The car cleaning thread

Careful though, Goo Gone is not safe on paint, unless you clean it right away. Also, make sure that you keep it away from plastic parts.

Oh? I read a bunch of different forums' threads saying that Goo Gone Spray Gel is fine on auto paint. I wiped it off with a terry cloth and rinsed all the areas with water afterwards so it should be fine.

I sprayed gunk on my engine. Some Mudwasp nests fell out. I will snap a pic once I get back in town.

Ok so before I open a new thread, I think it's better to hi-jack this one.

I need advice on what people use for cleaning their cars - paint, windows, seats, dashboard.
I literally have no idea on it what so ever.

Anything that someone would recommend? I am currently looking into some good polishing and for some seat/cloth cleaning supplies. Especially the latter should be profound for some thorough cleaning.

Problem is I really don't know what's good and what's just cheap and bad - googling tells me so many products and so many good and negative experiences, I don't know what to believe.

I've had good luck with both black magics wash, interior and tire shine products. Blue magic's leather products on the Mustangs seats brings out their natural look. It may take a few applications to get the stuff to work if it's been a while since you last did something to the seats.

With polishing and stuff you should really have some hands-on training from someone who really knows his stuff. Otherwise it?s very difficult and the learning curve will look a bit different. Sorry, but I simply cannot be bothered to write everything about polishing a car on here as it would take a couple of days.

Here you have two very nice articles to read depending on which kind of a machine you have (or want to buy)
Machine Polishing by rotary
Machine Polishing by dual action
The products mentioned in the post are old (some of them are not even available anymore) but nothing wrong with them. There are also some "new" players on the market such as Nanolex and Scholl who make very good polishes and pads as well...

There are many, many good products for interior cleaning. With leathers you can simply use marseille soap with a very gentle brush and then wipe the leathers clean with a moist cotton cloth. Then keep on wiping them with a moist cotton cloth every now and then to keep them clean form dust and sand. You can protect them after the cleaning if you want to, but make sure you never use a oily/creamy product that leaves any kind of residue on the seats, because that attracts dirt and ruins the seats.

Detailing World is a good place to find out more, if you remember to take every (or at least most of them) post with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Check out ammonyc's YouTube for car cleaning. Some of his practices may be overkill for the common people but you get a good idea of how to do things.

Meh I just run it through the touch free wash.

I should vacuum the interior though.

Met a professional detailer at the Super Bowl thing I was at last night. Tried to sell me on his detailing services for the Mustang, but after I managed to convince him that I wasn't in the market I was able to have a pretty decent chat about car care with him. Mentioned how I have nowhere to wash my car because my apartment doesn't have hoses (technically they don't even allow washing cars) and he suggested I look at the Ammo NYC Hoseless wash kit. It actually looks pretty great. I think I'm going to buy it and give it a try this summer. https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/

Last edited:
I've been watching Larry's videos for a while now and the AMMO stuff does look good, I was even tempted to import some of those products until I saw sense.

I just need to get my hands on a proper pressure washer to clean the undersides of the Land Rovers. I left salt lingering for far too long last year and as a result Bugsy needed a small amount of welding on the chassis.

For those who are into detailing, Makita finally have a cordless version of their polisher. You can't seem to buy it yet and it's listed on their NZ website only but here it is:

DPO600Z-L.jpg

https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/DPO600

I also found the instruction manual, dated 27th December 2018.

http://www.makita-groupe.fr/notices/NOTICE_DPO600.pdf

Edit: And page 49 of the 2019 catalogue:

https://www.makita.com.hk/upload/product_catalog/8/file_en/5c5797cc1a950.pdf

I'll be keeping a close eye on this, I've invested heavily in the LXT range and fancy a polisher so would like to add this to my collection.

As an aside, I grabbed myself a new pressure washer last month with an angle attachment, foam gun and surface cleaner, was great first time but I've also ordered a longer high-pressure hose as it's too short really.

Last edited:
I ordered a foam cannon the other day, and it arrived today. I washed everything. It was so damned fun. Highly recomended.

Side note - anyone have any suggestions for making touch-up paint blend into the factory paint?