The Consumer Warning thread

Speaking of LED lamps I bought an Ikea Jansjo Desk Lamp a few years ago for reading. It's a nice cheap lamp except the power button stopped working after a year. Thankfully it was a simple inline power switch and was easily replaced with an after market part.

Crystallized Ginger Slices.

It thought it'd be like eating ginger ale.

I was wrong. These are gross and just looking at it makes me sick.

Ginger products are dangerous, they can be either super bland or mouth-on-fire spicy. There is no middle ground.

KKS4S34.jpg

Bought these from the local Aldi - i usually buy lean pockets but figured, for the price savings, why not give them a try. I mean, they look the same right?

Oh I was wrong, so wrong. I scanned the ingredient list as I was reading the directions and happened to notice that blue cheese is a unusually prominent ingrediant? Weird for something that makes no mention of this and looks like cheddar cheese on the box graphic.

Who knows, I said to myself as I hit the start button, maybe they need to use a bit of it to make it taste comperable to Hot Pockets.

Within 1 minute I knew I was wrong...it smelled of blue cheese terribly. blue cheese is funky and gross, do not want. I didn't even make it through microwaving, after opening the microwave halfway in and gagging on the blue cheese smell, I threw it away.

Dinner was rice a roni that evening. Needless to say, never again.

KKS4S34.jpg

Bought these from the local Aldi - i usually buy lean pockets but figured, for the price savings, why not give them a try. I mean, they look the same right?

Oh I was wrong, so wrong. I scanned the ingredient list as I was reading the directions and happened to notice that blue cheese is a unusually prominent ingrediant? Weird for something that makes no mention of this and looks like cheddar cheese on the box graphic.

Who knows, I said to myself as I hit the start button, maybe they need to use a bit of it to make it taste comperable to Hot Pockets.

Within 1 minute I knew I was wrong...it smelled of blue cheese terribly. blue cheese is funky and gross, do not want. I didn't even make it through microwaving, after opening the microwave halfway in and gagging on the blue cheese smell, I threw it away.

Dinner was rice a roni that evening. Needless to say, never again.

Dude, Hot Pockets are known as Hot Vomit for a reason. And you're wondering why the generic, lower quality clones are bad????

Stuff like that is why I don't shop at Aldi. Why should I have to roll the dice on whether something's any good?

Stuff like that is why I don't shop at Aldi. Why should I have to roll the dice on whether something's any good?

It's the same thing at other stores with their house brands as well.

Aldi's been increasing their name brand counts in their stores lately, possibly because their competition have been dropping prices on their house brands below what Aldi's been selling theirs at. Also partially because some people have a similar opinion and they want to get those people into the stores, too.

I picked up 6x White Castles in the frozen section for 20% less than anywhere else, for example. And they're carrying some General Mills cereals and such as well.

Dude, Hot Pockets are known as Hot Vomit for a reason. And you're wondering why the generic, lower quality clones are bad????

I actually like them, at least the ham and cheese Lean Pockets. :dunno:

I want to try the pot pie ones...but I cannot find them. One day....

This has to be a new low, off-brand Hot Pockets.

:lol: See below. :)

It's the Aldi house brand version.

This.

Honestly, about 95% of the stuff I buy there is on point. The store's about 20 minutes away compared to 3-5 for the other grocery stores near me, so I try to go if something in the Aldi App catches my eye.

I also like seeing the random special buys - they had a ton of car related stuff recently, like jack stands and a mechanics creeper. Dunno if I'd trust the former though lol.

[video=youtube;N-i9GXbptog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-i9GXbptog[/video]

That is the first thing I went looking for. :lol:

qNRMorF.jpg

Bought from Aldi a few weeks ago, was looking for something different than chicken or turkey.

Opened today for the first time, whew..the garlic smell. Flipped over and saw "granulated garlic" among the ingredients.

Microwaved on bread. Opened microwave "this is pungent"....tasted it:

Q0Riydj.gif

I think you should cook more and buy less of that :p

Yeah, learning to cook will save you more than that whatever that... is

and there's nothing wrong with powdered garlic, if you leave meat in a fridge and not frozen FOR WEEKS that's your own fault if it goes bad. protein needs to be frozen and then thawed once. Same goes for bread really, freeze your bread it will triple the life, and still good

Last edited:
I think you should cook more and buy less of that :p

But it's low fat and gluten free!

Yeah, learning to cook will save you more than that whatever that... is

and there's nothing wrong with powdered garlic, if you leave meat in a fridge and not frozen FOR WEEKS that's your own fault if it goes bad. protein needs to be frozen and then thawed once. Same goes for bread really, freeze your bread it will triple the life, and still good

This was packaged lunch meat though (read: precooked and safe to eat as is), I've never heard of someone freezing lunch meat.

My grandma froze bread...I could tell that it came from the freezer. :/

We used to freeze lunch meat all the time, but generally just bologna if i remember right.