work that well...

Anyone have any experience with persistent rain spots? For reference, this is the cellouse Anglia, has had a cut, polish with SRP and about 4 layers of AG HD Wax. Took it to a show on Sunday where there was a weird mix of sunshine and rain, I tried to dry it off, but unfortunately during lunch it rained while I was away from the car leaving the water to stand beading with direct sunlight for a while. The result is lots of discoloured water spots on the flat areas of the car. I know I should be able to cut them out, but don't really want to go through with that if I can avoid it, because it would mean I have to start waxing all over again....

I think it's the effort. All the car people I know clay, just Joe Public can't be bothered.

I haven't bothered with clay because the Kangoo isn't really worth it. And it also goes against the entire principle of the car :p I'll get going once I get a decent car.

Anyone have any experience with persistent rain spots? For reference, this is the cellouse Anglia, has had a cut, polish with SRP and about 4 layers of AG HD Wax. Took it to a show on Sunday where there was a weird mix of sunshine and rain, I tried to dry it off, but unfortunately during lunch it rained while I was away from the car leaving the water to stand beading with direct sunlight for a while. The result is lots of discoloured water spots on the flat areas of the car. I know I should be able to cut them out, but don't really want to go through with that if I can avoid it, because it would mean I have to start waxing all over again....

Spray wax might be an easy enough solution.