The celebrity situation... it's getting worse

Alkusoittow

Car(s)
05 Legacy GT LTD
Probably the most commonly held criticism of any form of Top Gear has been the SIARPC/SIARFC/SIA___ segment. This seems to be a common theme regardless of the format, country, presenters, or track. While I think the new iteration of Top Gear is a massive improvement over last year's disaster, I have to say that the celebrity content has actually gotten worse, and worse even in this current series. In my opinion (and I think I speak for many fans when I say this) there was already too much time devoted to the celebrity interview.

Now, this series has interview, training video, maybe a crash video, the lap segment, and a few more minutes of general comments when the celebrity is expected to contribute something about the relevance of robotic racing in the 21st century (or whatever). It's gotten bad. In general, I could care less what non-car-enthusiasts think about automotive news or developments. Episode 5 seemed to stretch rather uncomfortably as if they were filling air time...

My ask of you is this: If you are on the BBC Worldwide Fan Panel, PLEASE fill out the surveys and make sure they know how you feel about the celebrity interviews and segments.

If you are not on the panel, SIGN UP!

Apparently the staff/execs at the BBC are deaf to this predicament, and we need to work together to change it. :shakefist:

i don't have a single problem with the celebrity segment
i'm enjoying every single moment of the new series

Dude, if you really want to do something to make a difference to this world then get off your arse and do something about it. Pay a visit to a lonely old person, donate some food to your local homeless shelter, coach Little League or something.

Getting butthurt over a guest slot on a TV show really isn't a great use of your time and energy, let alone everyone else's.

I think the current format is pretty good. Yes, I miss the one-on-one chat show format of the CHM years, but in general this is a far better use of a guest's - and the show's - time than last season when they read each other's latest press release off a teleprompter.

Reactions: MWF
Yes, while not perfect, this season's format is a hell of a lot better than last season's. I don't hate it either.

in general this is a far better use of a guest's - and the show's - time than last season
That's how I feel too. I may not watch it all every time, but they do have more fun, including the bowling segment from today's episode.

The only thing I miss from the CHM years is a news segment. They do a little more of that in Extra Gear, but still not enough for my liking. (thugh if it felt heavily scripted like a lot of the other studio stuff, maybe I wouldn't be fussy for it anyway...)

The only thing I miss from the CHM years is a news segment. They do a little more of that in Extra Gear, but still not enough for my liking. (thugh if it felt heavily scripted like a lot of the other studio stuff, maybe I wouldn't be fussy for it anyway...)

The scripting got to be a problem.

It's okay to have bullet points, but not a word-for-word pre-planned joke or staged laugh. That got really irritating and must be avoided at ALL costs. So, in comparison the current guest format works in a relaxed, casual chat kind of way and once Matt settles into that role I think it will come together. The guest segment will work well together with news.

the thing i'm missing, is some technical info
bhp, torque, weight, ... if matt does the review, you're lucky he mentions the number of cylinders

the format is ok to me... glad they are doing something with them. The problem is that its only ever as good as the guest.. some are good.. Ross Noble Chris Hoy for example... but most are at best ok. That means that if they are not good then you are stuck with them for a long part of the show and will affect your overall enjoyment

I don't have any problems with the guest segment. They got it right this season, and especially Ross Noble seemed pretty natural in the latest episode. This isn't something that actively annoys me at all.

the thing i'm missing, is some technical info
bhp, torque, weight, ... if matt does the review, you're lucky he mentions the number of cylinders

Because Matt is the kinda guy who doesn't give a rats ass about number, all he wants is to have a good time.

And Ross Noble was awesome.