The car Ferrari should have raced (no 56k)

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Saab 900 Turbo
I was inspired by C53A_4G63T's thread on the BMW M8 prototype here, so I decided to look into the beast that Ferrari could have raced, the Ferrari F50 GT.

From Ultimatecarpage.com...
592-6.jpg

The GT racing class was first created in the mid 1950s and was subsequently dominated by Ferrari for the first decade of its existence. With the carefully constructed and prepared 250 GTs Ferrrari supplied their customers with instant winners. Ferrari built the last GT-car in 1965, after which customers had to modify Ferrari road cars to race. The most successful of these were the Daytona Competizione and F40 GT, which both had some backdoor support from the works.

At the end of 1993 sportscar racing was turned upside down, with new regulations much favoring GT cars. A new GT1 class was created to replace the Group C cars. At least 25 examples of a car had to be produced for it to be homologated. Ferrari privateers relied on the F40 GTE, which was based on the road going F40, introduced in 1987. New cars like the McLaren F1 GTR and the Porsche 911 GT1 left the 'old F40' obsolete.

592-1.jpg

With the GT1 cars very much in contention for the overall victory at Le Mans, Ferrari started work on the first factory built and prepared GT-racer in thirty years. Ferrari called in the help of Michelotto, who were also involved in the construction of the F40 GT cars and the 333 SP prototype racer. The new car was based on the F50 supercar launched in 1995, which was built in enough numbers to secure homologation of the F50 GT.

592-3.jpg

Described as an F1 racer for the streets, the F50 already incorporated many racing car design features. Outwardly the F50 GT was easily recognizable through its altered nose and rear wing. Like the road going V12, the GT's engine displaced exactly 4.7 litres, but it was extensively modified to produce 750 bhp, an increase of well over 200 bhp. The engineers put the F50 on a strict diet, resulting in a 400 kg weight loss for the racer.

592-5.jpg

Ferrari test driver Nicola Larini extensively tested the first car built on Ferrari's private Fiorano test track in September of 1996. The F50 GT's out of the box pace was quite impressive, with Larini clocking faster lap times than the 333 SP prototype racer. This has however remained as the F50 GTs sole career highlight, as Ferrari pulled the plug on the project soon after the first tests were completed.

It is not entirely clear why Ferrari backed out of the project, but it was most likely a combination of factors. Most of Ferrari's resources were spent on winning the Formula 1 World Championship, leaving little for the further development of the F50 GT. A slight change in the rules signaled the arrival of the purpose built racers from Porsche, Mercedes Benz and Toyota meant that a lot more resources would have been required to get the F50 GT competitive.

592-11.jpg

The sole completed car was sold to an American collector and two more were constructed for two prominent Ferrari clients. All three cars were sold under the condition that they were never to be raced in anger. Three further tubs were constructed, but according to Ferrari these were later destroyed.

I've never known about this car before, so its specs blew me away. 2005lb weight, 760bhp at 10,500RPM. 234mph top speed, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Maddening, that's almost Veyron-quick at half the weight. They only built 3, so it's safe to say that they're priceless.

What do you think? :D

Wow... quite a car.

Why is it, well around here at least, most people prefer the F40 and Enzo but dispise the F50??

Salar said:
I knew about it.

There are ONLY 3 built. None of them EVER raced. They're full of problems.
actually, from what i've heard, owners were told not to race them.

Yep.

Brake and steering problems. I saw pictures of a crashed one on net, it was on Laguna Seca (California). Car was not wrecked, but still some damages to front.

This model of F50 sounds just like an unfinished project.

Salar said:
Yep.

Brake and steering problems. I saw pictures of a crashed one on net, it was on Laguna Seca (California). Car was not wrecked, but still some damages to front.

thats basically what it is. its kinda similar to the FXX now that i think about it.

and when one owner tried (the car in your picture) to do it al laguna seca, he did 1 million+ USD in damages. And he'd just had it restored from a similar previous crash.

Salar said:
Yes it does. Maybe because it is...

Ferrari pulled the plug on the project soon after the first tests were completed.

Ouch.

Personally, I'm super happy they've made an Enzo race car. It's a nice way to continue the tradition. :)

^ problem is that the FXX isnt road legal, or race legal. its basically a test car for things they are gonna do in the future. I wish they'd do what they'd have to to convert it into road use. Ferrari is starting to gain a sanitized image, this would cure that in a second

Jacobfox said:
and when one owner tried (the car in your picture) to do it al laguna seca, he did 1 million+ USD in damages. And he'd just had it restored from a similar previous crash.
Yeah. I didn't know about that price though.

One F50 GT as I recall was for sale a while back, in U.K.

One is in California, and I'm not sure about the other one, maybe Japan.

Is the best car you can get in PGR3 on 360, arguably of course. :p

Salar said:
I knew about it.

There are ONLY 3 built. None of them EVER raced. They're full of problems.

There's a thread with a picture of a truck full of ferrari's. The F50 on that picture is one of them (didn't know about the quantity though)

Edit: This thread, and it has been mentioned there already.

There's one F50GT somewhere in the west US i suppose, i remember someone had taken some pics when it was being sound tested etc for Xbox's forza motorsport ~1,5 years ago at the shop he worked at. I saw those pics at some forum, saved them, could probably upload those on imageshack soon. That car could be the one crashed in laguna seca though.

http://img487.imageshack.**/my.php?image=f50gt6av.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.**/my.php?image=f50gt10xe.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.**/my.php?image=f50gt23ku.jpg

I wish they had continued with the program and built more just because of how gorgeous they are. Much better than the F50 in my opinion.

http://img487.imageshack.**/img487/2215/f50gt6av.jpg

couldn't they just cut off the front, so the car starts at the front wheels, no overhang, would look so cool :mrgreen:

Yay! I inspired someone.

Anyway, the F50gt is visual sex at it's best. It looks super agressive while not looking rediculous. I say they deffinatly should have raced it. Would make an awesome sight flying next to a McLaren.

This is another one of my "If i was rich enough, I would drive it on the street" cars.