The crash test thread

LeVeL

Forum Addict
After reading the discussion in Idiots + Cars = LOL I wondered how safe my cars are.

I knew that the Miata isn't very impressive:

NHTSA Ratings:
Front Driver: 4/5
Front Passenger: 5/5
Side Driver: 3/5

--

I had no idea about the TL though but apparently it's quite good:

NHTSA Ratings:
Front Driver: 5/5
Front Passenger: 5/5
Side Driver: 4/5
Side Passenger: 5/5
4x2 Rollover: 4/5

IIHS Ratings:
Moderate overlap front: Good
Side: Good
Head restraints & seats: Moderate

How about your car?
NHTSA link
IIHS link

My 2006 Honda Civic Si did pretty good. The 4-door was a Top Safety Pick by the IIHS. The 2-door didn't do as well in side impact tests, but still scored acceptable. With the coupe the majority of the impact was on the door, but with the sedan the impact was almost squarely on the B pillar, which resulted in top marks.

coupe.jpg

IIHS 2-door Ratings:
Side: Acceptable
Head restraints & seats: Good

sedan.jpg

IIHS 4-door Ratings:
Side: Good
Roof strength: Good
Head restraints & seats: Good

IIHS has no data on the RX-8 <_<

It gets mixed 4-5 star ratings on NHTSA, 5 star on front passenger (but not front driver) and rollover.

The '06 Magnum has pretty good results from the NTHSA, minimal info from IIHS.

Front Impact:
Driver Side 5/5
Passenger 5/5

Side Impact:
Driver Side 4/5
Passenger 5/5

Rollover: 4/5

Oddly, there's a major discrepancy between the NHTSA and the IIHS for our Fusion.

The NHTSA ratings are as follows:

Front Impact:
Driver Side 4/5
Passenger 4/5

Side Impact:
Driver Side 4/5
Passenger 4/5

However, the IIHS rates the side impact as Poor as apparently the dummy got whacked in the head by the test object through the window.

I didn't look up the Jeep, the page probably just says "Good luck, try not to die."

Last edited:
Oddly, there's a major discrepancy between the NHTSA and the IIHS for our Fusion.

The NHTSA ratings are as follows:

Front Impact:
Driver Side 4/5
Passenger 4/5

Side Impact:
Driver Side 4/5
Passenger 4/5

However, the IIHS rates the side impact as Poor as apparently the dummy got whacked in the head by the test object through the window.

The IIHS and NHTSA side impact tests differ in very meaningful ways:

NHTSA:
Consumer Reports said:
NHTSA's side-impact test represents a vehicle struck on the left side by a 3,015-pound car traveling at 38.5 mph. Such a scenario mimics what could happen if you were hit on the side at an intersection. Individual side-impact star-rating scores are assigned to the driver and left-rear passenger.

For pre-2011 models, only a chest-injury measure dictated the score. For 2011 and later models, the score factors in head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis data for the driver and injury to the head and pelvis for the rear-seat passenger.

IIHS:
Consumer Reports said:
The IIHS side-impact test is more severe than NHTSA's. The test uses a heavier striking barrier at 3,300 pounds, compared with NHTSA's at 3,015 pounds. Further, the IIHS barrier strikes higher up on the tested vehicle to simulate a car being hit on the side at 90 degrees by a typical-height SUV or truck. The IIHS bases its scores on head, neck, chest, abdomen, pelvis, and leg injury.

The two dummies in the IIHS side-crash test represent a small adult female or a 12-year-old adolescent. One is the driver, the other a left-rear passenger. Other crash tests performed by NHTSA and the IIHS use a dummy that simulates an average-sized adult male.

Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/08/crash-test-101/index.htm

Merc 5/5 stars

Voyager was weird animal. UK version apparently sucked badly, receiving only 1,5 stars. LHD version is luckily (for me) a lot better, given a four-star rating.

Scorpio not surprisingly never tested due to the terrible sales figures. I'm sure it can be crashed too.

Mine's a 2002MY, 4-door. I guess it's decent for a 90s car.
[video=youtube;KO-WZgDZbNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO-WZgDZbNI[/video]

Well, I already tested the rollover safety of a W124 once, and I'd give it a 5/5-star rating, wouldn't roll again :)
Frontal crash test

They didn't do any offset crash testing with the W116,
w116crash.jpg

116T.jpg

but some guy named Sepp Maier did a pretty good presentation of the worst side impact you can still walk away from :blink:
Sepp-Maier-Mercedes-S-Klasse-W-116-f498x333-F4F4F2-C-188fc5cd-361117.jpg
Atleast it says he only got bruised in the article...

While I have a touring, I doubt it's too much different on frontal impact

And the lack of roof on my car probably wouldn't help here.. :p

1er can perform better just in a small overlap crash (how surprising).

They did that at 70 km/h. Only dummies that pay for brand name bottled water crash into poles at that speed. :p

720HD

I love how the center air vent and a water bottle do a slow ballet dance through the air.

That was 1997 model which didn't have side airbags as standard like later models from 1998 onwards. 3/5 Euro NCAP stars.

Watching the latest crop of IIHS small overlap videos when suddenly

O6sTA2J.png

6Mi6zo6.png

:lol:

This is the best I could find...

I should put the work box up on blocks and let it run up mileage that way.

Close enough to what I have.

Last edited: